Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Can you still register

Default Can you still register

Can you still register your guns without getting in any trouble.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:02 AM
Don Meredith

Shawners,

The short answer is apparently, "yes."

Here's the text of the latest news release on the subject from the Firearms Centre.

Don

--------------------------------------------

Firearms Registration Grace Period Successful - Solicitor General
Ottawa, July 4, 2003 – Federal Solicitor General Wayne Easter today commented on the outcome of the extended grace period for firearms registration, which ended June 30, 2003.

"The June 28 – July 2 period was extremely busy for the Canadian Firearms Centre. Our system was tested, but it withstood the strain," said Minister Easter. "I congratulate the staff for their efforts to ensure that those who decided to register at the last minute could do so."

As of June 30th, 6.4 million firearms have been registered. The Solicitor General stated: "Registrations do continue to come in – in fact, on July 1 and 2, applications for almost 32,000 additional firearms were received." The Centre continues to receive and process more firearms registration applications.

"I want to thank those who have registered for acting responsibly and complying with this important law. By doing so, you have provided police with vital information to assist in criminal investigations and have reduced the risk of firearms-related death and injury," said Minister Easter. "I commit to further enhancement of the program to ensure it remains well-managed and accountable."

People who have not obtained a licence or registered their firearms can still submit their applications without penalty. Owners should act quickly however, since they are liable to have firearms seized or charges laid if found by police to be in violation of the law.

The Canadian Firearms Centre has introduced many improvements to its services, including no-charge, on-line registration. Firearm owners can also check the status of their licence and registration applications and perform address changes through the Centre's website at www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca. Properly completed registration applications are processed within 30 days and licence applications within 45 days.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:02 AM
They won't charge you because..

Default They won't charge you because..

They won't charge anyone attempting to register their firearms because they know as soon as they charge the first one, the other X million of us unregistered owners' firearms will never be registered. They know they're in a pickle with this legislation, they're scared to charge anyone with owning an unregistered firearm because they know their at risk of loosing in the courts.. take a look at the charges they laid on Oscar Lanscombe(sp?) they didn't charge him with possessing an unregistered firearm as he had intended, they charged him with bringing a weapon to a protest. Pretty lame!

www.lufa.ca/news/news_ite...ewsID=2497

Regards,

Salty
Old 11-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Gun Registration

Default Gun Registration

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:30 PM
Registering late

Default Registering late

I did my gun and my dads for him online this month. They took my info with no reprocussions. Im still not happy I had to do it though.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:23 PM
chef

Default Re: Registering late

just registered one of my guns i was thinkin of selling but changed my mind so i registered and they had the certificate to me in 8 days so i dont think there is a backlog at the moment and im sure there will never be a time its too late with all the crap they have created.