Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 08:35 AM

What I can't figure out is, swimming is a life lesson everyone should learn, why is swimming not taught in school as part of the curriculum. When I was in school you where taught down hill skiing, cross country skiing, bowling, curling, etc. but never swimming.
I'm not saying that these individuals didn't how to swim as I don't know the circumstances that led to their demise. But I do think that water safety could be included in the swimming lessons, just like vehicle safety (think seat belts) is in getting you drivers license.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
What I can't figure out is, swimming is a life lesson everyone should learn, why is swimming not taught in school as part of the curriculum. When I was in school you where taught down hill skiing, cross country skiing, bowling, curling, etc. but never swimming.
I'm not saying that these individuals didn't how to swim as I don't know the circumstances that led to their demise. But I do think that water safety could be included in the swimming lessons, just like vehicle safety (think seat belts) is in getting you drivers license.
Totally agree
I started swimming at a very early age, when people tell they can't swim or even tread water I find it strange comes naturally to most animals.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:50 AM

Swimming can be offered as part of the P. Ed. program but many schools are not close enough to pools, and with bussing being expensive, it can become unaffordable.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:48 AM
Banned

Knowing how to swim is one thing, knowing as soon as your nose can no longer have access to air will lead to death is another that some don’t seem to realize. Stand on your tippy toes then measure from your nose to the ground and that is the depth you will drown in.

I get that all drowning deaths are unexpected (other than suicide), some happen in rivers where you can get swept away and sucked under by undertow. Drowning in still water should be avoidable you would think, yet it happens all the time. I am 100% guilty of putting myself at risk by not wearing a PFD while in my boat, and even though I can and have swam for over 45min at a time, I can’t do it if I’m unconscious or hypothermic.

It’s an unfortunate accident, obviously not expected by the victim or friends he was with. No amount of education will eliminate drowning, however using common sense will reduce the chances. Like I said, I’m guilty of not using common sense while on the water, as I’m sure most of us are.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:05 AM

Sad outcome to a fun day. Condolences to family and friends.

Now I know lots of people my age(50) who can't swim which I too find weird but not one of them would be caught in water deeper than their waste let alone out floating around.

I do wonder if the guy thought all I need is this dollar store floaty thing or he could have gulped a big mouth full going in and never recovered. It is one thing to fall under and push back up from the sand, quite different when you can't touch bottom and have a mouth & nose full.

Details will come out and explain how but it won't bring him back from one mistake.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
In Elementary and middle school we hand many field trips to the pool and as part of our high school gym class we spent 2 weeks going to the pool. Granted this was 20 years ago. Have things changed?

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-23-2019, 11:23 AM

I was guilty of not wearing a PFD in a boat until the inflatables came out now I wear it all the time. I can swim just not sure how long or how far at my age.

An accident can come at anytime a friend and his wife were ejected hitting a log at high speed neither were were wearing jackets. Lucky another boat saw what happened and rescued them they were a long way from shore in cold water the boat was 1/2 mile away beached with the engine going badly damaged.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:37 AM

This unfortunate individual was a recent immigrant from Pakistan (maybe India), so his schooling would not reflect on what is taught in AB.

As for the guys who are dumping on him, it’s pretty easy to end up in 6’ of water on a floatie and I don’t remember ever seeing anyone over 10 wearing a PFD on a floatie.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-23-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Really unfortunate.

To those who post things like “stupid”, “Darwin at work”, etc: you are all ridiculous and hypocrites. Either too young to realize or too old to remember, or not of the brightest bunch yourselves. Most everyone does dumb **** when they are that age, including yourselves in all likelihood. Fortunately, 99.9999 whatever percent of the time outcome is different than it is in this situation, so you all came back home in one piece and so did your kids. Some parents, however, get the call instead of the kid coming back home. Tomorrow it could be any of your kids that age, you know. You should be ashamed of your posts.
Agree. And a total lack of class by those posters!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-23-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:39 PM

My apologies for my "DRUNK, STUPID OR STONED " but , from what they reported at the start ,was they got dumped off a tube and considering the hot day it was and the way it was presented, figured they were tubing and the person that was operating the boat was being a jerk letting people tube without life jackets on. My comments were geared towards the boat operator. Maybe read the whole context before you judge. Now the story is out and like I said wait for the interviews. Read the whole comment before you post yours like that. You know who you are. If you can't swim stay in the wading area. Very unfortunate for friends and family and the victim of course. That is also in my post. Did you read that part or only the first few words. Nuff said.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Apparently didn't know how to swim, new to the country. People don't drown in India ???
Grizz
Old 08-23-2019, 05:49 PM

Drowning in India apparently only by flash floods. Here's one for the critics. Because of ones belief a CAA approved helmet does not need to be worn to ride motorcycles or helmets in the army. So why would one need a life jacket not knowing how to swim? This is not bashing it's truth and by some, jealousy.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Really unfortunate.

To those who post things like “stupid”, “Darwin at work”, etc: you are all ridiculous and hypocrites. Either too young to realize or too old to remember, or not of the brightest bunch yourselves. Most everyone does dumb **** when they are that age, including yourselves in all likelihood. Fortunately, 99.9999 whatever percent of the time outcome is different than it is in this situation, so you all came back home in one piece and so did your kids. Some parents, however, get the call instead of the kid coming back home. Tomorrow it could be any of your kids that age, you know. You should be ashamed of your posts.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:35 PM

Reading many of the comments on here is surely not one of AO’s finest moments. Were done here
Closed Thread