Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 11:14 AM

Wait, a Navy issue what?? Well, you learn something every day. Thanks for that Omega.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-21-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
My grandfather passed in the early 70's and left each kid a old steamer trunk.
In mine was a Swiss Hebdomas Pocket watch and his Navy issued reusable condom that was as thick as a raincoat and was folded in thirds. Wishful thinking perhaps , but you could slip it over the wide end of a baseball bat.

Also a cool old Lusitania Medal.
I only want to see two of those items framed in a shadow box on your wall when I visit!
Old 04-21-2018, 03:00 PM

when dad passed in the 80's left me my grandfathers anvil which
is over 100 yrs old which my son will end up with.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:41 PM

Old 04-21-2018, 04:09 PM

I have been fortunate enough to inherit a number of family heirlooms. My grandfather fought & served in France from 1914-1918, and survived the (infamous) Battle of the Somme in 1916. Enlisted in Belfast Northern Ireland in 1914 at the ripe old age of 18 .... can't even to begin to imagine how I would feel if it was my 18 year old son. In my possession are his 'dog-tags', military issued prayer book, a silver German cigarette case (never did hear the story on that one), as well as his military service medals. He lived a long, interesting life and died peacefully scant years years short of his 100th birthday. Both my parents worked when I was in school and I spent a lot of time with him. He was quiet man, but greatly respected. He was (and still is) a great man in my eyes and the single biggest reason I have so much respect for anyone who serves. Only fitting that I honour his memory with this post.

PHOTO:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VCQsse2x7ZH7Hy0G3

Last edited by lone wolf; 04-21-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guster View Post
when dad passed in the 80's left me my grandfathers anvil which
is over 100 yrs old which my son will end up with.
That's something that will last for ever.

What brand of anvil is it, do you have pictures?
Old 04-21-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
I have been fortunate enough to inherit a number of family heirlooms. My grandfather fought & served in France from 1914-1918, and survived the (infamous) Battle of the Somme in 1916. Enlisted in Belfast Northern Ireland in 1914 at the ripe old age of 18 .... can't even to begin to imagine how I would feel if it was my 18 year old son. In my possession are his 'dog-tags', military issued prayer book, a silver German cigarette case (never did hear the story on that one), as well as his military service medals. He lived a long, interesting life and died peacefully scant years years short of his 100th birthday. Both my parents worked when I was in school and I spent a lot of time with him. He was quiet man, but greatly respected. He was (and still is) a great man in my eyes and the single biggest reason I have so much respect for anyone who serves. Only fitting that I honour his memory with this post.

Thanks for sharing. I couldn't imagine how kids these days would be in war at 18. Over there all alone, no tide pods or instagram in sight.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:30 PM

Pic of my Grandfather in Brunkild Manitoba in April 1916.
He is on the upper right and was 14 years old at the time.
Later on he left me his military reuseable condom as a keepsake

Old 04-23-2018, 01:59 PM

I have all my grandfathers stuff from WWII. I donated his rifle to the museum which now I wish I didn't.
I have all the medals he had and the ones he took off the German's. I have his train ticket for when he went out east for the war, food ration card, hat. its pretty awesome going through it with my kids as well.

pretty awesome going through his stuff. If I get around to it, I'll pull everything out and post pictures
Old 12-18-2018, 09:55 PM

When cleaning up my late Uncles estate last year I found a homemade rolling cart/shelving unit that was made of old plywood signs. They were the old type of professionally hand-painted signs from the 1950's that advertised the construction company my Grandpa and his two brothers operated, our family name is visible on it as that's what the company was named. Its built of the signs and 1" steel pipe, threaded tee's and flanges. Its very campy and I think its great.

Bumping to hear more stories about your times spent with Gramps or Grandma, friends, etc and the things you value that remind you of those times.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:10 PM

I have my moms report cards she got while in nursing school in the 50’s and her nursing pin that she always wore on her uniform.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
When cleaning up my late Uncles estate last year I found a homemade rolling cart/shelving unit that was made of old plywood signs. They were the old type of professionally hand-painted signs from the 1950's that advertised the construction company my Grandpa and his two brothers operated, our family name is visible on it as that's what the company was named. Its built of the signs and 1" steel pipe, threaded tee's and flanges. Its very campy and I think its great.

Bumping to hear more stories about your times spent with Gramps or Grandma, friends, etc and the things you value that remind you of those times.
Good call Caber, this thread needed a bump.

That homemade sign sounds neat too. I always like looking at projects built in unconventional ways with what people had. Wondering what they were thinking about while building that particular project.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Good call Caber, this thread needed a bump.

That homemade sign sounds neat too. I always like looking at projects built in unconventional ways with what people had. Wondering what they were thinking about while building that particular project.
My Dad has a large drawer unit in his garage that my Grandpa built out of the same painted construction company signs, though on that unit you have to pull the drawers out and look inside it to reveal any lettering. Its about 5 1/2' wide and 40" or so tall. The drawers are in around 6 or 7 columns of 5 or 6 drawers of varying depth which increases for each descending row. 1/3 of the drawers have cut down waxed paper milk cartons for parts organizers, the more shallow higher drawers for smaller parts are lined with flip-top Rothmans cigarette packages with the flip-tops cut off. Its a combination of a reminder that I come from a well-established line of handymen as well as a reminder of why Grandpa died when I was 13.......
Old 12-20-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I can and will....pretty simple but actually quite well made, looking at it we could still use it but actually haven't made our own kraut in a while. I noticed in my initial post I talked about slicing 'lettuce'...that's how long it's been, apparently I don't know the difference between cabbage and lettuce even !

Also a picture of the crock, my wife has been using it to store her dried flowers in (yes, I still get her flowers sometimes even!)....
hahahahaha.... I had to check to see if my cabbage slicer and crock was still here...I have the exact same two items....What are the chances....lol

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:53 PM

Pretty likely actually, Graybeard. A crock and slicer were apparently very common, everybody made kraut, nobody would even think of buying it. They sure are nice heirloom pieces though, right?

I was just looking at this thread again, and figured I would add two pieces. In the spring of 1967, shortly after I was born, dad bought a business in Cardston on main street, a tire shop. Apparently it was originally the M.D. Building (it had a really cool and massive walk in safe, wish I had it in my basement!)...anyway, when he bought it, there was an old oak stool at the counter, and a bronze fire extinguisher behind the front door. I grew up sitting on that stool, coloring, stamping his invoice books, spinning, and generally trying to stay out of his way. And I always liked the way that extinguisher sparkled in the sun coming in the big windows.

Dad sold the shop some time ago, and he passed away a few years ago, but before he did, I was visiting him at his home in Coaldale, and saw the extinguisher in the corner of his garage under an inch of dust. He was going to flat out give it to me, but my siblings would have had something to say about that (family, yep)...so I did him a deal and made a kit of sweet Spanish wine he liked and bottled it in exchange. The stool I got after some wonderful family discussions (dad had said he wanted me to have it)....anyway.. good memories from them. That stool is still as solid and tight as the day they made it, and will still be good 100 years from now, and in fact the manufactures is still in business (Krug Furniture in Kitchener ON). They don't make them like they used to!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181220_124033.jpg (50.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181220_124236.jpg (38.5 KB, 24 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-20-2018 at 01:04 PM.