Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 AM

Default Chrony

I am looking to purchase a chronograph; my first one; and was looking for some advice on what features to look for as well as what brands seem to be better. As well what extras are worth getting (remote displays, printers etc..) Thanks!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:33 AM

I have one of the original Shooting Chronys, and it works for my purposes. I only use it when I'm developing loads, so I don't use it very often. It is as basic as they come and I write down each velocity reading and keep notes. I also usually do this at the range while no one else is there.

The remote read out would be a good feature if your range has a busy firing line. The print out would be a nice feature too, but for my purposes, keeping notes is good enough.

The nice thing about the Shooting Chrony models is their price is low. They are accurate and are a useful tool. The more expensive models will have print outs, and I'm sure a lot of other statistical information available. One problem that I have with my Shooting Chrony at times is that it won't give a reading in poor light conditions. I'm sure some of the more expensive models are more reliable when the light isn't ideal for measuring velocity.

Bottom line is that it comes down to how much you want to spend, and what and how often you plan on using it. I don't use mine that often, but it is a valuable tool, and the Shooting Chrony offers what I need.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 AM

I also have a shooting chrony the beta modle,,it will record 10 shots on 6 strings
and u can move the strings around for diffrent guns ur trying.it will keep the 10 shots in each string in memory till u delete them, so u can take it home and look at them. for what i need its does me good ..
i think the gamma has pc output also so u can take it home and load it up ..and use it in conjuction with ballistic software ,,,best bang for the buck,,, imo
Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 AM

I have a PACT. They are great, printer and complete ballistic annalysis machine all in one. Will give you vel. spreads,calculate trajectory,energy, even the amount of recoil developed by the load in your rifle. Then prints it out in a nice slip for your records. Well worht the extra $100 over a basic model.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 PM

Hey there surhuntsalot....could you give me the peticulars of the Chrony that you have...Make,model,price,where purchased,...any thing else you think is pertinant ...Thanks....SHORTMAG.........
Old 03-19-2008, 08:40 PM

Default shooting chrony

I have an older F1 model Shooting Chrony and am sending it in tomorrow for upgrading to the Gamma Master with ballistic printer. If you have a problem with the unit, you don't have to send the unit across the border for repairs or anything. The upgrade price is $160 plus shipping and tax. ($178 CDN total). I was considering a Pact with printer but found a lot of reviews that mentioned problems with them. If you want a basic Shooting Chrony, their website lists a reconditioned model for $63.