Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM

Default 22WMR on yotes?

Wondering what you think. I'm not advocating. I really don't know. Various sites seem to suggest you can. Ballistics charts show 30 to 40 grain bullets with muzzle velocities of 2000 - 2200 fps and 320 ft/lb energy and around 1500 fps and 160 ft/lb at 100 yards. Also have 100 yard zeros with maybe +.8" at fifty yards.

So would you use a .22WMR on coyotes? and to what range? I was thinking within 100 yards, short range weapon. If I don't use this I'll turn to my .270 or old .303 LOL I'm not buying another rifle at this time.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Banned

100 yrd coyotes do just fine with magnum rimfire, difference between .22 mag and .17 hmr isn't much worth talking about for that application...if you can 'front end' the coyotes no prob in the 100 yrd range then you'll find them from 0-60 yrds typically from where they were standing when you shot them, don't waste your time trying for headshots either, the little round has plenty of penetration for the front end of a coyote and the kill zone there is 5 times bigger than the brain....so your 5 times more likely to hit the kill zone by going with same aim points you would use on a big game animal....so your 5 times more likely you'll find your coyote after you pull the trigger....its a no brainer.....literally ....i've killed about 20 with .17 hmr now, shot one on friday actually and my Dad just dropped a pair this morning with a .17 hmr also

one thing i have noticed is the more frangible bullets anchor them quicker...i tried a delayed expansion xtp type bullet for them and they ran 2x to 4x's further than when i shot them with the explosive v-max bullets....so pick the fastest velocity rapid expansion type bullets 1st....don't worry...they don't 'splash on the surface' and you'll get all the penetration you need and anchor them quicker that way....i've done the experimenting for real and i've seen the difference first hand
Old 03-13-2008, 04:33 PM

Default 22 Lr

Out to 100 yards 22 LR will do them in just fine.. 17 hmr and 22 WMR work better,

Shot hundreds with a 22LR when I was a kid!... usually right off the swather or tractor! or combine... old open sight cooey!...it was death on coyotes.. get a family of them mousing and would jut stop machine and pick em off... they wouldn't eve hear the noise over the machinery!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:11 PM

I have never bothered to try a mag rimfire on a coyote it should "work". But I have seen them take dump trucks full of punishment from bigger guns and keep going. Just not quite enough to be reliable
Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 AM

i have a couple of 22 mags. i like them for jack rabbits and also as a scare gun for coyotes etc, where i walk the dog.
they are nice and light and reasonably accurate at 100 yards. and no worries about picking up brass out of the snow.
they wouldn't be my first choice for a deliberate coyote hunt tho. i am sure they would take a coyote out to 100 yards, but i would prefer a 22 centrefire.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 AM

Yeah, not my first choice either, but it's that or the .270 or .303 LOL.... then I started thinking!!!!! If I sell the .22WMR perhaps I could buy a .204 and justify it as a trade-off rather than ANOTHER new gun to the wife!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
then I started thinking!!!!! If I sell the .22WMR perhaps I could buy a .204 and justify it as a trade-off rather than ANOTHER new gun to the wife!
Now that's thinkin "out of the box"
If the "wife" accepts that one, GO FOR IT.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 03-18-2008, 01:54 PM

Stinky

Do you shoot yotes year round for fun or do you have a ranch?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:30 PM
willy11

Used a 22 mag for years on coyotes, work just fine. I try to limit to 100-120 yds, but that's me.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:51 PM

IMHO a 22 mag is marginal coyote killer at best, and, I'd have to state that the 17HMR sits in the same category. I'll relate one of my experiences with the 22WMR. A few years back we used to wait for coyotes at the edge of a swamp at first light. They would be up frolicking all night at the chicken barns about 1 1/2 miles away. My brother would go up there and raise havoc with them and they'd come trotting over; it was really quite humorous and very predictable. Anyways, I watched this big male come right up to me, he kept looking back to see what all the ruckus was at the barns, finally he got close, the distance was like 35 yds, he turned again, quartering away, and I shot him back in the ribs, angling towards his off shoulder, he dropped and then ran right past me. There was hardly any blood and I could only follow his tracks in the thick swamp for about 75 yds. I searched, but never found that coyote. I was disheartened! I've killed coyotes with the 22mag, but find it marginal. Shortly after that experience, my 22mag was retired as a coyote gun, and it was replaced with a 17 Remington
Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin View Post
Stinky

Do you shoot yotes year round for fun
Yup.

And no i don't have a ranch.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 AM

any use for the hides in the summer?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Banned

I agree on the 100-120 yrd top end range for the magnum rimfires. Its a niche thing for me. I have access to a wide range of land types, big farms/ranches to small acreages. I use centerfire a bunch but often switch to the .17 hmr for the acreage stuff.....i have just as much fun doing the acreage stuff. But you definitely have limitations when moving down to the magnum rimfire so you just have to work within them is all.....but you can be very successful all the same.

