Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:24 PM
Brandonkop's Avatar
Brandonkop Brandonkop is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: BC/Alberta
Posts: 1,765
Default Electric Ice Auger Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ga6NNSse4

Ok so we bought this ice Auger and I am under no sort of arrangement with Rapala or Strikemaster at the time. What you see is what you get and my absolutely shocked and honest opinion of this new electric ice auger. I really was hesitant about the products and still the only thing I can see that may be an issue is the battery life. But if you have spare batteries it is like having extra gas, so drill away. At some point I'll to a max hole drill test.
__________________

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/Brandonkop
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2019, 06:17 AM
SNAPFisher SNAPFisher is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,095
Default

Agree on the auger. Was that an 8 or 10? I have the 10 and it cuts really well. So nice to put in the pull sled with no gas or mess
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2019, 09:12 AM
DOGFISH's Avatar
DOGFISH DOGFISH is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Saskatchewan
Posts: 593
Default

Nice review Brandon, quick question about the Strikemaster. Does it always catch just before going through the ice at the bottom of the hole? I bought a 8" trophy strike and I have not had it get stuck yet in 40+ holes when breaking through. I was very impressed with how it cut right through and faster than a 43cc gas auger the last time I was out. This electric I bought is way more powerful than my old Jiffy 30. Also no gas fumes in my truck box under my tonneau cover. I have also carried it in my Cab with no concerns of odors or spills. Dogfish
__________________
Get off your horse and drink your milk! (John Wayne)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2019, 09:24 AM
Deasoninc Deasoninc is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: County of Leduc
Posts: 122
Default

Thanks for the review. I am looking to upgrade my gas job as I want to use my Jeep for ice fishing instead of my truck. Itís a pain to strap the gas job on the outside.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2019, 09:39 AM
SNAPFisher SNAPFisher is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Nice review Brandon, quick question about the Strikemaster. Does it always catch just before going through the ice at the bottom of the hole? I bought a 8" trophy strike and I have not had it get stuck yet in 40+ holes when breaking through. I was very impressed with how it cut right through and faster than a 43cc gas auger the last time I was out. This electric I bought is way more powerful than my old Jiffy 30. Also no gas fumes in my truck box under my tonneau cover. I have also carried it in my Cab with no concerns of odors or spills. Dogfish
No, maybe 1 in 10 holes or less even. Even if it does it stops immediately and is easy to continue like Brandon has shown.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2019, 09:48 AM
HuyFishin's Avatar
HuyFishin HuyFishin is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 540
Default

that stop and pausing issue happens to me on my propane jiffy every once in a while too
__________________
What I do when i'm fishing

HuyFishin previously known as Sushi_man

Instagram @huyfishin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2019, 10:08 AM
DOGFISH's Avatar
DOGFISH DOGFISH is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Saskatchewan
Posts: 593
Default

Awesome guys, thanks. I have yet to have the Trophy Strike pause going through the ice. Not a deal breaker for sure. I will probably not go back to gas with the recent advancements in electric. I did not want to buy one of the first ones out and that's why I waited to buy.
__________________
Get off your horse and drink your milk! (John Wayne)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 PM
old dog's Avatar
old dog old dog is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 554
Default

I bought my electric strikemaster last year. Just love it. No bad comments with close to two full winters of use. PS. I picked up a spare battery that I really didnít need but for 100$ at Cabelas a month a go. Could not go wrong
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-2019, 02:31 PM
cujo1969 cujo1969 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: county of vulcan
Posts: 1,032
Default

can you use the new bigger battery on the older ion augers?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-2019, 02:42 PM
old dog's Avatar
old dog old dog is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
can you use the new bigger battery on the older ion augers?
I donít think so but call the fishing hole. They will know.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Mountain Guy Mountain Guy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In the Rockies
Posts: 2,675
Default

I'm still not sold on electric
Have you tested a propane?
Love my eskimo.... spare 1 lb propane costs me pennies vs a $200 spare battery.
A 1 lb propane bottle will drill more holes than I can count.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-09-2019, 05:05 PM
HuyFishin's Avatar
HuyFishin HuyFishin is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 540
Default

I hate my jiffy propane, runs like crap in -45, what feels like hundreds of pounds after a short hike with it. Requires two hands to carry around just to drill 10 holes. Electric I can carry with one hand and carry a rod and flasher in the other.
__________________
What I do when i'm fishing

