Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-04-2009, 08:35 AM

Default Question to experienced bow shooters

I was reading in the new issue of bowhunting world this morning, one particular article stated that you shouldn't be watching your arrow all the way to your your target. I don't completely understand this. Does this affect accuracy? I've been shooting for two years now and frist year bow hunting all my groups are pretty good I think, and I watch the arrow all the way! Just wondering what other peoples thoughts were.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:19 AM

The reasoning for the advice is that a lot of people will try to move the bow out of the way in order to see the arrows flight. This WILL result in a very bad shot.

So basically don't watch the arrow, watch the spot where you want the arrow to hit.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 AM

I agree with Russ. Just work on your follow through and you will not see the arrow fly. And as stated before watch the spot you picked on the animal. You should see the arrow arrive. It's all in the form.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM

In hunting situation, try to keep track of where your arrow hit (or missed). This is very important in deciding whether or not to pursue the animal based on "good" or "fair" or "poor" shot. The shot placement and the early blood trail are important things to know to retrieve your game.

Your bow holding arm and bow should still be in the same shooting position at the time your arrow hits the target.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:12 AM

Yes okay that makes sense. I guess I'm going to pay A LOT more attention to my form. I can honestly say that I try to hold my bow in place but maybe I do move it some to look for my arrow! Thanks guys
Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 PM

As pointed out in a previous post. The reasoning behind the advice is that shooters move the bow to see the arrow in flight. However, if what you're doing works and your groups are consistently tight pay no attention to the advice.

I watch my arrow in flight all the time until it hits the target while keeping my eye on the spot I picked as target. I do so without moving my bow or release hand until I hear the "thud". What watching the arrow does is to force the shooter to follow the shot through rather then let the bow down after the arrow is released.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:36 PM

just one more thing, when my bow is tuned well I usually can't see my arrow. Think about it, you're trying to spot an object the size of a pen with vanes about as thick as 2 sheets of 20# paper flying away from you at nearly 200 mph! The only time you will see something like that is when it's on an angle.

To put it kindly, if I can see my arrow in flight it's because I have some tuning or form issues. At least that's my take on it after nearly 30 years of shooting.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
just one more thing, when my bow is tuned well I usually can't see my arrow. Think about it, you're trying to spot an object the size of a pen with vanes about as thick as 2 sheets of 20# paper flying away from you at nearly 200 mph! The only time you will see something like that is when it's on an angle.

To put it kindly, if I can see my arrow in flight it's because I have some tuning or form issues. At least that's my take on it after nearly 30 years of shooting.
You know, that being said. I can see my arrow flop around, kinda fish tail, sometimes and sometimes it's like you said can't really see it at all. Is that just bad form or a tuning issue?
Old 09-04-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmered View Post
You know, that being said. I can see my arrow flop around, kinda fish tail, sometimes and sometimes it's like you said can't really see it at all. Is that just bad form or a tuning issue?

Probably a bit of both but most likely tuning issues.....
Old 09-06-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmered View Post
I was reading in the new issue of bowhunting world this morning, one particular article stated that you shouldn't be watching your arrow all the way to your your target. I don't completely understand this. Does this affect accuracy? I've been shooting for two years now and frist year bow hunting all my groups are pretty good I think, and I watch the arrow all the way! Just wondering what other peoples thoughts were.
"become the arrow" and "watch the arrow right into the target" are actually twwo different things completely, but people tend to mix up the two.
"become the arrow" means to concentrate hard enough on the target that you will see the arrow eventually and "watch it right into the target"
However, if a person starts shooting groups , they tend to push the bow out of the way if they lose concentration, and try to see the arrow too soon.
With the newer bows this can be a hassle, but with older style bows that are slower , you see the arro very quickly if you are shooting bare bow, because you keep the arrow as close to your hand as possible.
it is very hard not to see the arrow early, even with a fast stick.

Compund shooters with sights, etc, generally have a much lower anchor, and with peep sights, whisker biscuits, and all the other stuff, an archer naturally does not see the arrow as soon.
Some archers get the two methods confused....
Cat