Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-24-2019, 09:34 AM

Default Remington 870 for Deer Hunting

I was wondering if I can use my 870 with a 28 inch barrel with Full Choke for deer hunting, or do I have to purchase a new barrel? Current barrel has interchangeable tubes from Full choke to modified. Gun can shoot 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2, if so what brand of slug would you recommend? Thanks. Thus will be my first year deer hunting in Alberta.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:54 AM

Heck of a first post.
Perhaps introducing yourself may garner more buy in, because your post verges on trolling to a great degree.

Regardless, welcome to the site.

To answer your rather neophyte style question:

Sure it can be done.
But.....
The sighting system pretty much leaves you wanting for any shots over 50 yds.

Unless mandated by law, why the shotgun? And if mandated by law, you’re likely better off with a dedicated slug barrel with a better sighting system.

If the decision isn’t driven by law, go buy a bubba’d .303 British for $150-$200 and hunt deer with that, because a slug barrel cost more than the old .303 British.

Otherwise

Stick to Foster style slugs, and switch to your Improved Cylinder choke, as the accuracy potential is usually better with that choke. Yes Foster slugs can be shot through most any choke, but a removable full choke is not the wisest choice, both for accuracy, and or health of the firearm.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-24-2019, 10:07 AM

An improved cylinder choke would be best, and as for if it's possible, yes, Youll be fine as long as you know where it is hitting compared to you looking at the sights. Dont try hunting until you've mastered success on paper. That will help you learn how far you can go keeping groups smaller than the vitals. Shotgun slug to the guts isnt going to be a good day of hunting.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:12 AM

Well I joined site back in 2012 and did not realize it was my first post!!! Lol. Well I retired just this year and moved to Alberta from Quebec as all my kids have moved west and now have grandkids. In attempt to utilize my existing 870 as I was always ducking back in QC. Now I’m going to start deer here. I’m figuring using the shotgun as the areas I will be hunting are very wooded and I would not be in wide open areas. Do if I could use what I have then I give it a shot. Was not sure if I had to buy a rifled barrel.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2019, 05:50 PM

I tried my 870 with a 20” smooth bore with rifle sights last year. And it sucked.
No good past 40y. Just not accurate enough for me.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
I tried my 870 with a 20” smooth bore with rifle sights last year. And it sucked.
No good past 40y. Just not accurate enough for me.
Just like rifles, shotguns will often prefer one brand of amo over another. My Wingmaster will shoot 5" lungs out of its 26" bird barrel out to about 60 yards with Federal slugs. The recoil is pretty brutal though.

Dyck is entirely right. I have a few Lee Enfield sporters, they all cost less than $150... infact one was free... and they are all far superior deer guns to even a rifled shotgun.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:25 PM

I'd suggest getting a rifle.

Grizz
Old 08-26-2019, 04:02 PM

I have hunted a lot in southern Ontario during the shotgun only seasons. I used an 870 and an 1187. while I personally only shot deer around 50-60 yards due to being in tighter bush, some of my hunting buddies had no problems taking deer at 100+ yards. we all sighted our shotguns in at 100 and could hit a 4-6" target.

not MOA numbers by any means, but when you hit a deer with a slug anywhere in the front half of the chest or the neck, it goes down. I don't think my group ever lost a deer due to a bad hit during the time I hunted with them, a few guys missed... but that can happen regardless of weapon choice.

If you want to use a shotgun to hunt, there is nothing wrong with them. practice lots, get a decent scope designed for shotguns and find a brand of ammo your 870 likes.

but like others have said... why not use a rifle. I only used them because I had to. since I moved to Alberta I haven't shot a single slug...
Old 08-26-2019, 04:59 PM

Blackman and I headed down to a shotgun zone a few years back and he took a nice mule deer doe at 80 yards with a Greener Martini 12 gauge and a hand load using a 1 ounce Lee slug he had cast.
Deer went down in less that 30 feet
I killed a bull moose many years ago with a 12 gauge as well using a 1 1/8 ounce Foster slug
Cat
Old 08-27-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockblind View Post
I was wondering if I can use my 870 with a 28 inch barrel with Full Choke for deer hunting, or do I have to purchase a new barrel? Current barrel has interchangeable tubes from Full choke to modified. Gun can shoot 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2, if so what brand of slug would you recommend? Thanks. Thus will be my first year deer hunting in Alberta.
It’ll work as long as you know your limits.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=270782

Practice and know what works best for either slug or buckshot with your chokes.
I wouldn’t use Full choke imo.