Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-22-2008, 11:38 AM

Default Scope for a 300 win mag

So this season me and a buddy are planning an elk hunt possibly a moose hunt this season, and I dont know how I feel about using my 270 on animals any larger than deer, so I am looking at buy a 300 win mag sometime in the summer. Can you guys recomend some scopes for the gun, I dont got very much to spend budget MAYBE $150.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffer View Post
So this season me and a buddy are planning an elk hunt possibly a moose hunt this season, and I dont know how I feel about using my 270 on animals any larger than deer, so I am looking at buy a 300 win mag sometime in the summer. Can you guys recomend some scopes for the gun, I dont got very much to spend budget MAYBE $150.

Thanks
There are many scopes out there that are cheap, but reliability issues are abundnat with those, especially on magnums.
I'm sure you will have people post in about how well their's do, but IMO you would be far better off using that money for handloading equipment and getting deadly with your 270.
There is no problem hunting anything in Alberta with one, just use the right bullet and put it where it is supposed to go.
Cat
Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There are many scopes out there that are cheap, but reliability issues are abundnat with those, especially on magnums.
I'm sure you will have people post in about how well their's do, but IMO you would be far better off using that money for handloading equipment and getting deadly with your 270.
There is no problem hunting anything in Alberta with one, just use the right bullet and put it where it is supposed to go.
Cat
x 2^^^^^

Cheap scopes are just that, cheap, and usually because no QC goes into the manufacturing process, that's why you get the some peole like theirs while others say they had nothing but trouble with theirs.
Usually expect to pay close to the new rifle price in optics and mounts (Savage/Steven's are a bit diffrent)

There are no absolutes
Old 03-22-2008, 12:12 PM

X3
Old 03-22-2008, 12:16 PM

Default scope suggestion

I'd suggest a Redfield wide angle 2-7 or 3-9
Also, you cant go wrong with a Burris . Both are really good products.
The values are usually under $150.
I personally don't care for Bushnell products in the low price range
You can find a used scope at any gunshow !
Old 03-22-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
I'd suggest a Redfield wide angle 2-7 or 3-9
Also, you cant go wrong with a Burris . Both are really good products.
The values are usually under $150.
I personally don't care for Bushnell products in the low price range
You can find a used scope at any gunshow !
Hold on there Al when's the last time you bought a scope?
Wide field Redfields have'nt been around for almost 20 years. Redfield is now owned by the same outfit who makes Simmon's
And I have'nt seen a sub $200.00 Burris scope for almost as long.
As for used scopes at a gunshow, well you pays your money and you takes your chances. I'd like a warrenty just because. (Leupold is a diffrent horse with warrenty)

There are no absolutes
Old 03-22-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Hold on there Al when's the last time you bought a scope?
Wide field Redfields have'nt been around for almost 20 years. Redfield is now owned by the same outfit who makes Simmon's
And I have'nt seen a sub $200.00 Burris scope for almost as long.
As for used scopes at a gunshow, well you pays your money and you takes your chances. I'd like a warrenty just because. (Leupold is a diffrent horse with warrenty)
I was scratchin' my head at that one also!!
I often quote a price then realize that maybe i'm a tad outdated??!!
However, maybe Al has some really good gunshow dealers?
Cat
Old 03-22-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffer View Post

Thanks
BTW, I just saw a pic of a MUSKOX that was shot with a 270 win!
cat
Old 03-22-2008, 02:39 PM

Save up till you can afford a good scope . If you put sub- standard optics on now you'll only have to upgrade them later.Leupold is my pick and not the 1/2 moa adjustment Rifleman series......................Harold * Know anyone going to the States? [VXII 3X9X40mm $299]
Old 03-22-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
X4
Old 03-22-2008, 09:29 PM

catnthehat's right - hell with a new rifle. Your .270 will do the job, and don't let the magnum hounds harass you about it. When it comes to scopes, I still believe a good scope and rings/mounts should cost as much as most off the shelf rifles. Try out the Hornady Lt Mag 140 grainers - lots of smack IF your gun shoots them straight. If not, Federal Game Kings, Win Supreme Accubonds, whatever. If you know a handloader you have months to fireform and fit a powerhouse that your gun really likes. The .270 always will be the one that everything else is compared to.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Banned

Pick up a Vari-x 2 (or 3) that has been used.

You will never regrett it.

Jamie
Old 03-22-2008, 11:44 PM

Even though im a fan of the .300 Win Mag. your 270 would be absoulty fine to take with you for both elk and moose!!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 PM

Default scope

Save a while longer you can buy a Leupold vx-1 for about $350.00 best scope for the money, and warranty in okotoks