Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Default Inconsistent

Been shooting for a while now and i just am not getting the consistent groups that i demand of myself. At 30yds i am all around a 4 inch circle and some are inside. The same for 40 yds. I think it is my grip but does anyone else have suggestions? All sights are already set.

thanks
HFC
Old 09-01-2009, 09:09 PM

if your groups are the same size @ 40 as they are @ 30 the fletching might be making contact somewhere.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM

As a generall rule if you shoot with a trigger you should group 2inches at 20 3at 30 4 at 40 5 at fifty and 6at 60 that coming from chuck adams.Dont put to much prssure on yourself sounds like your shooting fine.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM

If your bow is tuned correctly your problem is most likley with consistancy. When your grip isnt the same you will tend to shoot left or right aswell if you are not lining your peep site up the same every time that will cause hi, lo and left and right misses
Old 09-04-2009, 06:07 PM

Tried paper tuning? I was 12+ inches at 50 yards cut the group in half after tuning.It would be worth checking out
Old 09-05-2009, 10:16 AM

I agree with Bearbuster. Paper testing is a great way to determine if your bow is tuned.

As for your grip, you shouldn't have one. your bow hand should be completely open upon release. When first starting to shoot my bow several years ago, I too gripped my bow and unknowingly, I torqued my bow ever so slightly upon release. When I opened my bow hand my shooting improved immensely.

Ensure you are concentrating on that little tiny spot on the target even well after your release. This is your follow through and it takes practice to make it second nature. I like to take little orange or yellow dots or use a marker to make a very small target. Just larger enough so I can see it with my sight. For me smaller targets help with my concentration. Even when hunting, I will pick a small spot on the animal to shoot at.

Lastly, to really improve and work on my form, quite often I will shoot as far out as 80 or 90 yards. To hit the bullseye from that range, you have to have great form and follow through. I find this a very effective way to practice and focus my concentration. Then those 30 and 40 yards shots are like 10 and 20 yards.

Anyway, hope this helps. These are just some of my own techniques I have found over the years that help me.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
As for your grip, you shouldn't have one. your bow hand should be completely open upon release.
I kinda disagree with this, really the hand should be completely relaxed and in a straight line with the bows line of force. In my case, my hand appears to be closed even though it's not. Too many of us have mis-interpreted having the hand 'open' as forced open which in turn adds it's own set of problems.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
I kinda disagree with this, really the hand should be completely relaxed and in a straight line with the bows line of force. In my case, my hand appears to be closed even though it's not. Too many of us have mis-interpreted having the hand 'open' as forced open which in turn adds it's own set of problems.
If the fingers are forced open it causes undo stress in the hand muscles and it can and will cause weird things to happen when the arrow is released, I agree with you on this russ