Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-19-2008, 04:05 PM

Default Interesting Bullet Comparison

Found this the other day, it's a comparison of different bullets. I'll try to insert a link? http://www.huntingmag.com/guns_loads...05?index2.html
Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM

Default try again

http://www.huntingmag.com/guns_loads...05/index2.html
Old 03-20-2008, 12:53 AM

I'd like to see some more medium testing of the Berger VLDs.....I can tell you for a fact that at 500yds they are going straight through 1/2" thick stainless steel plate with no cratering at all !!!! Even though the plate is hanging on chain, it does not even swing !!!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:10 AM

There was a better article done years ago in Gun Digest IIRC bt John Wooters about bullet expansion, killing , and such.
HIS test medium was animals - LIVE animals.
The fact remains ( and the writer of this article admits it himself) that you don't need a premium bullet to lkill game.
They look pretty after you recover them out of test medium, but the TRUE test of a bullet is after you dig it out of the animal you have killed with it.
I used to have more than a few non premium bullets kicking around that were taken from animals that look as good as some of those premiums in the article.
These were one shot kills.
This writer is doing nothing but selling a magazine article, and personally I wouldn't give that gold digger the time of day after the stunt he pulled with the short mag B.S. claiming they were "his" invention!
P.O.Ackley made the same thing years ago with a 348 Winchester necked down to .264 with the rim turned down and made beltless.

Cat
Old 03-20-2008, 09:23 AM

My experience is that any decent bullet will do just fine, as long as the bullet weight is matched to the job. I've used both standard and premium and have never lost a moose, deer or bear, There have been quite a few over the years, a required second shot is rare, just once on a moose, my fault not the bullets. The same is true for the people I've hunted with over the years.

I have done some expansion tests, but more to blast a few rounds and use up some odds and ends, pretty hard to get a real life test without doing it on something that has various density organs, bone, muscle, fluids, in the proper proportion and layers, etc. The test we did told us it is difficult to do a test, although we did have a great time doing it. A variety of game in a variety if situations is the best test. I have used Grand slam bullets in 160 7mm, have worked great, I know people who have used them in .25-06 115 or 120 ? and 6mm rem 100 gr. They have stopped using them as they had problems with not enough expansion ( then left an ity bity pencil hole as an exit ). Follow up shots were required. What works for one won't always work for all. Something like this may not show up in media testing. Likely show good results. I look at the expanded bullets in the article, they are all .30o win mag, so they might work great in 308, but not ness. in all calibers or at the range of speeds people are driving them at these days. 308 win or 30/378, those bullets will not perform the same way. Bullets I have stopped using in my 7mm stw my friend now uses with really good results in his 7x57. Those bullets shredded in mine and work just fine in his. 160 accubonds litterly explode in mine and don't penetrate, likely work great in a 280 rem.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:32 AM

I think the most important thing is finding a bullet that shoots accurate out of your gun.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
My experience is that any decent bullet will do just fine, as long as the bullet weight is matched to the job.
My experience has been that the construction of the bullet determines what bullet weight is matched to the job.As an example,a 140gr tsx is every bit as effective on moose and elk as a 160gr or 175gr partition,if all bullets are .284".