Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 08:51 PM

Default Making camp

If you're like me you have started to think about the upcoming season, you're checking out your gear and seeing what pieces need to be added, you have checked trail cams to see what survived the winter and you're probably starting to sort out the details for the adventures to come.

In past hunting seasons I have never made camp, I pretty much always left home super early and returned home quite late.... only to do it again the very next day. By the end of November last year I was starting to get worn down and I had burned a lot of fuel. So this spring I purchased a 8' truck camperette. I actually keep it on a trailer to keep it simple and that way I can keep the topper on my truck. I typically hunt WMU 316, 318, 412 ect.

I’m pretty fortunate and have 11 consecutive days to hunt this November, basically over the peak of the rut. Because of that I will try to make a stay of it. I was doing a bit of scouting and reading the PLUZ rules and guidelines. To sum it up, I understand I can set up camp anywhere that isn’t a no camping zone, if it is a no camping zone then I need to be in a Camping Node. Of course you have to abide by the rules and guidelines, but they seem pretty common sense. Is there anything I am missing? I would consider staying in a campground like Burnt Timber, but I understand they close the first week of September?

I am also considering spending a good chunk of time in WMU 440 Adams Creek. I have always wanted to chase whitetails there, I know it’s sheep country but it’s something I just want to take on. I have a couple questions though, I will drive by in a month or so, but I am trying to do as much digital scouting as I can first. So I have a few questions,

If you were me, what type of map would you be looking for? and where would you get it? I have been so used to only using iHunter these days.

I would probably be looking to return to my truck each day, are there ample places to set up camp? I realize you can’t enter Willmore with a motorized vehicle. But would be expecting to hike back and forth each day, hoping WT country isn’t too far where I can make camp. I am currently thinking some place off the 40 just west of Wildhay.

Also assuming the weather is cold enough, how would you hang the meat? I realize there is an abundance of bears in the area, I hope at least some of them are sleeping. If for example I shot a deer one day but didn’t want to leave yet as my buddy still has a tag, can we just hang the deer high enough in the trees? What process would you use? Would you cover it when you’re hanging it? I have never hung a animal outside, I have either hung them in a garage or butchered the same day.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:45 AM

Funny, this year I drew a tag where I’m driving and hiking every day because the lack of sleep and calories from camping was burning me out at day 4-5. Figured a hot shower and lots of food at home would keep me going for my 4 weeks off hope you enjoy the change, suggest packing lots of high calorie snacks.

Whitetails hang out in valley bottoms, in thick cover near water. Not really that hard to identify on iHunter, after that it’s getting in there and looking for sign. You won’t find any more info on a different map. Have a look around for green grass/clover, if it’s the best food source around there will be deer on it.

When you kill something in griz country, you get it in the truck and head for home. Any other screwing around and you are risking more than you should for a tank of gas.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 AM

I set up a “camp” but I don’t trust folks so I pack everything into my vehicle during the day and leave nothing behind but the trailer. I also take the tires off to make it harder to steal. If it’s really cold I run the generator all night with an electric space heater. It stays quite warm in there even down to -38. But the second you turn off the heater it’s cold. I don’t bother with actually camp grounds because most have the water off so there’s no showers, and they are almost empty making me not trust the folks that might cruze through. I have thought about doing 3 nights in my camper, one in a motel then 3 more in the camper. That way I dry out and clean up in the middle.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
I set up a “camp” but I don’t trust folks so I pack everything into my vehicle during the day and leave nothing behind but the trailer. I also take the tires off to make it harder to steal. If it’s really cold I run the generator all night with an electric space heater. It stays quite warm in there even down to -38. But the second you turn off the heater it’s cold. I don’t bother with actually camp grounds because most have the water off so there’s no showers, and they are almost empty making me not trust the folks that might cruze through. I have thought about doing 3 nights in my camper, one in a motel then 3 more in the camper. That way I dry out and clean up in the middle.
Awesome little set up!
Old 08-25-2019, 12:15 PM

A six man tipi with backpacker stove is about ideal. A good bag and pad and you can pack your whole camp in and stay comfortable. Nov is a tough month to camp /hunt sometimes there is no snow sometimes outs waist deep depending on the year. Get a good meat hauling pack and you can haul a full boned out WT plus all your camp in one go.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:31 AM

I definitely like the idea about maybe heading in for a hotel room/shower 1/2 way through the trip.

I did a October hunt for Dall Sheep in the Yukon once. I was just following a buddy and we paddled, hiked and hunted hard. I don't know if I will ever expend that much energy in a week again.

Graymag, I almost did something like that but found this camperette for $650 and I already had the trailer for some landscaping I was doing.

Obsessed1, I would definitely consider that in the future. Maybe next year, this year I already have a few other hunting purchases on the card!

So you guys think I really need to get out of Griz country asap? It seems like moose camps often hang the meat through the week.

Last edited by Prairiekid; 08-26-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:34 AM

Later in year you can store your cooled meat in one of the trucks with a topper.