I was talking to a long time rimfire hunter from a different part of the continent not too long ago and he brought up some interesting thoughts he had on the subject when i had come to the conclusion via my own testing that the more explosive bullets worked much better than the delayed expansion bullets even on the bigger targets like coyotes.

He had shot racoons and woodchucks his whole life with .22 mag and then started experimenting with the .17 hmr when it came out. He found that the explosive bullets in the .17 hmr seemed much more lethal than they should be based on the 'numbers' (ft/lbs etc.) and was trying to figure out why?

He experimented with the v-max (explosive), tnt (explosive), and the xtp (delayed expansion mushrooming) and both the v-max and tnt anchored the coons/chucks with a single body shot where the xtp would often require a few follow up shots. He did like the xtp for saving meat on certain types of critters by head shooting but that was it.

He said by his experimenting the tnt proved to penetrate a little deeper before blowing up than the v-max and that it opened up and or tumbled much more reliably than the v-max at extended range so that has become his bullet of choice now that he's tried them all extensively since the .17 hmr came out.

He said the reason must be a combination of velocity and bullet rpm. The .17 hmr has a 1 in 9 twist...more like a centerfire....and the .22's have 1 in 16 type twist. So not only is the .17 hmr going alot faster at impact the bullet has a whole bunch more 'rpm' also....so with the explosive bullets that means you get a much more serious explosion inside.

It made perfect sense to me and i never even thought about the rate of twist having anything to do with it but i believe that now because the little hmr with explosive bullets kills pretty impressively for its diminutive little size.

Just front end coyotes 0-120 yrds and they are done, either on the spot or they'll do a 50 yrd runner tops for the most part. The shooter has to be able to do his part....if he doesn't he'll end up blaming the cartridge for not being strong enough for the job.....but believe me (and a zillion other guys also doing it) the cartridge is plenty for a coyote in that range.

That same guy mentioned to me that he has tried and continues to try any new .22 magnum cartridge that comes out that looks to be faster and more explosive but finds the bullets too fat and to slow to explode like the .17 hmr does.....this is a long time .22 mag guy converted to the .17 hmr.....and by the sounds of it he wasn't converted easily and still is trying to compare the latest rounds to come out but so far his #1 is hmr with tnt ammo and v-max #2. (unless your head shooting to save meat then it basically doesn't matter and prefer to stick to a more solid bullet for less damage in that instance)

I'm now giving the tnt ammo a try. I shot one running and had to catch up to her for finishing so i can't comment yet on direct comparisons....i knew it would be an ugly affair but it was at a permission where the family just lost favorite mumma barn cat (sad grandkids etc.) so if there was a way i could drag a dead coyote out of their place it was going to happen...it wasn't a 'hunt' but rather a 'population control' thing so save any critique for another day.

However....i give my CZ Varmint back to my Dad after rezeroing with TNT ammo and the very next morning he dumps a pair at 100 yrds (maybe a little less) and both dropped on the spot and Dad said he hasn't shot an ammo that rocked them like that through the .17 hmr yet....he said the 'thump' was extremely impressive and noticeable. So thats encouraging. He was having his morning coffee when he saw a big male trotting closer and looking at something....went to get the hmr that i just dropped off and when he came back there was a female that went submissive and layed on her back when the male came up to her. He dumped the male, the female got up went 10' and stopped so he dumped her too. He was pretty excited about it on the phone.

So there you go, i'll have more to report on the tnt ammo by next winter i'm sure but it looks even more promising than the v-max. Oh, and on a 10 shot string the tnt averaged 2542 fps out of the CZ varmint and the v-max only did 2495 fps.....so the tnt was 47 fps faster...plus it shot just as accurate (last group of day while zeroing was 6 shots...1 in tube 5 in mag....was about 3/4".....5 of the 6 went 1/2" easy...i musta pulled one).

Food for thought eh boys??

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 03-20-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin View Post
any use for the hides in the summer?
only hides i keep are really big old males close to 40 lbs if prime (keep them for myself and family etc.)....otherwise i don't shoot enough in a year to make it worth skinnin their sorry stinkin flea bitten arses...i'm a recreational caller and do it mostly where they are thick and the landowners cant see enough of them dead....the only use most of them see is for a picture and then to feed the birds

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 03-19-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 PM
willy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
only hides i keep are really big old males close to 40 lbs if prime (keep them for myself and family etc.)....otherwise i don't shoot enough in a year to make it worth skinnin their sorry stinkin flea bitten arses...i'm a recreational caller and do it mostly where they are thick and the landowners cant see enough of them dead....the only use most of them see is for a picture and then to feed the birds
That's the same reason why I hunt them year round up here Peace River. Gets me out of the house, practices my shooting and stealth for deer season, plus it's just plain fun and a great challenge. Lots of coyotes eating lots of baby calves and horses, not to mention the deer. Gotta thin 'em out a little.