Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-05-2019, 03:39 PM

Default Trophy Ridge 4-pin plastic sight

I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem and if it's pretty common with plastic bow sights.

I bought a Bear Cruzer G2 on sale at Cabela's because I wanted to get into bow hunting this year. I've learned now that I probably should have went to a pro shop to have it set up correctly and I basically spent the first 3 months learning how to shoot and learning how to set up and tune my bow correctly. Now that I feel like I've been getting a lot better I've started working on tuning my sights.

I've noticed with the sight though that each pin is slightly off center, either of right or off left. When I began moving my pins as I sight it in I notice it depends on how much you tighten each sight pin. The tighter, the more right the sight pin will be. It's because the plastic is flexing. Obviously this now changes my windage every damn time. Is this typical of plastic sights and is there a way to make sure they're all aligned the same?

I was planning on buying a new release but it looks like I may have to spend my money on a new bow sight first...any input is appreciated.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:16 PM

If you buy a package bow, normally the priority of upgrades goes like this...

1. rest
2. sight
3. stab
4. quiver

String update is dependent on the bow as some factory string are good and some are not so good. G5 and prime have excellent string where Mathews and Mission, not so much

A bow never comes with a release (unless it is a used package), you can get a good release right off the get go.

For a great budget sight look here.....

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/11958...me-5-pin-sight
Old 06-06-2019, 11:20 AM

Smile

Or do what I did.
I have same started a Bear Cruzer G2.
After playing with it and shooting it for around 3 months, I realised that I needed an upgrade.
I had the same thought of getting a new sight for my first upgrade...
But then I realised the arrow rest would give me an better improvement.
Then the more I shoot my bow, the more I think a new bow would be the first thing to upgrade...
So kept my Cruzer G2 for another few month and saved up some $$ to get a new bow first.
Got an PSE, no regret! It performed way better than my Cruzer.
Then save up, bought a new Ripcord, save up, bought a new sight, save up bought a new Beestinger stab.
After shooting my new set up for a while, I went back to the basement and dug out that Cruzer G2 and shoot it again.
The Cruzer went straight to Kijiji.
An advanced bow will give you more confident to shoot.
If you would like to start trying 30 or 40 yards, a starter bow and a more advanced bow does make a big difference.
Those are my personal opinion.
Cheers!
Old 06-06-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstream View Post
Or do what I did.
I have same started a Bear Cruzer G2.
After playing with it and shooting it for around 3 months, I realised that I needed an upgrade.
I had the same thought of getting a new sight for my first upgrade...
But then I realised the arrow rest would give me an better improvement.
Then the more I shoot my bow, the more I think a new bow would be the first thing to upgrade...
So kept my Cruzer G2 for another few month and saved up some $$ to get a new bow first.
Got an PSE, no regret! It performed way better than my Cruzer.
Then save up, bought a new Ripcord, save up, bought a new sight, save up bought a new Beestinger stab.
After shooting my new set up for a while, I went back to the basement and dug out that Cruzer G2 and shoot it again.
The Cruzer went straight to Kijiji.
An advanced bow will give you more confident to shoot.
If you would like to start trying 30 or 40 yards, a starter bow and a more advanced bow does make a big difference.
Those are my personal opinion.
Cheers!
I think I'm somewhere in between on doing this. I'm planning on hunting with it come September so I'm thinking I'll start upgrading this bow with the idea of buying a new bow next January/Feb and taking everything off of this bow and putting it on the new one.
That'll allow me to save a significantly higher amount for the new bow while making small purchases now and I can walk into a pro shop focusing on a bow that fits me perfectly and not worrying so much about price.

I've started looking at the IQ Micro sight but I'm hearing mixed reviews on the retina lock. I've also been looking at the Trophy Ridge React H5 but hearing a lot of inconsistencies at higher distance with their "automatic" sighting system. The Cabela's sight mentioned seems like a great price for right now but there aren't any reviews on it and I'm thinking of moving towards the "buy once, cry once" mentality with archery now since the higher end stuff seems to really make a difference.

