Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-25-2012, 10:08 AM

Default call educating coyotes

what do u guys think of calling in coyotes and shooting at em and missing, will these dogs come back in to calls? i haven't missed yet but i had a few stands where they came in at my back and winded me before i could get the shot off and took off for the bush.... my question is will they come in to a call ever again?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:37 PM

If you crancked a shot at them they will know. But if you didn't get a shot of they will come back. I had one come in to my caller and caught my scent a week later same area same dog came into the same call n we got her a big female .
Old 01-25-2012, 12:40 PM

By next year they will come again.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Gone Hunting

I'm not sure why anyone would practice "shoot and release' . I think you should kill them if they come to the call.

Here's a pic of 4 educated coyotes. they learned if they come to the call they win a dirt nap.
These are four of seven that came in. As you can see the rifle is a single shot Ruger #1. The first coyote was shot at 60 yards. The rest ran off. I called them back, a second won bit the dust and the remaining 5 ran off. I called them back, another one died and so on till the last of the four died at 180 yards. the remaining three would no longer come back.

I have done this several times.

I have had some come in one day and not get killed only to come in the next day and get killed.

The thing with coyotes is the are thugs and punks. Make a rule and they will break it. That's what makes them a challenge to call in to the gun. Sometimes it is very hard to call them in, so you better bring your "A" game when it comes to shooting.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand