Canadas Outdoor Outfitters Wholesale Sports

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2020, 09:37 AM
summit151's Avatar
summit151 summit151 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 466
Default Spot and stalk black bear hunt?

I would like to try a spot and stalk black bear hunt this spring. I was thinking of trying wmu 318. I drove through it a bit last year and it looked like good country with lots of logging clearings that would make the spot and stalk hunting better. But the hunter harvest reports show that very few bears are shot out that area? I am wondering which other areas would be worth driving to if it has a better bear population. I am located in central Alberta


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 AM
Grizzly Adams's Avatar
Grizzly Adams Grizzly Adams is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 18,939
Default

We have this discussion every year, about this time. Sure, there are bears around, but they are few and far between and the success rates reflect it. The further North you go, the better.

Grizz
__________________
"Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal."
John E. Pfeiffer The Emergence of Man
written in 1969
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2020, 10:07 AM
SouthWestRanger SouthWestRanger is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 20
Default

Im going to second the notion that it gets better the further north you go, where in central Alberta are you and how far are you willing to drive, might help people recommend a more productive area
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 AM
calgarychef calgarychef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,652
Default

With the crops left in the field this year it might make for good conditions with hungry bears and oats and wheat on the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2020, 10:59 AM
Big Grey Wolf Big Grey Wolf is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,614
Default bear

In general very high black bear population in Northeastern (Cold lake) area of Alberta. Grizz eating the black bears in foothills.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-2020, 11:10 AM
Dean2's Avatar
Dean2 Dean2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 8,327
Default

https://www.alberta.ca/black-bears-overview.aspx#toc-0

This is the Alberta Gov bear density survey information. It is old data but the overall trends are probably still close. The density for Swan Hills is well under represented. May not be totally accurate but hope it helps.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-15-2020, 12:07 PM
Grizzly Adams's Avatar
Grizzly Adams Grizzly Adams is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 18,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
In general very high black bear population in Northeastern (Cold lake) area of Alberta. Grizz eating the black bears in foothills.
Athabasca area was apparently really bad last fall, bee keepers were taking a big hit.

Grizz
__________________
"Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal."
John E. Pfeiffer The Emergence of Man
written in 1969
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-15-2020, 06:10 PM
buckman buckman is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post
I would like to try a spot and stalk black bear hunt this spring. I was thinking of trying wmu 318. I drove through it a bit last year and it looked like good country with lots of logging clearings that would make the spot and stalk hunting better. But the hunter harvest reports show that very few bears are shot out that area? I am wondering which other areas would be worth driving to if it has a better bear population. I am located in central Alberta


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hunter harvest reports don't mean that much,many animals are never reported.

The river valleys west of you are likely spots in May/early June.

If you can find a good South facing clear area close to timber any bears in the area should show up, especially if dandelions are out.Try later in the afternoon when they seem to be more active.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-16-2020, 11:30 AM
Hunter4ever12's Avatar
Hunter4ever12 Hunter4ever12 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 443
Default

I’m with everyone else for up north. I live in the Hat and drive 9 hours NW every year to my spot. Always have great success.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-16-2020, 02:38 PM
calgarychef calgarychef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
Im with everyone else for up north. I live in the Hat and drive 9 hours NW every year to my spot. Always have great success.

Do you go in the spring or the fall?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-16-2020, 08:09 PM
Hunter4ever12's Avatar
Hunter4ever12 Hunter4ever12 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Do you go in the spring or the fall?
I always do spring hunt,keep telling myself I should go for a fall hunt every year but then bird season and scouting for November gets in the way. Some day though,Id like to taste a fall bear out and compare the difference between a spring one.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-16-2020, 10:43 PM
calgarychef calgarychef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
I always do spring hunt,keep telling myself I should go for a fall hunt every year but then bird season and scouting for November gets in the way. Some day though,Id like to taste a fall bear out and compare the difference between a spring one.
We got one a couple years ago with longbows and it was in the fall, theyre pretty yummy then.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.