Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-21-2016, 09:14 PM

Thanks again for a great shoot at SPFGA. My wife and I had an awesome time. It was a lot of fun!
Old 08-21-2016, 10:45 PM

This was my first 3d event and I had a blast. Anyone who has considered going to one but has yet to attend, owes it to themselves to try at least once.
Thanks to everyone there that made it a great time and especially to those who helped out. What a great course!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:38 AM

had a great time again thanks for putting it on... of course my 4 year old has fun and cant get over her boyfriend Liam Lol... I keep telling her he's too old for her....
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-24-2016, 08:44 AM

Because of the "Crossbow Broadhead Bandit!", we are taking down all the 3D targets this Sunday at 10 AM. If you happen to be out at the range for rifle or whatever, we would sure appreciate your help. Should only take an hour or so. Thanks. Hate to take them in this early but said individual just doesn't get it despite the signs posted. Still pounding the target butts with broadheads and we're pretty sure the 3D targets will be next!
Old 08-24-2016, 03:41 PM

Geez what's with that?
Can you narrow it down to a short list of possible members based on sign in numbers or something? As a new member I was hoping to get out and enjoy some 3d throughout the hunting season. I'd love to chat with the person ruining it for everyone else. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't know better (probably not fair to do that) then hire the lynch mob after that
Old 08-24-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Geez what's with that?
Can you narrow it down to a short list of possible members based on sign in numbers or something? As a new member I was hoping to get out and enjoy some 3d throughout the hunting season. I'd love to chat with the person ruining it for everyone else. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't know better (probably not fair to do that) then hire the lynch mob after that
There's two signs at the target butts that clearly say no broadheads. Unless the guy/girl can't read, pretty sure he/she knows. I believe the rules for the 3-d clearly states no broadheads as well. But some people just don't care. Too bad they can't pinpoint who it is and revoke their membership!
Old 08-24-2016, 05:20 PM

If you place cardboard behind the target butts you can see if broadheads are being used currently. They leave a mark that can determine if it's fresh or old.

LC
Old 08-24-2016, 10:27 PM

Maybe place 1/2" steel plates behind the butts so that the broadheads are destroyed
I also saw the signs about broadheads and don't believe the one using them hasn't noticed, but they may not fully understand how much of a donkey they are being for disregarding the rule. Most people won't deliberately be that much of a knob. If they still choose to use broadheads after understanding the implications, then they don't deserve any warnings on losing their membership.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you place cardboard behind the target butts you can see if broadheads are being used currently. They leave a mark that can determine if it's fresh or old.

LC
Know for sure that the new broadhead marks on right hand 20 - 40 meter target butts are new. Just re-sprayed orange circles on butts before last Sunday's 3D shoot. Went out this afternoon to shoot 3d course and sure enough, new broadhead cuts in the target butts. One even has a brand new hole dug in it from said yo-yo digging out his broadhead. About 2" across and 3" deep! SPFGA Executive are now discussing banning the use of broadheads on the property. There's always got to be one that ruins it for all the rest of us.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Know for sure that the new broadhead marks on right hand 20 - 40 meter target butts are new. Just re-sprayed orange circles on butts before last Sunday's 3D shoot. Went out this afternoon to shoot 3d course and sure enough, new broadhead cuts in the target butts. One even has a brand new hole dug in it from said yo-yo digging out his broadhead. About 2" across and 3" deep! SPFGA Executive are now discussing banning the use of broadheads on the property. There's always got to be one that ruins it for all the rest of us.
So true....what about a mass email with the only topic being....NO BROADHEADS

There is a bloody broad head pit right there too....

LC
Old 08-25-2016, 06:46 AM

That's really not cool! I was hoping to come out there with my own broadhead target next time I'm on days off, so I can get em ready for hunting. Hopefully they don't ban them on site! I like L-C's idea about the mass email. Somebody just needs to catch this fool in the act. Problem solved!!!!
Old 08-25-2016, 07:57 AM

Lots of ideas coming that will all be considered. We really need to catch this clown in action. He obviously WILL NOT GET A WARNING! HE IS ALREADY GONE AND DOESN'T KNOW IT YET!! Not once have any of the crossbow gang come out to help this year and even with classes offered for crossbows at the two shoots, nobody has come out to join us. Re-thinking the bringing in of all the targets though; perhaps leaving ten out.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Lots of ideas coming that will all be considered. We really need to catch this clown in action. He obviously WILL NOT GET A WARNING! HE IS ALREADY GONE AND DOESN'T KNOW IT YET!! Not once have any of the crossbow gang come out to help this year and even with classes offered for crossbows at the two shoots, nobody has come out to join us. Re-thinking the bringing in of all the targets though; perhaps leaving ten out.
I think that would be great to leave a few out. Also a mass email would be a great idea, if anyone shoots the 3d targets with a broadhead then pull all the targets. I can believe someone feels so entitled that they can't bring their own target to shoot broadheads into.

