Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 06:27 PM

Default Couple pics

I wish I had taken better pics but I was in a hurry and took in 23 yokes 120 rats and 2 beaver that I had done to ship them off to the auction. Got another 30 yotes to get done and another 100+ rats as well. I wish the auctions wet later in the spring as it seems tough to catch and put fire up at the same time.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 PM

strong work!!!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM

I'm sure there is a neighbor in his window saying Haha.
But nice work, you should be getting some good payout in this February auction!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTrapper View Post
I'm sure there is a neighbor in his window saying Haha.
But nice work, you should be getting some good payout in this February auction!
The neighbours already do that with all the blood around on the driveway lol I feel bad for them living next to me
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Banned

Looking good there Nube! I'm in a similar type of neighbourhood on the edge of town and by now my neighbours are used to seeing magpies hanging around.....lol!

Do you do all of your work in the garage and do you have any concerns about fleas? I'm planning on using one side of my garage but this is something that I've thought about.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:56 PM

I don't have any dogs so not worried about the fleas. We had a few bites we found and I must have had a few follow me in the house. The wife was MAD. As far as I know they can't live on humans and after the fee bites we had a week later we have not had anything else. It may have been a couple spider bites for all we know? I am not sure how long they can live without warm and fresh animals blood but I am the same as you and I don't like the flea thing. I usually spray the crotch area of the yotes when I hang them as I find that is where the most of them hang out. I also notice that the weasels have them more times than not. Not sure why
Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I don't have any dogs so not worried about the fleas. We had a few bites we found and I must have had a few follow me in the house. The wife was MAD. As far as I know they can't live on humans and after the fee bites we had a week later we have not had anything else. It may have been a couple spider bites for all we know? I am not sure how long they can live without warm and fresh animals blood but I am the same as you and I don't like the flea thing. I usually spray the crotch area of the yotes when I hang them as I find that is where the most of them hang out. I also notice that the weasels have them more times than not. Not sure why
Hey Nube!

I am going to be hauling in some Weasels (Hopefully ) and I was going to skin them outside because of the glands. (When I skin them, I always hit them ) But should I throw them in a garbage bag and use the "Raid" on them just to be safe?
Thanks!
-Nick
Old 01-02-2014, 08:25 PM

I usually only see a few on them at most. MNot a big deal I don't think but if it freaks you out then spray them in a bag I guess. How many have you got so far?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 PM

Lookin good! Some nice yodels in there. Shipped my stuff out today as well.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 PM

Well done.
What do you do in your spare time? lol
Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Well done.
What do you do in your spare time? lol
Go to work lol
Got any Pics 357P?
Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 PM

No pics of shipment, was in a hurry to get to work. Here is one of last weeks catch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.2 KB, 382 views)
Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 PM

When I'd moved to a house in camrose, I was trapping beaver in the battle river and would bring them into the garage to skin an stretch. So I'd haul my mornings catch into the garage then put a log or two in the stove. Seemed pretty normal to me.
The neighbors would see me go in with the beavers and then smoke would come out the chimney. Next thing I know all the neighbors are talking about me burning beaver to heat my garage. Bylaw officer wasn't going to listen to me and informed me that I'm not in the country anymore and just can't be burning beaver anymore. Lol. The smoke smelled much better to the neighbors after I explained what I was doing.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
When I'd moved to a house in camrose, I was trapping beaver in the battle river and would bring them into the garage to skin an stretch. So I'd haul my mornings catch into the garage then put a log or two in the stove. Seemed pretty normal to me.
The neighbors would see me go in with the beavers and then smoke would come out the chimney. Next thing I know all the neighbors are talking about me burning beaver to heat my garage. Bylaw officer wasn't going to listen to me and informed me that I'm not in the country anymore and just can't be burning beaver anymore. Lol. The smoke smelled much better to the neighbors after I explained what I was doing.
You have no idea how hard I just laughed. Wow

Shoulda said " is there a law against burning beaver"
Old 01-02-2014, 10:45 PM

Nice haul Nube. Have to give you credit for trapping while living in town, the neighbors are prob watching.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
You have no idea how hard I just laughed. Wow

Shoulda said " is there a law against burning beaver"
Not sure, but there is definitely an ointment
Old 01-02-2014, 11:00 PM

Thanks guys!
357P I have a question about the weasels. I tried hard this year on them and had a pile around but I caught so many mice in my rat traps it was crazy. How do you set your weasel sets? I use muskrat for bait with Lure and the mice love it lol. I only got 3 weasels in a couple weeks of trying with about a dozen boxes
Old 01-03-2014, 08:55 AM

Most weasels get caught as a bait thief in our marten sets, but we do Have some boxes with rat traps out that catch a few. Maybe get one or 2 mice per winter that's it. But I noticed when I use the boxes around farmland area or even by my chicken barn I get alot of mice.

