Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM

Default Equipment problems while hunting

I thought I'd go out into the bush today to practise different shooting scenarios in a more realistic environment than the range. While out there my peep sight came undone. I'm just wondering what other common problems others experience with thier gear while out hunting. Also, what kind of gear do you carry to fix any problem that might occur.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
I thought I'd go out into the bush today to practise different shooting scenarios in a more realistic environment than the range. While out there my peep sight came undone. I'm just wondering what other common problems others experience with thier gear while out hunting. Also, what kind of gear do you carry to fix any problem that might occur.
I have had my release fail on me once while hunting got dirty and gummed up refusing to release. usually carry spare release. dental floss for supplemental servering such as around peep sights. Otherwise really anything kind of equiment problems can happen unexpectedly and be totally unprepared for.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:45 PM

i use a " no peep" it works good
Old 08-29-2009, 01:12 AM

I had a pick a peep. Rubber let go at full draw on a 25 yard Elk shot. Couldn't see the dang pin. Had to let him go.....

I carry extra peep rubber, and a spare string that has been on the bow and shot in. I have a portable cable bow press that I can use to change string... why??.... I cut a string with a broadhead once....

Most of the time if I have an equipment failure, I just go home, and fix.
But if I'm on a trip. I take everything I can think of for all kinds of repairs.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:24 AM

Peep rubbers are the one of the most common failures going, next is stuff coming loose. I eliminated peep rubbers and use aligner nock turned upside down with a loop. (besides peep rubbers are noisey!) Even if the peep goes wonky I can fix it in seconds. Also, I use blue loc-tite on everything, rest bolts to cam element screws all get a coat of the blue.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 PM

I cary a spare string , not much else to go wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_0704_142310AA.JPG (134.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-02-2009, 06:00 AM

I know a guy that didn't have a string with him this spring
Old 09-02-2009, 06:40 AM

I try to carry a spare of everything (old string, peep, serving material (or dental floss), bolts, screws, mole hair) Basically everything I use on my bow I try to have the tools and parts to fix.

You don't need a peep sight to shoot - try it, you'd be surprise on how accurate you still are.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:06 AM

I used to be a walking tackle box, then I figured out - if I'm changing parts on my bow, I have to re-sight anyway.

I just carry a spare bow instead.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 AM

I've had my release break on me mid-way into my draw... ended up punching myself in the nose. The mulie ran about 50 yards and turned around... to laugh, I'm sure.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
I've had my release break on me mid-way into my draw... ended up punching myself in the nose. The mulie ran about 50 yards and turned around... to laugh, I'm sure.
For the same reason I got my self twice in the lips while trying to take a doe, I thought i hit the trigger on the draw.... the doe just stood there, like she knew she was safe.... she must have had a real hoot when I clocked myself the second time.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:20 PM

I have 2 identical releases, one in the truck (or camp) and of course 1 with me, set up as close to each other as I can get.

I also have a second bow set up, complete with it's own package, including arrows and broad heads exclusively for that bow! I find it funny (strange) that people ask me why I have a second bow... I know that most rifle hunters have more than one suitable big game rifle, usually X3 or 5 or 10 or more!... so why not a second bow, if you can justify a second rifle?