I saw a couple shooting X-bows with field tips into their own target from home, to save the back stops....those are thoughtful members.

LC
Old 08-25-2016, 09:01 AM

Are there any of the "old" 3D's left...maybe they could be exchanged with some of the new ones until spring? Can you determine if the culprit is using a crossbow?
Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Are there any of the "old" 3D's left...maybe they could be exchanged with some of the new ones until spring? Can you determine if the culprit is using a crossbow?
Apparently when the damage showed up a bench was dragged over to the left 10-20 yard butts....you only need a bench to shoot a crossbow from.

LC
Old 08-25-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
That's the main problem. The old targets, of which there may be four, are so shot up that arrows will probably go right thru them. The only good thing about using the new Reinharts is that the inserts can be replaced but they aren't cheap! What Lefty said about the crossbow benches being moved is correct. This has happened each time except this last one. The bench was left were it was on the very right side under the roof but said person then shot all the target butts on the right side! Last time the bench was dragged to the far left and all the target butts on the left side were shot with broadheads!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 AM

this is quite unfortunate this is happening.... I will put this out there if you want to use broad heads and have a target give me a shout and you can come to my place and shoot.... and if you don't have a target I have one that can be shot.... then we can put a steel plate behind the buts so the broad head shooter will find out he is not welcome ...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-25-2016, 09:59 AM

Nice offer Backyard! Great ideas, guys, about putting steel backing on target butts. However, broadheads are only going deep into targets and not coming out the back. Wish they would so the idiot isn't digging so deep to get them out! Don't know if steel back would work in this case.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:14 AM

Would removing the benches make a difference? If I recall correctly, the butts are 12" deep, with the original idea that they could be turned when one side gets chewed up. If the "holes" were patched with replacement tentest that was only 8" thick, would that be sufficient for approved tips ... and if so, could easily be backed with metal.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:50 AM

well if there not going through put a steal plate between some card board and put in front of targets i'm sure they will open there eyes when they hear the twang.... lmao
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-25-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Would removing the benches make a difference? If I recall correctly, the butts are 12" deep, with the original idea that they could be turned when one side gets chewed up. If the "holes" were patched with replacement tentest that was only 8" thick, would that be sufficient for approved tips ... and if so, could easily be backed with metal.
Really reluctant to move the benches as other crossbow people use them without broadheads. Butts have already been turned once because of holes. Yes, they can be repaired with tentest again but would sure be nice if they would be allowed to last a little longer. The big holes that get dug in them to retrieve broadheads really shorten their lifespan!
Old 08-25-2016, 11:37 AM

Might be time to ban broad heads from the property or crossbows.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:53 AM

I hate the word "ban" I think we try to find who it is and turf the offender.

LC
Old 08-25-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Might be time to ban broad heads from the property or crossbows.
Really hate to "ban" anything at any club but unless we catch this joker, might be heading to a ban on broadheads on the property. Lots of ideas suggested so hopefully problem will be resolved soon. Must say though. very happy to see such a positive response from SPFGA members. Nice to see such pride taken in a sportsmens' facility with a strong urge to protect it! Thanks to all of you.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:42 PM

So, we've decided to leave out ten 3D targets and see how it goes. After the recent responses, I kinda feel sorry for the "Crossbow Broadhead Bandit" because now there's a lot of SPFGA members looking for him! Consequently, if you were planning to make a special trip to help pull the targets, thanks but don't worry about it as we won't need many to bring in the other 11 targets.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:50 PM

I am planning on shooting there tomorrow morning, going to shoot my outdoor target rig in prep for provincials and bringing my block targets to test some new broadheads. I'll keep an eye out for sure

LC
Old 08-28-2016, 04:31 PM

We left out a dozen 3D critters til maybe end of October. BUT if broadheads get used on them, they're getting stored ASAP!! So go out and enjoy them while you can. Also, just to clarify, there is a sign in the middle of the target butt lawn that states NO BROADHEADS. This applies to the target butts but you are more than welcome to bring and use your own broadhead target on the target range.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:34 PM

Thanks to" Triggerhappy69" for coming out today to help put some of the 3D targets away. Your help was greatly appreciated. More hands get the job done quicker!!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks to" Triggerhappy69" for coming out today to help put some of the 3D targets away. Your help was greatly appreciated. More hands get the job done quicker!!
AnytimeVeronica and I are more than happy to help. Make sure you let us know when you need a hand to bring the rest of them in.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerhappy69 View Post
AnytimeVeronica and I are more than happy to help. Make sure you let us know when you need a hand to bring the rest of them in.
Will do. Thanks again!