Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2019, 05:08 PM

Default Hunting gear colour

Hey everyone,

I have Been shopping around for some camo lately and I have not been able to bring myself to pay some of the prices for some off the "better" stuff. I do have some Huntshield stuff but it doesn't breathe well but it is quiet.

Anyways my question is, since I probably wont go spending +$300 on more gear I also happen to have some really good snowboarding gear but it is red, Do deer/elk/moose see red (lighter coloured red) like the see orange? Or do not see them, if that is the better way to phrase the question?
Old 08-24-2019, 05:23 PM

Look on Surplus military sites get a pair of wool green pants and some wool shirts all you need maybe some Carhartt's he wants something quiet in the bush though

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2019, 06:03 PM

Red is the colour deer see the least.

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/wh...ht-and-hearing

MIL surplus is great gear for cheap. Highly recommend.

Remember that most hunting camo is designed to look good on the rack so it sells, not work in the field.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:31 PM

How noisy is your snowboarding gear? A lot of that type of clothing is very noisy.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeHunter View Post
Red is the colour deer see the least.

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/wh...ht-and-hearing

MIL surplus is great gear for cheap. Highly recommend.

Remember that most hunting camo is designed to look good on the rack so it sells, not work in the field.

Apparently it keeps you from getting scoped tho.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How noisy is your snowboarding gear? A lot of that type of clothing is very noisy.
Yea, it is pretty noisy. I am thinking it might be fine if I am just in a stand or blind this year but not if I am walking
Old 08-24-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Look on Surplus military sites get a pair of wool green pants and some wool shirts all you need maybe some Carhartt's he wants something quiet in the bush though

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks I will google that up!
Old 08-24-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Apparently it keeps you from getting scoped tho.
It would be nice if it did, but unfortunately people wearing red or orange, still get scoped. In some cases, they get scoped, because the idiot scoping them notices the red or orange, and can't resist scoping them .
Old 08-24-2019, 11:08 PM

Some guys can’t afford or care to buy binos and use the scope on there 350$ Axis Combo rifle kit. What can you do.

Bass pro sells some pretty cheap entry level camo I think they carry a like of 20-30$ pants there cotton and usually only last a season if your lucky but they do well in the hot early season. You’ll learn about the devils cotton fabric if your ever out and the grass is wet to.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It would be nice if it did, but unfortunately people wearing red or orange, still get scoped. In some cases, they get scoped, because the idiot scoping them notices the red or orange, and can't resist scoping them .

Yep and they'd have to be a special kind of idiot to shoot on the premise that moose/elk/deer was disguising himself with blaze orange when it's one of the rare colors not found in nature.

I guess if it was Baltimore Oriole season it could be a bad idea.

For the record I started hunting in Sask, many many years ago where orange, red, or white were mandatory and I'd never recommend the dark red the gov't said was ok based on how it appears in low light conditions. I'm also not in favor of packing ones moose or elk head out on ones back while wearing camo. That's kind of asking for it.

My father told me while teaching me to operate a vehicle, "drive like everyone else is a complete idiot" and that same rule can apply to hunting.

Last edited by 270person; 08-25-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Some guys can’t afford or care to buy binos and use the scope on there 350$ Axis Combo rifle kit. What can you do.

Scope back...with the occasional warning shot?
Old 08-25-2019, 11:22 AM

Plaid......on sale at any used clothing store..If made of wool even better...As stated above..Camo clothing is a lot like fishing lures mostly all they catch are the fisherman.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Plaid......on sale at any used clothing store..If made of wool even better...As stated above..Camo clothing is a lot like fishing lures mostly all they catch are the fisherman.

TRUE

Cutting your still hunting speed by 200% will bring you more success than the worlds finest Camo. Every step you take opens up a whole new view... If you move too fast it wont matter what your wearing.. but that's the old way.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post

Bass pro sells some pretty cheap entry level camo I think they carry a like of 20-30$ pants there cotton and usually only last a season if your lucky but they do well in the hot early season. You’ll learn about the devils cotton fabric if your ever out and the grass is wet to.
No cotton for me. Been there on a hike and only wool inside and water proof outside
Old 08-26-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Haha, what wonder marketing is!
Old 08-26-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
TRUE

Cutting your still hunting speed by 200% will bring you more success than the worlds finest Camo. Every step you take opens up a whole new view... If you move too fast it wont matter what your wearing.. but that's the old way.
Probably the best way. I only harvested one deer while walking around and that was plain old dumb luck.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:57 AM

Army surplus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2019, 02:05 PM

I don't really care what color my gear is, so long as its about as mismatched as possible. I hate wearing a uniform, no matter what the occasion, and I think it fools the deer into assuming I don't know what I'm doing.

Bonus points for packing a really beat up old rifle that cost less than you're hunting partner's jacket.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
TRUE

True... but IMO this only works if you are hunting where the deer are, and putting yourself in the right areas involves covering lots of ground and looking at lots of tracks. If you havnt' done the leg work pre-season, then the best plan is to move a bit faster until you find concentrations of recent sign. IMO still hunting at a snail's pace through some random patch of woods makes about as much sense as trolling across some random patch of water, and the biggest trick in bush hunting is sifting through hundreds of hectares of mediocre territory and putting yourself in the hot spots. That don't happen at a snails pace, at least not for me it doesn't.

