Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-13-2020, 10:37 AM

Default I am looking for an upland dog trainer hopefully for a GWP

I live in Calgary and I am looking for a GWP trainer for upland birds.
My pup is 10 months old has been out hunting since she was 6 months old and doing well but I can't really trust her not to run away, especially if there is a rabbit around or if I miss a pheasant she will chase it for about 500 yrds before coming back.
I have not used an ecollar yet. She knows the whoa command, sit, stay and come. Heeling is coming along but all of that goes out the window when there are animal distractions.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:08 AM

Joining a NAVHDA chapter is a good idea, you will have access to a lot of knowledge, as well as access to a training field and birds. And if this is your first hunting dog, it will be beneficial to be involved with the training yourself, as you will earn as much as the dog.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:30 AM

Have you looked into www.ultimategundog.ca Andre trains waterfowl and upland dogs just located east of High River... You could at least call and have a talk with him and get a feel for what he could do
Old 02-13-2020, 12:09 PM

Give WW Birds from the forum a call to see if he will take your pup on. That would be my first call. It is never a bad thing when your dog trainer also owns a game bird shooting preserve Here is his website.

http://www.whitewolfbirds.com/

Should he not be able to, I would recommend either Ringneck Kennels or Blackfoot Kennels. Both are well regarded.

http://ringneckkennels.com/

http://www.blackfootkennels.ca/

All three are in southern Alberta close to Calgary.

Good luck. You've got a lovely dog. You will be amazed at what three months with a good trainer will produce.

There are others you will find with a Google search, but man o man, buyer beware. Hint: sometimes silence speaks louder than words.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:48 PM

randy Blanchard
Blackfoot kennels
Old 02-16-2020, 07:27 PM

Good idea seeking professional help. Another option would be get an ecollar, condition dog to it, reinforce commands with it. If he can hear you and is ignoring you let him feel it.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:09 PM

If your only problem is call back I would look for some one that will work with you in teaching collar conditioning and call back . If your pup is busting birds or creeping than I would suggest a trainer randy is who inused he is very knowledgable and does not let the dogs get away with anything . End result well trained dog . When I get my next pointer I will be looking for someone to train me in how to train the dog as I feel it will be more rewarding . Ps if your pup is at all timid or easily scared do not take them to randy .
Old 02-20-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
Ps if your pup is at all timid or easily scared do not take them to randy .
LMAO
Old 02-20-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
LMAO
Do you have anything of substance to add?

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-21-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
LMAO
Yes, what is your point?

If you have something to say then say it. If not, a response like this is just trolling, and I will have no issue infracting you for being a simple jerk.

Totally uncalled for.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
When I get my next pointer I will be looking for someone to train me in how to train the dog as I feel it will be more rewarding
Not only more rewarding, but even a well trained dog can be ruined by an owner that handles the dog poorly. I made some mistakes training my dog, but working with the local NAVHDA chapter, was a huge aid in correcting my mistakes, and in preventing me from teaching my dog even more bad habits.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:45 AM

X2 As a first timer joining NAVHDA was the best thing I did for my dog. I probably got trained as much as my dog.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisman View Post
I live in Calgary and I am looking for a GWP trainer for upland birds.
My pup is 10 months old has been out hunting since she was 6 months old and doing well but I can't really trust her not to run away, especially if there is a rabbit around or if I miss a pheasant she will chase it for about 500 yrds before coming back.
I have not used an ecollar yet. She knows the whoa command, sit, stay and come. Heeling is coming along but all of that goes out the window when there are animal distractions.
Join navhda 100% - you'll likely learn more in 1 day than your dog will.
https://www.wildrosenavhda.com/
The issue you're having is easily fixed with a couple training pigeons, a friend and a check cord. Shoot me a PM if you'd like some company training
Old 02-21-2020, 09:19 AM

I'm not a member of that Navhda group, but I have been out to Prairie Vista Navhda on a number of occasions to test and training days. I found the people to be quite nice, and for sure helpful. The key is not in being a wallflower when you get there. Introduce yourself to many people, and talk dogs. The members have no idea if you are brand new or an old hand.

https://www.prairievistanavhda.ca/

Last edited by sns2; 02-25-2020 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
If your only problem is call back I would look for some one that will work with you in teaching collar conditioning and call back . If your pup is busting birds or creeping than I would suggest a trainer randy is who inused he is very knowledgable and does not let the dogs get away with anything . End result well trained dog . When I get my next pointer I will be looking for someone to train me in how to train the dog as I feel it will be more rewarding . Ps if your pup is at all timid or easily scared do not take them to randy .
I used Randy too. I don’t know about being timid. My guy is pretty passive and did just fine. I think it’s more of a drive issue.