Canada’s Outdoor Outfitters Wholesale Sports

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Dougewasiuk Dougewasiuk is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 13
Default OnX maps for Alberta

Hey all. Just wanted to toss this out here. Not sure how many of you have seen or tried OnX maps. (Similar to ihunter, just more features, if we can get them) It's spectacular. In Alberta, they don't have many features though. I commented about this on the app and they mentioned to contact the help desk. The help desk responded and mentioned that they have had requests for maps in Canada. They said they add places and features via requests for those places. (They even added me to an email thread regarding my request)
So.... Get the requests out!! For me, adding the topo overlay (hybrid on OnX) and also adding the burns area history would be almost enough. The great part is downloading the areas and using them in airplane mode. To send your request email them at help@onxmaps.com. Just be specific on what you want added. OnX does work in Alberta, but not a lot of options. Like I said, the more we request stuff, the better chance we get some add ons.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2020, 06:38 PM
35 whelen's Avatar
35 whelen 35 whelen is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: N.W OF EDMONTON AND EAST OF GRAND PRAIRIE
Posts: 4,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougewasiuk View Post
Hey all. Just wanted to toss this out here. Not sure how many of you have seen or tried OnX maps. (Similar to ihunter, just more features, if we can get them) It's spectacular. In Alberta, they don't have many features though. I commented about this on the app and they mentioned to contact the help desk. The help desk responded and mentioned that they have had requests for maps in Canada. They said they add places and features via requests for those places. (They even added me to an email thread regarding my request)

So.... Get the requests out!! For me, adding the topo overlay (hybrid on OnX) and also adding the burns area history would be almost enough. The great part is downloading the areas and using them in airplane mode. To send your request email them at help@onxmaps.com. Just be specific on what you want added. OnX does work in Alberta, but not a lot of options. Like I said, the more we request stuff, the better chance we get some add ons.

Thanks.
Thanks I'll support a Canadian company ihunter

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2020, 07:00 PM
philintheblank's Avatar
philintheblank philintheblank is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 804
Default

Same here. I'm very happy with Ihunter and they are a Canadian company. Thanks though
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2020, 07:30 PM
Dougewasiuk Dougewasiuk is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 13
Default

I guess if you've never left Alberta or used anything else, I understand. I like ihunter. It just could be better. And options are always nice. 😊
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:25 PM
muirsy muirsy is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougewasiuk View Post
I guess if you've never left Alberta or used anything else, I understand. I like ihunter. It just could be better. And options are always nice. 😊
I agree, I use Ihunter and it's an awesome app - but could (and probably should) be a lot better in terms of features when stacked up against competitors like OnX.

I would happily pay a monthly subscription to IHunter if they provided an app with comparable features.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:40 PM
Dougewasiuk Dougewasiuk is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
I agree, I use Ihunter and it's an awesome app - but could (and probably should) be a lot better in terms of features when stacked up against competitors like OnX.

I would happily pay a monthly subscription to IHunter if they provided an app with comparable features.
💯 agree. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2020, 01:21 PM
Schilly97's Avatar
Schilly97 Schilly97 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fort McMurray
Posts: 15
Default

I use Ihunter also and do like it alot just wish they had more features like onX a new gps app that's really good and caught my eye is basemap they have a 3d mode (only works in the US sadly) which is a awesome feature if you're hunting out west or in and around coulees . They also have really high quality maps.and you can zoom right down to the ground and it's still very clear. I hope I hunter can eventually pick up some of these features.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2020, 02:18 PM
Dougewasiuk Dougewasiuk is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilly97 View Post
I use Ihunter also and do like it alot just wish they had more features like onX a new gps app that's really good and caught my eye is basemap they have a 3d mode (only works in the US sadly) which is a awesome feature if you're hunting out west or in and around coulees . They also have really high quality maps.and you can zoom right down to the ground and it's still very clear. I hope I hunter can eventually pick up some of these features.
Absolutely! I never ment to sound like I'm endorsing the OnX as the 1st reply seemed to suggest. I just want their features. I wouldn't think it would be a hard map overlay to add stuff. The map just needs to be available and the app needs to accept the file. I'd be up for a yearly fee to have those options. Definitely!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-30-2020, 04:17 PM
Schilly97's Avatar
Schilly97 Schilly97 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fort McMurray
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougewasiuk View Post
Absolutely! I never ment to sound like I'm endorsing the OnX as the 1st reply seemed to suggest. I just want their features. I wouldn't think it would be a hard map overlay to add stuff. The map just needs to be available and the app needs to accept the file. I'd be up for a yearly fee to have those options. Definitely!
Yeah I'd be up for a yearly fee to for some added featured and overlays! I find a hard time trying to find a map that is up to date for areas that I hunt. I usually run the Argics but I find its outdated now
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-15-2020, 10:09 PM
markmac markmac is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 63
Default

Hey all, what features does OnX have that iHunter does not? iHunter allows you to add unlimited number of base maps, map layers, etc with the Pro Tools. You can add burns, add topo on top of satellite, etc. You cannot switch into 3d mode, but I can't think of anything else that OnX has feature-wise that isn't available in iHunter. Please educate me!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-16-2020, 12:57 AM
Bigjohn87 Bigjohn87 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmac View Post
Hey all, what features does OnX have that iHunter does not? iHunter allows you to add unlimited number of base maps, map layers, etc with the Pro Tools. You can add burns, add topo on top of satellite, etc. You cannot switch into 3d mode, but I can't think of anything else that OnX has feature-wise that isn't available in iHunter. Please educate me!
Adding burns is a huge feature tho when it comes to big game hunting
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-2020, 12:25 PM
Dougewasiuk Dougewasiuk is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmac View Post
Hey all, what features does OnX have that iHunter does not? iHunter allows you to add unlimited number of base maps, map layers, etc with the Pro Tools. You can add burns, add topo on top of satellite, etc. You cannot switch into 3d mode, but I can't think of anything else that OnX has feature-wise that isn't available in iHunter. Please educate me!
For me it's the burns overlay and the topo overlay. Would be so nice if Ihunter had that option. If there is a way to do that on ihunter, please teach!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2020, 08:39 PM
ceadog ceadog is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 204
Default

I keep hoping that they’ll buy iHunter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-28-2020, 08:16 AM
arcticcathinda arcticcathinda is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24
Default

Ihunter does the trick, onX just takes it to a new level. I guess time will tell if the market in AB is big enough for onX to want to come in.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-02-2020, 11:09 PM
cphunter cphunter is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 22
Default

I hunter updates are an improvement, onyx is a step up, hopefully iHunter keeps developing more.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.