Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2016, 12:38 PM

Talking Banff gets nearly $40 million to improve campground, day use areas and wildlife underpasses

BANFF — A $39.3-million injection into Banff National Park will be used to rehabilitate several wildlife underpasses, upgrade the decades-old Lake Louise campground and improve the day use areas around Bow Lake and Peyto Lake.

The money, announced Thursday by federal Environment and Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna, is in addition to infrastructure funding announced by the previous government prior to last fall’s election.

“This is additional money,” she said, following a press conference outside the historic Cave and Basin National Historic Site in Banff. “In terms of the money that was announced before, I think we are still proceeding.

“The big focus here, which is really exciting, is … restoring the ecological integrity of Banff National Park — we are going to be reinvesting in wildlife corridors, and it’s amazing to see we are world leaders in this area.

“Also, species at risk through the fire restoration program.”

There’s $6.2 million to rehabilitate three wildlife underpasses underneath the Trans-Canada Highway and another $49,300 to help stop the decline of Whitebark pine, a species at risk in the park.

Jodi Hilty, president and chief scientist of the Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative, said she’s thrilled that the federal government is investing in conservation issues that are important to the entire region.

“The initial investment in overpasses and underpasses is amazing — it’s one of the most progressive wildlife crossing structures in the world,” she said of the structures that help animals safely cross the busy highway. “They do need continued maintenance to be functional.

“We know they are really important to wildlife.”

Secondly, McKenna said the money will focus on the visitor experience by spending $14.5 million to repave the Trans-Canada Highway through the park and $4.8 million to improve the Lake Louise campground, which will include upgrades to the campsites, roads, shelters and washrooms.

Another $6.8 million will be spent on adding washroom facilities and restoring the waterfront at Bow Lake day use area, while $2.5 million will be spent to redesign parking lots at Peyto Lake day use area.

Karen Sorensen, mayor of Banff, said the funding will directly benefit visitors in the park.

“I am glad to see reinvestment dollars to go back into that,” she said. “For us, Banff depends on tourism and reinvestment in product is what keeps people coming here.

“We’re very excited.”

Sorensen said she would like to see the government invest some additional funding into reducing congestion.

“We continue to talk to Parks Canada,” she said, noting they are working to deal with the issue as visitation to the park continues to grow — with nearly four million visitors to Banff National Park in the past year.

The third part of McKenna’s announcement was to promote Metis culture by adding programs to the Rocky Mountain House National Historic Site, which is located northwest of Banff.

The funding is in addition to last year’s infrastructure investments, which included $117.5 million to repave portions of the Trans-Canada Highway, fix aging wildlife fencing and widen the Bow Valley Parkway. Another $44.2-million was previously announced to fix trails, repair parking lots and improve the Tunnel Mountain campground.

Some of that work is ongoing, but most of the projects as part of the latest commitment aren’t expected to begin until 2017 or later.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:29 PM

I am hoping this translates into real jobs for real people in Alberta now.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:29 PM

Good news I suppose. $6.2 million to rehabilitate three wildlife underpasses underneath the Trans-Canada Highway, Another $6.8 million will be spent on adding washroom facilities and restoring the waterfront at Bow Lake day use area. Can these things not be done for a lot less money?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:33 PM
Banned

When will they fence the railroads thru the Parks and construct safe wildlife passages over the railroads ? The railroad kills huge numbers of wildlife , 24/7
Old 03-17-2016, 03:48 PM

Default underpasses

I thought they were replacing the underpasses with overpasses because the bears wouldn't use them
Old 03-17-2016, 03:57 PM

Some of the infrastructure in our mountain parks is pretty dilapidated and somewhat of a national embarrassment for such beautiful places that attract millions of visitors.

I glad to see a decade of Harper budget cuts and neglect for our National Parks finally turned around.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Good news I suppose. $6.2 million to rehabilitate three wildlife underpasses underneath the Trans-Canada Highway, Another $6.8 million will be spent on adding washroom facilities and restoring the waterfront at Bow Lake day use area. Can these things not be done for a lot less money?
x2, sounds like a lot of pork involved here. How do you rehabilitate a Wildlife underpass ? Also Wildfire damage ? The only recent fires in the National Parks have been Controlled burns.

Grizz
Old 03-17-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
x2, sounds like a lot of pork involved here. How do you rehabilitate a Wildlife underpass ? Also Wildfire damage ? The only recent fires in the National Parks have been Controlled burns.

Grizz
I dunno, it's just a big culvert. Brown envelopes maybe?
Old 03-17-2016, 04:55 PM
Banned

This is great news ! Money well spent.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
There was a huge burn two years ago between Banff and Jasper IIRC.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:56 PM

Awesome news 3 wild life corridors and a bathroom are the most pressing issues in Alberta right now. Money well spent indeed.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Awesome news 3 wild life corridors and a bathroom are the most pressing issues in Alberta right now. Money well spent indeed.
No doubt, of course with all the enviro issues this will balloon into 500 million wait and see, typical gov't
Old 03-17-2016, 06:44 PM

Better than a golf course! More of us regular people can enjoy these improvements!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:34 PM

Default Bison

They gotta get ready for the Bison Airdrop, don't they?
Old 03-17-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
There was a huge burn two years ago between Banff and Jasper IIRC
Wasn't this burn around Saskatchewan crossing and the majority of the burn is outside the park into the Siffleur Wilderness?

Regardless, money spent on the parks is a good thing but those better be some darn nice toilets for the price tag. Can't believe how pricey the project is.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Some of the infrastructure in our mountain parks is pretty dilapidated and somewhat of a national embarrassment for such beautiful places that attract millions of visitors.

I glad to see a decade of Harper budget cuts and neglect for our National Parks finally turned around.

