Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-30-2010, 11:56 AM

Default Fort Mcmurray Gun Show Purchases

I made two trips to the show,and I only purchased some bullets and primers on the first trip,so I spent very little.However ,I went back to challenge the boat operators test,and things got expensive quick.Just across from the boat operators challenge.Will Bilozir had a display of shotguns including guns by FAIR.I have seen the guns before,but none were close to fitting me,so I didn't pay them much attention.However,Will had just measured a friend for a custom fit gun which I thought would be quite expensive.To my surprise,non standard stock dimensions add only about $100 to the price of the gun.I then looked through the price list and had Will price me out a new FAIR 20 gauge sporting clays gun,which even with the custom stock,was much cheaper than a Citori sporting clays gun.As a bonus,it came with unported barrels,so it will be suitable as a hunting gun as well.I had Will measure me up,and the gun should be delivered around the end of July.A friend also ordered a shotgun from Will,and a third order will likely be placed Monday by another friend,so Cat won't be the only one shooting skeet at Fort McMurray with a FAIR shotgun.
So overall,I purchased a shotgun,some bullets,primers,and I got my boat operators license.
The show was well attended,and there were a few very good displays,but it would have been nice to have a few more gun dealers attend in place of the choppers which are in no way hunting or shooting related.

Who attended the show,and what did you purchase?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:43 PM

so your saying the Fort Mac skeet range just got a little more FAIRer between the shooters. Nice purchase they are very nice guns.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
so your saying the Fort Mac skeet range just got a little more FAIRer between the shooters.
LMAO!! That's funny , right there!
As a natter of fact, there are about 5 FAIR guns that get shot here, but elkhunter has not run into them except for mine , my son's, and Manitoban's guns.
elkhunter's will be the first SC gun up here as far as I know however - can't wait to see it!
EH, John came back today and ordered up a 20 gauge!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-30-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:51 PM

I was originally going to order a dedicated skeet gun,but Will informed me that it would be a better idea to order the sporting clays instead,because the interchangeable chokes come standard,instead of paying more to put them in a skeet gun.I really wanted a Carrera,but it wasn't available in 20gauge,so I went with the Master Deluxe.

Quote:
EH, John came back today and ordered up a 20 gauge!
He better have,he has been complaining about not being able to find a gun that fits him for two years.
When Will told me that he could supply a custom fitted gun for only $100 more,I called John,and told him to get down to the show and get measured.I was however surprised when he told me he was going to order a 20gauge,considering that he has been using 3" magnum 12gauge loads to hunt pheasant and upland birds.I guess his trip to the skeet range and seeing what the smaller gauges can do, convinced him that he didn't need such heavy loads.Now we just have to get him out shooting skeet before the bird season opens.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:07 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;598526]I was originally going to order a dedicated skeet gun,but Will informed me that it would be a better idea to order the sporting clays instead,because the interchangeable chokes come standard,instead of paying more to put them in a skeet gun.I really wanted a Carrera,but it wasn't available in 20gauge,
so I went with the Master Deluxe.[QUOTE]

The master Deluxe is also one I contemplated , but I have my eye on a SXS side lock Ugartechea !

Quote:
He better have,he has been complaining about not being able to find a gun that fits him for two years.
When Will told me that he could supply a custom fitted gun for only $100 more,I called John,and told him to get down to the show and get measured.I was however surprised when he told me he was going to order a 20gauge,considering that he has been using 3" magnum 12gauge loads to hunt pheasant and upland birds.I guess his trip to the skeet range and seeing what the smaller gauges can do, convinced him that he didn't need such heavy loads.Now we just have to get him out shooting skeet before the bird season opens.
No kidding, every time I saw him at work it was the same story about ill fitting guns, semis because he is a lousy shot, and "We should go shooting sometime"!
I told him the club is open every Sunday , but if he wanted to get out during the week for some lessons to simply call, and he did not need a 12 , just a proper fitting shotgun!
he is going to be AMAZED once he gets onto that 20!
Cat
Old 05-30-2010, 07:02 PM

I got a new 40 cal. glock and 500 rounds of ammo so there will be a fun day at the range on the next day off
Old 05-30-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmac78 View Post
I got a new 40 cal. glock and 500 rounds of ammo so there will be a fun day at the range on the next day off
WOOHOO! I can see a dillon 550B in your future!!
Cat
Old 05-30-2010, 08:04 PM

I went there looking at getting fitted for a 12g semi, but didn't find anyone.
I too found A Fair shot gun that had my name on it, 16G jubilee Prestige, most likley place a order soon if not sold. Made me remember how much I miss the old SKB 605.
Was pretty busy friday night, would have liked to see a few outfiters and several of the Edemonton sports stores. Just as well I was on shift, as more time and it might have gotten expensive.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:59 PM

Picked up a scope for my plinker, grabbed some cleaning supplies...almost bought a bolt 223 for getting some practice in on my shooting but could not find anything good in the limited used stuff that was around.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 PM

Believe it or not, there was not one Marlin 336 in sight! I only had one item on my shopping list so I went home empty handed.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 AM

i picked up the timber hawk "kill shot" day pack. one of the nicest packs ive seen in a while, plus the sausage was good so bought some of that. probably only took 300 out of me before i bailed.

did anyone take a look at that ISI timeshare thing ? looks interesting but i cant help but feel like its a rip for some reason. just that something doesnt seem right about it.

heres a link about that pack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IldTjQhb3Ek
Old 06-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Default items

went to every booth and cleaned them outta 38-55 ammo also got a cleaning rod for my 300 and some of that wipe out stuff which i must say works awsome