HuyFishin previously known as Sushi_man

Instagram @huyfishin
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Jigapoolza Jigapoolza is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
can you use the new bigger battery on the older ion augers?
If youíre talking about the new Ion battery you can definitely use it on a old Ion auger
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-2019, 01:32 PM
DOGFISH's Avatar
DOGFISH DOGFISH is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Saskatchewan
Posts: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
I'm still not sold on electric
Have you tested a propane?
Love my eskimo.... spare 1 lb propane costs me pennies vs a $200 spare battery.
A 1 lb propane bottle will drill more holes than I can count.
Yes I have. My son has one at the fishing shack. Nothing wrong with it other than it stinks and is loud as hell. Cuts good, starts good, not saying throw out a good auger to buy a new one. My old Jiffy was 30+ years old and tired. Was time for a new one and $500 is not bad even if it only last 15 years. I am able to carry it in the cab or store it it the house for security reasons. Each to their own. So far I do not think I will need a spare battery as it has not dropped more than one bar on the indicator during a trip. I bring the charger just in case but have not needed it yet. The guys were not sure about the electric until it drilled the holes in the shack now they are believers in the instant torque and no warm up period.
__________________
Get off your horse and drink your milk! (John Wayne)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:03 PM
SNAPFisher SNAPFisher is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,095
Default

Cut about 25 holes, 10 inch holes today in 22 inches of solid ice in -32 to -26 temps. One tick down on the battery
Solid, solid unit.

Now it is in the tub getting the ice melted off. No mess!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:38 PM
JD848 JD848 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,786
Default

I have an power inverter I carry in my truck,i haven't bought this auger ,but with a good inverter you should be able to recharge while out fishing.I will google an let you guys know.If someone has that setup let me know the charge up time please.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:25 PM
Zip-in-Z's Avatar
Zip-in-Z Zip-in-Z is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sylvan Lake/South Calif.
Posts: 1,815
Default

Excellent thread, tks fellas for taking the effort to share your experiences. When my Model 30 decides it want's to retire, I will be investing in this 10" unit ... wish they made a 12" then I'd get one when I get home.

Stay warm fellas!

D.
__________________
Z-z

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:10 AM
DOGFISH's Avatar
DOGFISH DOGFISH is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Saskatchewan
Posts: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I have an power inverter I carry in my truck,i haven't bought this auger ,but with a good inverter you should be able to recharge while out fishing.I will google an let you guys know.If someone has that setup let me know the charge up time please.

"Charges 120V Trophy Strike Lithium Ion Batteries (2.0Ah and 3.0Ah). This charger can be used with an input voltage of 100-250V and an AC frequency of 50-60Hz. Plugs into a 120V AC outlet (normal household voltage). Features an LED light that indicates the operating status and the state of charge of the battery. Charging is simple Ė you simply slide the battering into place until it locks in and the LED will flash green showing the battery is charging Ė once the battery is fully charged, the LED indicator will show a steady green light. Lithium Ion batteries are an excellent choice as they have no memory effect therefore a partial charge will not damage your battery. The charger is wall mountable for convenient storage. Charging time: 100 minutes/2.0Ah battery, 150 minutes/3.0Ah battery. 120 volts."
__________________
Get off your horse and drink your milk! (John Wayne)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 AM
35 whelen's Avatar
35 whelen 35 whelen is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: N.W OF EDMONTON AND EAST OF GRAND PRAIRIE
Posts: 3,420
Default

Nice report what I'm waiting for is how do they drill in 4 feet of ice like in the Northern parts of our provinces where I fish, anyone have any reports heading to Manitoba in a couple weeks was told to bring a 2ft extension thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Lowrance Fishburn Lowrance Fishburn is offline
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 277
Default

Honest unbiased review here, my buddy picked up the 8" IonX and its a dream. Cuts through faster than most gas augers with no smell, no fiddling with gas or choke. the reverse feature is handy as well. we were re-drilling hoes inside our shack and no fumes, no mess. I honestly think they are awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:50 PM
SNAPFisher SNAPFisher is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Nice report what I'm waiting for is how do they drill in 4 feet of ice like in the Northern parts of our provinces where I fish, anyone have any reports heading to Manitoba in a couple weeks was told to bring a 2ft extension thanks.
Aaron Weibe from Uncut Angling based out of MB uses the 10 inch strikemaster Lithium now. He had no trouble cutting through 4 ft of ice anytime of year. Thickness is not an issue with this auger.