I appreciate the input. I originally bought all of the cheapest things I could (bow, release, arrows...etc) because I was unsure of how much I'd enjoy archery but I've enjoyed every minute of it the past few months so it seems like from here on out I shouldn't be so cheap about things.

I'm thinking I'll go with sight, release, rest in that order for my upgrades. Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:37 PM

I am Currently using a React Pro 5 pin with all 5 pins in green.
Bought it at JimBow Calgary and they are nice to switch the middle pin to green for me.
Because I wear glasses and that red pin would not align with the green ones when I look into them.
Anyways, I took my bow to the field to shoot on my little 16" target.
After I have my 40 yards sight in, the 60 yard was relatively close.
It does still land on my small target on a very windy day (35 km W)
So I would say the React sights are maybe not 100% super accurate, but they are quite close out to 60 yards.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:53 PM

Default upgrading

The best part about buying quality accessories is you can transfer them from bow to bow when you get a new one.
I would get a new quality sight, some are not that expensive for the quality. I am a big fan of the Montana Black Gold Sights.
I would go sight before rest. You can shoot groups touching with a whisker biscuit or similar style rest.
having confidence in your sight I think is a big part of being accurate.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:17 AM

If you want to "buy once, cry once", look at Spot Hogg, MBG, or HHA. All are quality built sights
Old 06-07-2019, 01:01 PM

I did literally the exact same thing as you. Started with a Bear. Added a MBG site, QAD rest and before long I bought a Bow Tech Realm and moved them all over and then sold the Bear.

There was NOTHING wrong with the Bear, and it would kill a deer just the same as my bow tech. It wasn’t long before I knew I was hooked on bow hunting and all of a sudden the higher prices didn’t seem “so bad”.

With a fully decked out high end bow costing $3k+, spending $500 to see if you like shooting a bow and then selling that bow for $300 is worth the exercise IMO. A lot better then a $3000 bow sitting in a closet for years and then being sold for a fraction of the cost.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 PM

Thanks, you guys have been awesome.

I've narrowed it down to the IQ Micro 5-pin, Trophy Ridge React H5 and MBG Widow Maker simply because that's all that seems to be available in my price range between Cabela's and JimBows Edmonton. I haven't been able to find anywhere online or local that carries Spot Hogg sights. I think I'll take my bow in and try a few. The Retina lock really has me leaning towards the IQ but the quality control seems to be all over the place. The warranty on the MBG seems like the overall best price though.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNigma View Post

I've narrowed it down to the IQ Micro 5-pin, Trophy Ridge React H5 and MBG Widow Maker simply because that's all that seems to be available in my price range between Cabela's and JimBows Edmonton. I haven't been able to find anywhere online or local that carries Spot Hogg sights. I think I'll take my bow in and try a few. The Retina lock really has me leaning towards the IQ but the quality control seems to be all over the place. The warranty on the MBG seems like the overall best price though.
Jimbows Edmonton carries Spot Hogg and can order what they don’t have in stock.

Look at the “Anchor Sight”. I use one of those along with the Spot Hogg Sight. That way you get the best of the best, “retina lock”with whatever Sight you choose.

LC
Old 06-09-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNigma View Post

Accurate Archery has both MBG and Spot Hogg on the shelf. You could give Lawrence a call and see what he could do for you.

Norm
Old 06-10-2019, 01:51 PM

My first bow was a bear cruzer again because I didn't know how much I would like it. After thousands of arrows and no upgrades, I just didn't seem to be getting any better as an Archer. Upgraded to a bowtech carbon icon and absolutely love it. Went from dinner plate groupings at 30 yards 2 coffee lid groupings at 50 or 60 yards. I would like to think the G2 is more forgiving than the original bear cruzer
Old 08-01-2019, 12:30 PM

Interesting. So the 3 pin Joker from trophy ridge is not an upgrade...