Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 PM
gitrdun

Default Question for Featherweight experts.

After quite a bit of searching, I finally found a Winchester M70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts. I'm wondering if any of you fine people out there might be able to tell me whether the barrel is supposed to be free floated. I know that some light sporter barrels are set up with a bit of upward pressure, is the Featherweight such a case?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:16 AM

Default Feathers

I have a feather in 257 Roberts, not FF, have a pre 64 308 feather, not FF.
I have a feather in 257 AI, not FF. I had a feather in 300 WSM, was not FF.
FS
Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 AM

I my memory serves me correct they have a pressure point at the forend tip.
Can I ask why this is a necessary consideration?

There are no absolutes
Old 03-21-2008, 08:29 AM

Seen it done both ways, I see if it shoots first then work from there, if it shoots, I look no further unless the groups open up. With a wood stock I've had some problems with the forend pressure vs free float after hunting in the rain for a few days.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:39 AM

When I accurize a light barreled rifle, the action gets bedded and the barrel floated
If I can't get it to group better than before I bedded the action, the pressure point goes back in.
Some will, some won't.
Cat
Old 03-21-2008, 10:18 AM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I my memory serves me correct they have a pressure point at the forend tip.
Can I ask why this is a necessary consideration?
No reason in particular. I've bedded other rifles in the past, all were free floated. I was looking at over closely and noticed that it didn't appear to be. My load development is going well enough that I don't necessarily feel the urge to change it.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
No reason in particular. I've bedded other rifles in the past, all were free floated. I was looking at over closely and noticed that it didn't appear to be. My load development is going well enough that I don't necessarily feel the urge to change it.

Never just do anything bedding wise permenatly, without first doing a bit of experimenting first. By all menas bed the recoil lug, but dont go hogging out the barrel channel to free float the barrel, with out first doing the old shim and shoot trick, it just might happen that on your particular rifle it will prefer some forend pressure to shoot well.
You never know from one rifle to the next so dont go friggin with to many varibles at once.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-21-2008, 01:03 PM

What Dick said.

Just shim under the recoil lug until the barrel free floats (business cards work good) and try shooting that way.

I've had owned a bunch of M70 featherweights and most of them have shot best with a bit of forend pressure. You can experiment with this as well by puttin shims in the barrel channel to vary the pressure.

In any event most featherweights are not going to shoot as well as a heavier barrel after about the 3rd or 4th shot. The barrels just heat up too quickly and POI starts to move around.

I usually just play round until I can get the first 2 shots out of a cold barrel to touch. Good enough for hunting.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
What Dick said.

Just shim under the recoil lug until the barrel free floats (business cards work good) and try shooting that way.

I've had owned a bunch of M70 featherweights and most of them have shot best with a bit of forend pressure. You can experiment with this as well by puttin shims in the barrel channel to vary the pressure.

In any event most featherweights are not going to shoot as well as a heavier barrel after about the 3rd or 4th shot. The barrels just heat up too quickly and POI starts to move around.

I usually just play round until I can get the first 2 shots out of a cold barrel to touch. Good enough for hunting.
I agree with both you and Dick, no worries I wouldn't go friggin with it without adequate testing. What you said about the first two shoots is absolutely how this rig shoots most groups. I did have one where all three shots nearly touched but velocity was a bit lame I thaught. Thanks for the good advise.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 AM

i had one in 257 roberts model 70 win featherlight
it was free floated glass bedded
it was a tack driver at 100/200 yards

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 03-22-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-22-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
When I accurize a light barreled rifle, the action gets bedded and the barrel floated
If I can't get it to group better than before I bedded the action, the pressure point goes back in.
Some will, some won't.
Cat
I guess maybe I should qualify this statemant!
When I am asked to accurize a rifle , I shoot it first to make sure it needs it!
If things are kittywonkuss ( tech term) then I do th stuff to it, otherwise , I simply make sure the stock is well sealed and work up loads for it...
Cat
Old 03-22-2008, 02:33 PM

I have a stainless FWT classic in .270 I wouldn't dare touch with a screwdriver it shoots so nice.And a FWT 6.5X55 that was glass bedded and free floated that shoots great as well.All guns are different try it first.I know of a gun writer that bought a secondhand .257 FWT that the previous owner said had erratic accuracy.Turns out the fore end screw was too long and pressing on the barrel.The new owner cut off a 1/4" and had an instant one holer..........................Harold
Old 03-24-2008, 07:28 AM

I currently have a 270 in a Win featherwight and a 257 A.I. in a Win featherweight. Both were average shooters until I put a pressure point about an inch back of the foreend tip. I've seen a number of Win Featherweights react similarly.