Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Not = in the eyes of the law

Default Not = in the eyes of the law

I pulled this off the net today.
It just gets to me that Indigenous people may be exempt from this "federal Law".Not to mention other laws such as freedom from taxation.
I'm not a biggot by any means and in fact am a visible minority who is well known in the community.

What this law says is that natives won't have to comply on the firearms registry.

Judge extends Inuit gun law exemption
Last Updated Wed, 09 Jul 2003 12:34:01
NUNAVUT - Inuit in Nunavut are still protected from the federal firearms registry after a judge ruled that requiring Inuit to register their guns may infringe on their traditional rights.

INDEPTH: Firearms Act

"I'm very pleased particularly for the hunters and for their families who've relied on this practice to feed their families," said Nunavut premier, Paul Okalik.
Nunavut judge Robert Kilpatrick said requiring Inuit to register their guns could interfere with their traditional way of life.

He granted a temporary injunction that protects Inuit until a lawsuit filed by NTI, Nunavut's Land Claims organization, goes to court.

BACKGROUNDER: Nunavut

The ruling means that Inuit are entitled to all the rights assured under the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement, enacted 10 years ago today.

Cathy Towtongie, NTI's president, says she wants Ottawa to recognize Inuit want what's been promised to them.

Cathy Towtongie

"It's very clear in the Nunavut land claims agreement that the government of Canada can not impose any licence or fees on Inuit," she said.

"We're grateful to the courts for being realistic."

Judge Kilpatrick also turned down Ottawa's request to dismiss the case, saying it should continue as planned.

It's expected in court next year.

Written by CBC News Online staff
Old 07-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Bright side

Default Bright side

the bright side of this is that when it comes to the Supreme Court to decide if/how the current legislation infringes on our rights this may be able to be used as some sort of precident. I beleive we all have justification for being exempted from this law in its current state.. and that the government knows this, that is why they are not charging those individuals currently doing the cross country tour providing the RCMP with proof they own unregistered arms and not being charged under the act! this is clearly not a law of the people and as such it is not enforceable.

www.lufa.ca/news/news_ite...ewsID=2146

Regards,
Salty
Old 07-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Cundilini

Default Not equal?

That's outstanding. Maybe the fed's will extend that right to native gangs in Edmonton. The begining (or continuation) of the end of the gun registry.

I told a lady today from the FFC that I wasn't prepared to pay $25.00 to register a firearm, I'm not sure that they were trained as to how to respond to that. I also asked what would happen if I tried to register a firearm after the deadline and she said "nothing." So, these deadlines are akin to saying "the cheque's in the mail." What a pathetic, expensive waste of time and money.