Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2019, 11:59 AM

Default September Waterfowl

Hello folks, I’m driving up to the Taber area from Arizona around the 3rd week of September and was looking for campground recommendations. Just the wife and and the pup and I. We’re pulling a 34’ 5th wheel and would like to find a decent place for our base camp. I want to freelance for waterfowl and just enjoy some decent fall weather. I’m also looking for advice on where to start scouting. I run a small spread of silos and a dozen or so duck decoys. I was looking at the triangle between Taber, Medicine Hat and Brooks. I realize that’s a huge area maybe one of you could narrow my scope some.

Thank you.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omotose View Post
Hello folks, I’m driving up to the Taber area from Arizona around the 3rd week of September and was looking for campground recommendations. Just the wife and and the pup and I. We’re pulling a 34’ 5th wheel and would like to find a decent place for our base camp. I want to freelance for waterfowl and just enjoy some decent fall weather. I’m also looking for advice on where to start scouting. I run a small spread of silos and a dozen or so duck decoys. I was looking at the triangle between Taber, Medicine Hat and Brooks. I realize that’s a huge area maybe one of you could narrow my scope some.

Thank you.
You might be a tad early for decent migrating birds for the time of year, maybe 2-3 weeks early. There will likely be local birds around, but by the time the locals get there digs in, those that remain will be very educated. Also that time of year may leave you with an incomplete field harvest as well.

I’m sure that the Travel Alberta website will give you lotsa RV intel.

Your time line is almost bang on for the Grande Prairie/ Peace River regions of Alberta.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-24-2019, 01:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

Thank you.
There is a great campground on Hwy 864 about 5 klms north of Taber.
Google M.D. of Taber park campground
good facilities lots of mature trees and backs onto a river.

I stay there every fall when I am hunting in th area.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:28 AM

Thanks Springerman. That campground does look pretty nice. One question. The website says they close the campground gates at night and reopen them at 7:00. There must be a way out to get an early start, yes?
Old 08-26-2019, 07:31 AM

That Peace River area is just too far North, it would cost me too much travel time. The area around Brooks looks decent. Plenty of water and agriculture. Maybe somewhere in that area?
Old 08-26-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
That Peace River area is just too far North, it would cost me too much travel time. The area around Brooks looks decent. Plenty of water and agriculture. Maybe somewhere in that area?
The further north you can manage the better at that time of year. Though don't get discouraged as there is still lots of birds to be hunted. All of the area you have described should be good hunting. As long as your around crop land you will find birds.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs