Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-27-2019, 09:30 PM
Banned

My priorities
Good warm boots I wear Irish setters worth every penny
Good clothing I wear in early season Sitka first lite when gets cooler worth the money first lite is amazing
Nice light pack I run Kuiu 3200 all season with everything from magnesium matches lighter small first aid kit rope batteries flashlight and game bags.
Optics leupold 3-10 cds on my sako vortex 10-50 binos.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:23 PM

But what did you spend the most money on?
Old 08-28-2019, 09:43 PM

Depends, do you own a rifle? if not $300 is an old 303 brit. with iron sites, then spend your money on ammo so you learn how to shoot that old .303 AND a good knife.
If you own a rifle? staying warm is next, at least for me. If you have clothing? boots will keep you feet dry and your body warm. If you have cloths, boots and a rifle and know how to shoot have decent cloths, and boots, then Bino's would be my next choice along with a small pack to carry water, food and emergency items.

If you have all the above then the rest is just fluff.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:18 PM

Wear fleece. They’re warm and light and still keeps you warm even when wet. Buy your base layer at Costco. Cheap, but works great. Eddie Bauer’s Pro guide pants usually go on sale for around $60. They’re quiet and water resistant. Invest on a pair of gaiters. Keeps your pants and the top of your boots dry.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:13 AM

buy once, cry once. if you can find good used items, do that. some of the 'new' hunting clothes may seem high priced but some of it is well worth the investment. wool is your best friend. a lot of the high end products seem to want to copy or emulate but natural merino wool is the best. someone said earlier the merino set at costco is a good buy. find good socks. i use icebreaker that were bought from cabelas on sale. Im going to find a good pair of gaiters. i think well worth the trouble to put on unless there is good cold snow. hate getting legs wet and muddy. i stay with solid colours, i don't worry much about camo other than some white is good as I'm usually in snowed in areas. Pockets, not near enough pockets on anything i can find anymore. i have an old coat with like 10 pockets in it. its old and heavy but i can't find anything to replace it as i quite like the storage capabilities. i don't worry about scent control clothing as i pay attention to the wind. Keep your nose into the wind Pilgrim.. best hunting advice i have ever heard.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:58 AM

As someone with more responsibilities than money, I have outfitted myself with grey, green, beige, and black technical outdoors clothing from thrift stores.

The past 20 years or so all the high end outdoors brands have developed lines of softshell clothing that is silent and it is the same quality high end hunting brands. If you listen to the origins of brands like Kuiu, they simply adapted these fabrics and technology to hunting specific clothing lines. My gear from thrift stores includes brands like Helly Hansen, Arcteryx, La Sportiva, Lowa, Marmot, and the dreaded MEC. Calgary in particular has lots of money and this clothing is usually barely used and I suspect purchased for one off trips.

I hit the thrift stores about once a month.

Mat
Old 08-29-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Wear fleece. They’re warm and light and still keeps you warm even when wet. Buy your base layer at Costco. Cheap, but works great. Eddie Bauer’s Pro guide pants usually go on sale for around $60. They’re quiet and water resistant. Invest on a pair of gaiters. Keeps your pants and the top of your boots dry.
Never thought about gaiters, would be an excellent idea before winter for sure
Old 08-29-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
buy once, cry once. if you can find good used items, do that. some of the 'new' hunting clothes may seem high priced but some of it is well worth the investment. wool is your best friend. a lot of the high end products seem to want to copy or emulate but natural merino wool is the best. someone said earlier the merino set at costco is a good buy. find good socks. i use icebreaker that were bought from cabelas on sale. Im going to find a good pair of gaiters. i think well worth the trouble to put on unless there is good cold snow. hate getting legs wet and muddy. i stay with solid colours, i don't worry much about camo other than some white is good as I'm usually in snowed in areas. Pockets, not near enough pockets on anything i can find anymore. i have an old coat with like 10 pockets in it. its old and heavy but i can't find anything to replace it as i quite like the storage capabilities. i don't worry about scent control clothing as i pay attention to the wind. Keep your nose into the wind Pilgrim.. best hunting advice i have ever heard.
I do have the costco brand merino blend stuff, it has been pretty good. I have lost some weight too so that is another reason I am looking for some new duds. I got wool socks from winners for fairly cheap, I think they are about $10 a pair but they are wooly and thick! (85%-100%). The blends are nice just because they take up less space.

Wind is definitely some thing I am learning on. Annoying when you are walking somewhere new and then realize that you are on the wrong side of them mountain....
Old 08-29-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
As someone with more responsibilities than money, I have outfitted myself with grey, green, beige, and black technical outdoors clothing from thrift stores.

The past 20 years or so all the high end outdoors brands have developed lines of softshell clothing that is silent and it is the same quality high end hunting brands. If you listen to the origins of brands like Kuiu, they simply adapted these fabrics and technology to hunting specific clothing lines. My gear from thrift stores includes brands like Helly Hansen, Arcteryx, La Sportiva, Lowa, Marmot, and the dreaded MEC. Calgary in particular has lots of money and this clothing is usually barely used and I suspect purchased for one off trips.

I hit the thrift stores about once a month.

Mat
Bah, I thought I was the only one. I picked up a few wool sweaters from some thrift stores but have not found anything other than that.

I did check out some MEC stuff at the store but I found it was mostly all that tarp like material that does scrape a lot when you walk.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Depends, do you own a rifle? if not $300 is an old 303 brit. with iron sites, then spend your money on ammo so you learn how to shoot that old .303 AND a good knife.
If you own a rifle? staying warm is next, at least for me. If you have clothing? boots will keep you feet dry and your body warm. If you have cloths, boots and a rifle and know how to shoot have decent cloths, and boots, then Bino's would be my next choice along with a small pack to carry water, food and emergency items.

If you have all the above then the rest is just fluff.
I do have my rifle, glass and ammo all set up, that's my favorite part!
Old 08-29-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
Looking at what you already have... I would be shopping around for a good pack frame, a warm sleeping bag, and a quality tripping canoe.

P9230052 by , on Flickr

A good rifle and warm clothes are only a very small part of what make memories like these possible, the color of anything had absolutely no bearing whatsoever. If your basic hunting gear is well covered, get set up to do more ambitious trips.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-29-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:41 PM

I just got a costco flyer in the mail and it shows some really nice camo but can’t find it on there website has anyone ever purchased it.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Looking at what you already have... I would be shopping around for a good pack frame, a warm sleeping bag, and a quality tripping canoe.

P9230052 by , on Flickr

A good rifle and warm clothes are only a very small part of what make memories like these possible, the color of anything had absolutely no bearing whatsoever. If your basic hunting gear is well covered, get set up to do more ambitious trips.
That looks like a great hunt! You have given me so.e new life goals!
Old 08-29-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
I just got a costco flyer in the mail and it shows some really nice camo but can’t find it on there website has anyone ever purchased it.
Have not seen that yet, I'll check it out once I can!
Old 08-30-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Then as others have suggested hit the thrift stores..Look for sales. Talk to guys who hunt like you do..If your a truck hunter then you require different tools then a sheep hunter...Lots of variables.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
That looks like a great hunt! You have given me so.e new life goals!
Why make them life goals? Push your limits a bit this year as best as you are able, and every season after. To me that's become almost part of the whole point.

After 12 or so years of doing them, the canoe hunts no longer push my comfort zone. I still do them most seasons, and they are always great, but its important to me that I can look back on a season and feel that I achieved some new goal. So onward and upward.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-02-2019 at 03:36 PM.