Some really nice lookin weasels out there this winter, and a lot of them. If we really targeted them I think getting few hundred wouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 PM

Default A couple pics

Nice work Nube. All I have is one picture of my fall rats...always forget to take pictures. Bringing the last of my fur in Monday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fall Fur 2013.jpg (52.3 KB, 261 views)
Old 01-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Banned

Nice , but really just using a little discretion and judgement . But why would you display all that in a urban setting if you have a choice ?
Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauna View Post
Nice , but really just using a little discretion and judgement . But why would you display all that in a urban setting if you have a choice ?

why not show every one! it's an awesome pile of yotes that took a tonne of work too get too that stage. defiantly something to be proud of.

if you don't like it, your not Canadian.

nube, here's how you stop catching mice in rat traps. but will still take ermine.

just received a powder order via courier. it was full of the perfect packing peanuts.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
nube, here's how you stop catching mice in rat traps. but will still take ermine.
Excellent idea! At my age I'm still learning new tricks, amazing.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Hey Brag, thanks a ton and a good idea. I guess the key is to find out what is too much padding and not enough. I have the ones with the plastic pans and I was looking at them today and it looks like I can also set to more or less weight and might have to fool around with it a bit.

Kauna, What did you want me to do with the fur to take a pic? Should I have pranced down the street to the local park space where I could take a better picture? Like I said I was in a hurry and did the best I could. I don't feel like humping all that fur through3 feet of snow to the backyard either. I love to see pictures of guys and their trapping. I wish more wet posted. I thought I would throw up a couple. I really wish I would take the camera out with me on the trail and get some good pics. Thanks for those of you that post them up.

Spruce, that is a great haul of rats. You can't treacly appreciate the size of that pile unless you are a guy that traps volume rats like that. I got another 50+ done the last few days as wells another 15 coyotes. I hope I can get another 8 more yotes dried and another 30 rats before the 6th. Then I got to go catch a pile more cause there is space in the freezer now finally lol
Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
why not show every one! it's an awesome pile of yotes that took a tonne of work too get too that stage. defiantly something to be proud of.

if you don't like it, your not Canadian.

just received a powder order via courier. it was full of the perfect packing peanuts.
Hey Brag.

My traps I modified to use an iTunes gift card because Rona and Canadian Tire did not have the plastic pans
Will padding still work or do I need to replace the trigger with what you have there?
Thanks!

-Nick
Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 PM

I cant figure out how to make the pic load upright? but here are the marten I have done so far

Attachment 84487
Old 01-03-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by war-dog View Post
I cant figure out how to make the pic load upright? but here are the marten I have done so far

Attachment 84487
I see it didn't work can anyone point me in the right direction of why the pic didn't work. I'm doing this on my phone and got it right from my photo albums. I have lots of pics to share just can't get them to work
Old 01-03-2014, 09:52 PM

Got to photobucket.com and down;load the pic off your phone or computer onto photo bucket. Then when your pic is loaded in photbucket there will be url code or a picture code that you just copy and past on here. The pic will work after that. There might be a sticky around that may help as well or do a search on putting pictures up on here and you will get a better idea if you need it.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by war-dog View Post
I see it didn't work can anyone point me in the right direction of why the pic didn't work. I'm doing this on my phone and got it right from my photo albums. I have lots of pics to share just can't get them to work
Here you go buddy, read over this! Hope it helps!
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=82419
Old 01-04-2014, 03:34 PM

Looks good. I don"t have that much fun anymore. Keep on trapping.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Hey Brag, thanks a ton and a good idea. I guess the key is to find out what is too much padding and not enough. I have the ones with the plastic pans and I was looking at them today and it looks like I can also set to more or less weight and might have to fool around with it a bit.

Kauna, What did you want me to do with the fur to take a pic? Should I have pranced down the street to the local park space where I could take a better picture? Like I said I was in a hurry and did the best I could. I don't feel like humping all that fur through3 feet of snow to the backyard either. I love to see pictures of guys and their trapping. I wish more wet posted. I thought I would throw up a couple. I really wish I would take the camera out with me on the trail and get some good pics. Thanks for those of you that post them up.

Spruce, that is a great haul of rats. You can't treacly appreciate the size of that pile unless you are a guy that traps volume rats like that. I got another 50+ done the last few days as wells another 15 coyotes. I hope I can get another 8 more yotes dried and another 30 rats before the 6th. Then I got to go catch a pile more cause there is space in the freezer now finally lol
Nube, was just trying to think like your neighbors, u did well