Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-26-2019, 06:40 AM

Default Snares with Stinger Kill Spring

I was reading a french Hunting/Trapping/Fishing magazine ( Aventure Chasse et Pêche ) from Quebec the other day. Serge Larivière, a well-known biologist in our trapping world wrote a really good article about the efficiency of using your snare Marty. That magazine is published at around 470 000 copies if I'm not wrong, so that should help to make known your products on the east side of the country where I think, in my opinion, they are not yet used enough !
Old 07-28-2019, 07:48 AM
AO Sponsor

Cool! I had no idea he did that, but did know that he was using the #22 Magnum Stingers on his fox.

Serge is quite the fox trapper, I believe he takes a month off and snares 400 fox a year on some island on the St Laurence River.

I run into Serge every year at the May sale at NAFA. (2nd nicest guy in the world!) He told me he was snaring fox with the original #11 springs so when I suggested he step up to the Magnum #22 for his fox he was shocked, but did follow thru, believing me with my 20,000-ish canine trapping experiences +/-.

He paid attention to the details... Always tie low for best lock up and spring firing, short snares due to ultra thick environment, and even just happened to have a whack of Lightning Locks.

He clipped his triggers on his springs in the correct position, 9 o'clock on the "wire-end" or "dead side" of th eyelet, and virtually all of his fox fired the triggers and were DOA.

I'll see if I can't scavenge some of his fox photos and post them on here. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-31-2019, 08:03 AM

Thanks Marty, could be great to see some pics !
Old 07-31-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Cool! I had no idea he did that, but did know that he was using the #22 Magnum Stingers on his fox.

Serge is quite the fox trapper, I believe he takes a month off and snares 400 fox a year on some island on the St Laurence River.

I run into Serge every year at the May sale at NAFA. (2nd nicest guy in the world!) He told me he was snaring fox with the original #11 springs so when I suggested he step up to the Magnum #22 for his fox he was shocked, but did follow thru, believing me with my 20,000-ish canine trapping experiences +/-.

He paid attention to the details... Always tie low for best lock up and spring firing, short snares due to ultra thick environment, and even just happened to have a whack of Lightning Locks.

He clipped his triggers on his springs in the correct position, 9 o'clock on the "wire-end" or "dead side" of th eyelet, and virtually all of his fox fired the triggers and were DOA.

I'll see if I can't scavenge some of his fox photos and post them on here. Thanks for the heads up!
I believe it maybe Anticosti Island,full of fox and whitetails
Old 07-31-2019, 09:06 PM
AO Sponsor

That sounds right Peter. Full of pretty fox, real pretty stuff. Tried to get him to send picts but fell on deaf ears. Next i will try to coerce him for a greater cause!!!

I believe i will see the man after 16 more sleeps... been keepin close track of that for some reason!