Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
I'm not quite sure the cause and effect in this case. Bears where a firearm has been used as a deterrent, don't make a conscious decision to then attack people cause we made them angry. Don't buy it. If that was the case maybe we should just ask them and reason with them instead.........
About as simple as it gets fight or flight.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:04 AM

Exclamation Kill them outright, or leave them be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
I'm not quite sure the cause and effect in this case. Bears where a firearm has been used as a deterrent, don't make a conscious decision to then attack people cause we made them angry. Don't buy it. If that was the case maybe we should just ask them and reason with them instead.........
Don't inflict superficial wounds on apex predators, it might not work out as planned.
Here is link to the story jawa mentioned:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...&pg=942,580147

They left out the part about someone in camp wounding the bear with birdshot prior to the attacks.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-23-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
About as simple as it gets fight or flight.
Ya admittedly, they could just decide to turn around and eat you after you hit them with a rubber slug. That would be the fight response and a bad day. I was more thinking that a week later they would then remember that someone shot at them and would then decide that the next two legged upright walking animal they see is lunch cause they shot at them last week and put them in a bad mood...... not sure it happens like that. But then again I have zero proof it doesn't!
Old 08-23-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Don't inflict superficial wounds on apex predators, it might not work out as planned.
Here is link to the story jawa mentioned:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...&pg=942,580147
Kind of sounds like Cujo The Black Bear! Sad that people lost their lives. But did shooting at the bear previously cause it to kill 2 in revenge? Tough to say that's the reason.

Which brings up another thought, even if they did open a grizzly season, there would be so few tags given and so few shot at that I don't it would be possible to introduce a learned behavior into the population that people/hunters are to be avoided.....

Got nothing else, hope those with the bears in their neigbourhood stay safe. My only thoughts are that if they continue coming into peoples yards, Someone will get hurt. It may be a kid. How do you condition them that going into a yard is bad? Killing them or relocating them is not always the best answer.......
Old 08-23-2019, 09:36 AM

I call bull crap on that bear attack in Zama I was there and that bear was not wounded that is a fish and wildlife, forestry cover up if you want the true story you can contact me
Old 08-23-2019, 09:44 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg Runner View Post
I call bull crap on that bear attack in Zama I was there and that bear was not wounded that is a fish and wildlife, forestry cover up if you want the true story you can contact me
You have first hand knowledge? Please post up what you know of the story. All I remember is what was written in the Red Deer Advocate at the time.
IIRC- the official story was one of the camp cooks used a shotgun to scare it off when it became too habituated/aggressive.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-23-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg Runner View Post
Do tell
Old 08-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Bobby View Post
Do tell
PM only, it’s a secret
Old 08-23-2019, 01:52 PM

Saw bear scat full of berries when walking the shore line out at Hastings lake this morning. Someone got into the garbage at the trailer to overnight.

Older grandkids were playing along that spot on the weekend. Guess a guys gotta be more watchful, they were out there unsupervised for the most part other than a quick check now and again.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:31 PM

well for one the camp cook was a woman the cooks helper was a woman and the camp attendant was also a woman and second there was absolutely no guns in camp or rig. That bear been there for a week and was aggressive the whole time it got to the point the crew had to drive from camp to the rig was about 400 yards. The day before the attack the engineer called dad and me to come and shoot it when we got there he told us we could not shoot it because forestry called not fish and wildlife and said we absolutely could not shoot it. It was the next afternoon when it killed the geologist at about 4:00 pm and then attacked Marty and the camp attendant and killed her. We were told later by someone in fish and wildlife that it was a black grizzly cross which they refuse to officially acknowledge.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:34 PM

Here's an nice Bear that's at one of our camps right now I'm heading there in a few days not sure what they're going to do about it no fence around camp

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Well said Howard. Unfortunately, a person or child will need to get mauled or killed in their back yard before our government wakes up and realizes the Grizzly populations have more than "recovered" in most parts of Alberta. ....
Sorry 7mag but I have to disagree with part of your statement....the gov"t will wake up....BUT ..not until it is a politician or a member of their family who is affected.....I've seen this happen before..
Old 08-26-2019, 03:09 PM

Sad Sad Sad situation for sure. Maybe the uppers who think they know best should have spent a week at the camp and go through the routine of camp setup and daily routine. THINK that would change their mind. I do not own a gun but have shot lots in a controlled area. (Got the black eye scope shot to prove it). I would have taken care of business at second sighting. I would go to court and fight. Lives were taken because of someone wanted to save an aggressive bear. Yes we are invading their space. Trap and release might give you a few more days or weeks till he tracks his way back.

What I wanted to say with the pic of the three grizz was " Where was Goldilocks" but after further reading inappropriate.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard hutchinson View Post
i know what i would do in this situation, without question.
s
s
s
Old 08-30-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If they are going to be euthanized anyway, I don’t know why SRD bothers with the trap. Nothing good will come from moving human conditioned bears this time of year.
Optics for one. Less nutty people will attempt to foil your plans if they think Yogi's just going for a ride.

Rather than waiting around all day, and then taking a shot in a high risk area, it's just easy waiting for the trap to "self fill". Drop the trap, attend to other things, come back and pick up the bear. Drive it out to where it can be disposed of and pop it at about 3 feet away. Open door and dump it.

Those F+W officers are a little smarter than some would suspect. And a fair number of them learned little tricks like that the hard way. After a while the keeners have stuff like that down to a science, and it makes their lives a lot easier.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 08-30-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Last thing you want to do is make a ****ed off bear. Somebody, totally unaware will likely pay the price.

Grizz
I'm not sure about bird shot. You don't want to hit it too close and leave a big wound, and you don't want to give it lead poisoning either (if that's a thing), but hazing bears with pepper balls, and rubber buck/balls has proven to be pretty effective. Guys with live ammunition stand as back up...

As for the cases where the bear ended up killing someone, I have my doubts that it was because of a minor injury. Some of those bears get shot put into them because of them being a problem bear to begin with.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!