Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 PM

Thumbs up Excellent Butcher-Butcher Bus

Hey Everyone,

I just want to give 2 thumbs up to Charles at the
Butcher Bus, just East of Sherwood Park.
My wife got her young bull moose 45 minutes
into the season on Sept. 1st in a WMU that I won't mention
way up North.
It was about 28 degrees that day and after
a 7.5 hour drive with 30 bags of ice on it, we
brought the quartered up and skinned
moose to Charles at the Butcher Bus.
He open the cooler for us at about 11:00 PM, so
to hang the quarters.
He was very straight forward and professional
and did an excellent job cutting and packaging
the animal. By the way, he does an awesome
smoked roast that is better than corned beef and
is very similar to Montreal smoked meat.
He also does a wicked honey garlic sausage.
We usually do our own processing due to not so
great butchers in the past but we are
very pleased with his prompt and professional
service and thought we should mention it
to everyone.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:16 PM

I have used him as well in the past, and received very good products from him, however there has been a lot of controversy with butcher bus in the last couple years.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 PM

Just took a mulie buck there for processing. Opened the doors to me at 11:30pm to hang my deer. Great service. Friendly and professional. Gave me some tips on what not to do next time for skinning and gutting. Always appreciated.
Gave him some moose roasts from last year a couple weeks ago and he made me some Hawaiian Smokeys....and they are phenominal....best smokies I've had in a long time.
Thanks Charles, keep up the good work.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:51 PM

i've been using him for years , since he let me drop a moose of a 3am , he makes awesome sausage!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:38 AM

I used to use him as a butcher for years. For the past two ive used Victoria fancy Sausage.

Charles is a great butcher... probably the best garlic sausage around. But waiting months and months for your meat is not cool. When he started taking on too much is when i stopped going. His hired help that cut my last cow moose probably couldnt cut theyre way out of a wet paper bag. We swear a large portion of out last cow moose.. was someone elses meat.. and some of it mule deer. Lol steaks also were cut super tiny , some off color as if it was expised to air too long? It was like some portions had a crust? And in the burger.... there was hair in it ground up.. and i brought the animal picked clean of hair. In years past.. you could roll the carcass in the dirt, dead grass and coat it with hair.... and your meat would come back as if it went through a car wash.. awesome!

Victoria will come in late at night too with a phone call ahead of time and a small after hours fee. But man alive are the cuts quality... and his maple breakfast sausage is deadly. Amongst the other fine meats he makes .

I used to enjoy Butchers bus... there are a few dragged out threads in the past about displeasure of Butchers Bus.

If Charles could guarentee me that HE is the one cutting the meat... i would go back as the garlic sausage is just that damn good. This post isnt meant to be taken negatively... just hope things have changed on the bus. Once rifle season starts.. he gets busy and the wait is long
Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 AM

I have used him before, good guy. First year he did some garlic sausage and cheese smokies from my moose. My garlic sausage had cheese through out. No biggie, I found out the guy who did the processing got canned shortly after my batch. Second moose the garlic sausage was much better. My friend got a wild boar and Charles did up some sausage, OMG it is good, still have to try the other stuff he did with that pig. I only get sausage made by Charles as we cut up our game. Anyone ever use the Guy in the Ottewell shopping centre when he was in business. Best moose/garlic sausage ever, would love to find a butcher who can compare to what that guy made.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post

Victoria will come in late at night too with a phone call ahead of time and a small after hours fee. But man alive are the cuts quality... and his maple breakfast sausage is deadly. Amongst the other fine meats he makes .
This is great to hear!! I Just picked up my Maple breakfast sausage from Victoria yesterday. Had to use up the last 12 pounds of deer from last year.

Now I cant wait to cook some up tomorrow morning!