If you're in the zone though... I agree 200%.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-26-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:40 PM

Default Camo Gear

If you travel to the US check out military surplus stores. You can pick up new or used camp clothing on the cheap.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
True... but IMO this only works if you are hunting where the deer are, and putting yourself in the right areas involves covering lots of ground and looking at lots of tracks. If you havnt' done the leg work pre-season, then the best plan is to move a bit faster until you find concentrations of recent sign. IMO still hunting at a snail's pace through some random patch of woods makes about as much sense as trolling across some random patch of water, and the biggest trick in bush hunting is sifting through hundreds of hectares of mediocre territory and putting yourself in the hot spots. That don't happen at a snails pace, at least not for me it doesn't.

If you're in the zone though... I agree 200%.
I don't think too many would be still hunting if they were still in scouting mode. but even then, a lot can be missed scounting while on a march. Slowing down in the bush costs nothing but some time and can pay big dividends at any time. JMO
Old 08-26-2019, 07:50 PM

Plaid is a great suggestion. I use it a bit.

I have worn a orange hat and vest with a whitetail buck 10 yards away staring me in the face. The wind was good, I didn't move, and it kept walking.

I arrowed a bull elk last year wearing a cheap OR raincoat and cheap camo rain pants with a stinky pack on and a shotgun strapped to it. The wind was in my favour and it was the rut.

I own expensive camo but you really don't need it. Spend your dollars on fuel and get out there!!!
Old 08-26-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I don't really care what color my gear is, so long as its about as mismatched as possible. I hate wearing a uniform, no matter what the occasion, and I think it fools the deer into assuming I don't know what I'm doing.

Bonus points for packing a really beat up old rifle that cost less than you're hunting partner's jacket.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbreath View Post
Plaid is a great suggestion. I use it a bit.

I have worn a orange hat and vest with a whitetail buck 10 yards away staring me in the face. The wind was good, I didn't move, and it kept walking.

I arrowed a bull elk last year wearing a cheap OR raincoat and cheap camo rain pants with a stinky pack on and a shotgun strapped to it. The wind was in my favour and it was the rut.

I own expensive camo but you really don't need it. Spend your dollars on fuel and get out there!!!
Good to know, overall I rank my equipment in priority as scope, rifle, bullets, boots, clothes, pack and everything required inside.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra05 View Post
If you travel to the US check out military surplus stores. You can pick up new or used camp clothing on the cheap.
Will keep it in mind if I am ever out there
Old 08-26-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I don't think too many would be still hunting if they were still in scouting mode. but even then, a lot can be missed scounting while on a march. Slowing down in the bush costs nothing but some time and can pay big dividends at any time. JMO
I will often hunt a new area that I haven't scouted during the season, and if I don't find enough sign I move pretty fast. As well a cold front, wolf pack, or other disruption can totally change game habit at the drop of a hat... If I don't have sign I cover anywhere from 5-8 km in a day. If I have sign I might not even cover one.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
Good to know, overall I rank my equipment in priority as scope, rifle, bullets, boots, clothes, pack and everything required inside.

I might have boots near the top. Tough to hunt with sore, cold, or wet feet.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I might have boots near the top. Tough to hunt with sore, cold, or wet feet.
I hear you. I suppose I wouldn't go hunting with out any of them, but that is the order of how cheap I get in terms of buying. Maybe I would correct it to scope, bullets, boots, rifle, clothes and pack. Since I spent half the price of my rifle on my boots
Old 08-27-2019, 11:00 AM

Priority wise at least for me:

Good warm boots and warm clothing (2 pairs of socks)
Good set of bino's you will spend more time with these then you will wearing out boots.
Quality (dependable) rifle and quality ammo (that is sighted in and you can shoot comfortably)
Scopes..are a luxury..iron sites will do if you still hunt or sit a lot..A scope is only critical after 300 yards or so or you have poor eyes.. A fixed 4 or 6x is plenty for most hunting and a 2x if your in the bush. ( variables are nice but heavier and more expensive and more times then not it will be on the wrong power setting just when you need it most)
A nice warm thermo pad to sit your butt on.
A good set of shooting sticks..not essential but worth there weight in gold sometimes.
Quality pack to carry water, snacks and emergency supplies..and double as a meat hauler once your successful.
A higher end spotter only if your hunting horns....if your a meat hunter it is just extra baggage.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Priority wise at least for me:

Good warm boots and warm clothing (2 pairs of socks)
Good set of bino's you will spend more time with these then you will wearing out boots.
Quality (dependable) rifle and quality ammo (that is sighted in and you can shoot comfortably)
Scopes..are a luxury..iron sites will do if you still hunt or sit a lot..A scope is only critical after 300 yards or so or you have poor eyes.. A fixed 4 or 6x is plenty for most hunting and a 2x if your in the bush. ( variables are nice but heavier and more expensive and more times then not it will be on the wrong power setting just when you need it most)
A nice warm thermo pad to sit your butt on.
A good set of shooting sticks..not essential but worth there weight in gold sometimes.
Quality pack to carry water, snacks and emergency supplies..and double as a meat hauler once your successful.
A higher end spotter only if your hunting horns....if your a meat hunter it is just extra baggage.
X2 on the sights, for the way I hunt irons are entirely sufficient. I usually carry binos, but as long as you aren't going to be scoping stuff I don't even consider them to be entirely necessary If one is filling a non-antlered tag, or hunting any species where a minimum tine count is necessary, then obviously having some glass is more important.

All I carry is a belt pack that contains a camera, head lamp, lighter, TP, tags and a few extra rounds. I have my binos on my chest, a lighter and compass in my pockets, and my knife on my belt. I keep a micky bottle of water and a ziplock full of cheese and sausage in my back pockets.

I guess I'd consider boots and clothing to be of utmost importance, but I don't worry to much about color. My rifle would be next priority, but really all I care about is that its reliable, sighted in, and that I am familiar with it to the point that the act of making a shot happens nearly automatically when I decide to make a shot.