Have fun explaining to your kids why they have to spend their working lives paying off a bloated liberal debt because of your ignorance. Give that airhead camera hoe enough time and he'll ring it up to match Ontario.

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 03-17-2016, 10:09 PM

Default Upgrades?

Total waste of money. What Banff needs is more campgrounds, not wasting a bunch of money upgrading facilities that are completely adequate as is , when there are hundreds of people per day that pass through Banff every day of the summer looking for a campsite that doesn't exist. Our national parks are a joke. One of the greatest places on the planet, but if you're a tax paying Albertan that can't book your camping trips 90 days in advance, you're SOL. Last summer on my way home from a BC camping trip, we were coming through Banff at about 8 on a Wednesday. No sites anywhere. Hit the hot springs, rolled out the awning, set up the chairs, had a rum, and went to bed. Great view right by the base of the gondola. Woke up early the next day and headed home. Come to think of it, I wish Alberta had their own version of "Camp Free in BC". But we all know that is not going to happen. Ever.
Cheers
Old 03-17-2016, 10:16 PM
Banned

Maybe after the new upgrades are in place they will introduce buffalo back into the area. Expansions for wild life to move more freely will eventually help us hunters in my opinion. It may take some time but as the populations increase I would think they will head further east
Old 03-17-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Maybe after the new upgrades are in place they will introduce buffalo back into the area. Expansions for wild life to move more freely will eventually help us hunters in my opinion. It may take some time but as the populations increase I would think they will head further east

The buffalo are coming, guy I talked to claims there is 60. M earmarked for that little project. He was replying to my question of why the road to the Ya Ha tinda had been widened with turn outs. Guess that's the way they are bringing them.

Grizz
Old 03-18-2016, 05:59 AM

Dosn't seem like enough money for the projects. The road paving alone will be a fortune. I like the Idea though. All infrustructure in the province has been ignored far too long! Previous Gov's !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Banff National Park is technically Canada not Alberta. Albertans are not worthy.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
You're right, when americans are flocking up here because of the dollar, why spend money on the parks.

Better yet, why spend money and either create jobs or let people keep jobs by upgrading the parks, when times are slow and contractors should be at a better rate than the last 5 years.

I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Better than a golf course! More of us regular people can enjoy these improvements!
I beg to differ, do you know how many international travelers that course used to bring in? Do you know how much money they pumped into the local economy (and by local I mean alberta)?

While I agree a golf course seems like a silly thing, Kananaskis golf course was a world renowned, world class course, that should be repaired and ASAP.

If the government was smart, they'd let private investors buy shares (keep majority though), and get it done.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
You're right, when americans are flocking up here because of the dollar, why spend money on the parks.

Better yet, why spend money and either create jobs or let people keep jobs by upgrading the parks, when times are slow and contractors should be at a better rate than the last 5 years.

I see nothing wrong with it.
Wild life corridors and a new bathroom will defiantly boost tourism. I guess I never thought of it like that before!

There are plenty of great contractors from Quebec that can take on this job I am sure. Win for everyone!
Old 03-18-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Total waste of money. What Banff needs is more campgrounds, not wasting a bunch of money upgrading facilities that are completely adequate as is , when there are hundreds of people per day that pass through Banff every day of the summer looking for a campsite that doesn't exist. Our national parks are a joke. One of the greatest places on the planet, but if you're a tax paying Albertan that can't book your camping trips 90 days in advance, you're SOL. Last summer on my way home from a BC camping trip, we were coming through Banff at about 8 on a Wednesday. No sites anywhere. Hit the hot springs, rolled out the awning, set up the chairs, had a rum, and went to bed. Great view right by the base of the gondola. Woke up early the next day and headed home. Come to think of it, I wish Alberta had their own version of "Camp Free in BC". But we all know that is not going to happen. Ever.
Cheers

I agree, they need to add some new campgrounds, BUT I DO NOT want it to end up being free camping. Tourists are bad enough in the park, we don't need RV'ers camping all over the place.

I personally think there needs to be more between Banff & Jasper, along with expanding some of the current ones closer to attractions.

OH.. and stop making them ****ing parking lots.. Leave some space and trees between the spots.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Banned

Agreed, camp sights should have a minimum of five feet of full bush all around the sight. I stayed at 3 jack parking lot in Banff for a couple days one year and never again. It is a campground, but I'd call it a parking lot that resembles a campground because of the fire pits.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post

So its cool with you we are borrowing huge amounts of money from our children to install washrooms at a campground?

Or do you just assume Trulanders money tree has already started producing fruit this season?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
So its cool with you we are borrowing huge amounts of money from our children to install washrooms at a campground?
Are you ok with borrowing huge amounts of money from our kids to build an arena for a billionaire to allow millionaires to play in?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Are you ok with borrowing huge amounts of money from our kids to build an arena for a billionaire to allow millionaires to play in?
No? Why in the heck would I be okay with that?

That's a strange argument to justify the expenditure... just because your in a hole doesn't mean its a great idea to keep digging away.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
No? Why in the heck would I be okay with that?

That's a strange argument to justify the expenditure... just because your in a hole doesn't mean its a great idea to keep digging away.
ok.. So when are they supposed to "spend?"

Wait until there's gigantic surpluses during the "boom" (that's sarcasm), where they pay a premium for sub-par work, or by creating jobs when times are tough. The PC's ****ed up all our "surplus's", and were cutting like mad when times were good. YES.. Now is the best time to spend. It goes along with the same mentality as to why their are tons of new buildings going up in downtown calgary RIGHT NOW, even though there's already empty buildings just sitting there. Cheaper labour, and cheaper materials.

Right now there are alot tourists coming to Canada (specifically americans), so spending abit of money to improve some of the attractions is a good idea.