The only concern would be a multi-day trip with no power at the end of the day. If you can't recharge then you may eventually run out with 1 or 2 batteries. But, you will drill one hell of lot of holes!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:22 PM
CNP's Avatar
CNP CNP is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CNP
Posts: 6,655
Default

Jiffy is in the battery powered game now. $471 USD on sale at Cabelas.com (US site)

https://www.cabelas.com/product/JIFF...5.uts?slotId=2
__________________
[[[[[All news is fake news]]]]]
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:28 PM
FishHunterPro FishHunterPro is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,113
Default

That looks, sounds and cuts great! I have a perfectly fine strike master lazer pro but got a few gift cards for Christmas and bought a pistol bit to try out the electric business .
__________________
Never celebrate till you got your knife stuck in it !

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:05 PM
nivlac nivlac is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: mountains
Posts: 7
Default ice

Did a lot of fishing but never have ice fished
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 PM
dutch_m dutch_m is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Aaron Weibe from Uncut Angling based out of MB uses the 10 inch strikemaster Lithium now. He had no trouble cutting through 4 ft of ice anytime of year. Thickness is not an issue with this auger.

The only concern would be a multi-day trip with no power at the end of the day. If you can't recharge then you may eventually run out with 1 or 2 batteries. But, you will drill one hell of lot of holes!!
4 ft of ice , with a 10 inch
That must be one hell'va auger , must have lots of power compared to the ION X
I have the Ion X in a 8 inch , and I can honestly say at 4 ft of ice , that is a workout on a electric auger ,
I've been to the lakes in Winnipeg, way up north to some lakes in Saskatchewan,
Some of the toughest thickest ice going

My understanding is , the strikemaster is good for 450 inches of ice to a battery , so at 4 ft of ice , that's like 10 holes befor your battery's is dead

This is the trouble with electric augers , we live in the cold north ,
I've had em all , gas , propane jiffy in a 10 inch , the Ion X

I love the electrics , but I just bought a new Eskimo P1 Rocket in Propane as a back up auger , why
Because the electrics don't have the balls or guts to do a fishing trip with a few guys , let alone 1 guy for a couple days

They great in the shack as no fume , if you only going to drill a few holes

But if you have deep ice , lots of holes and want a 10 inch ,in my opinion then I think propans still the best auger to own ,
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 AM
masssalmon masssalmon is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 11
Default

I used this auger the winter of 2017 it cuts ice like butter. I cut 24 holes in two feet of ice before the battery went dead. it is light and just does a monster of a job for you.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:02 AM
35 whelen's Avatar
35 whelen 35 whelen is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: N.W OF EDMONTON AND EAST OF GRAND PRAIRIE
Posts: 3,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch_m View Post
4 ft of ice , with a 10 inch
That must be one hell'va auger , must have lots of power compared to the ION X
I have the Ion X in a 8 inch , and I can honestly say at 4 ft of ice , that is a workout on a electric auger ,
I've been to the lakes in Winnipeg, way up north to some lakes in Saskatchewan,
Some of the toughest thickest ice going

My understanding is , the strikemaster is good for 450 inches of ice to a battery , so at 4 ft of ice , that's like 10 holes befor your battery's is dead

This is the trouble with electric augers , we live in the cold north ,
I've had em all , gas , propane jiffy in a 10 inch , the Ion X

I love the electrics , but I just bought a new Eskimo P1 Rocket in Propane as a back up auger , why
Because the electrics don't have the balls or guts to do a fishing trip with a few guys , let alone 1 guy for a couple days

They great in the shack as no fume , if you only going to drill a few holes

But if you have deep ice , lots of holes and want a 10 inch ,in my opinion then I think propans still the best auger to own ,
Thanks that's what I'm looking for I do follow Aaron wiebe and he only usually drills a couple holes and sits in his tent I guess I'll keep my 10-inch jiffy for now.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:18 AM
Chief16's Avatar
Chief16 Chief16 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Thanks that's what I'm looking for I do follow Aaron wiebe and he only usually drills a couple holes and sits in his tent I guess I'll keep my 10-inch jiffy for now.
Uncut angling usually drills a ton of holes and finds where to set up first. I have always been under the impression that he drills a ton of holes from watching his videos.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:05 AM
35 whelen's Avatar
35 whelen 35 whelen is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: N.W OF EDMONTON AND EAST OF GRAND PRAIRIE
Posts: 3,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Uncut angling usually drills a ton of holes and finds where to set up first. I have always been under the impression that he drills a ton of holes from watching his videos.
I'm still going to stay with my Jiffy gas till I see em work maybe someone will have one on my trip to Manitoba this March and April.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:04 AM
Bigwoodsman Bigwoodsman is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,308
Default

I'm sold and this is the auger I will be getting. I don't have a place to store gasoline at home, and propane is to heavy. This auger would suit my style of fishing to a tee!

BW
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.