Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-04-2009, 06:02 PM

Default Bowhunting praire/farmland moose

Hello all,

I have finally got drawn for bull moose in east central alberta (8 years) and was just looking for some advice or tips on bowhunting them. I am heading out soon for a few days for a scouting/permission trip soon but plan to hunt the end of the month, begining of Oct during the rut. Is there any techniques you use for calling, spot and stalk or any other technique used in the praire/farmland area, any advice would be great. I would really like to get one with the bow, but if not i always have rifle season later on which i would probably use my blackpowder.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 01:19 PM

? wmu ,could help point you in the right direction if we knew
Old 09-07-2009, 07:20 PM

I saw a nice bull moose just west of here yesterday
Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 PM

This is what I'm going to try, the rut should be in it's intial stages around the first of Oct. My plan is to spot a bull before setting up and calling, (hopfully he's alone if he's with a cow we'll have to switch to stalking plan B). I've purchased one of those "tink's" moose scent pads to hang downwind of our setup and I think I may set up a black fabric (a tip from an earlier post on the site) decoy to get his attention as he comes in. Hopefully I'll be hunting with a bud so he can cow call him up, me hiding close to the decoy. He comes in whissssst..... arrow loosed from the ole longbow.... pics to follow.

That's my plan, here's hoping it comes to light!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 PM

I've hunted them in the northern wmu's, calling and calling to locate a bull usually works. In the farmland I guess you would have to spot/stalk and call since there are more fields than bush and alot more traffic (vehicles,farm equip. and such)
We'll giver a try and see what happens, should be fun.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:01 PM

not sure what to tell you, it's been 6 yrs since I had my last moose tag and it was so dry that go round that not much really worked. I tried some spot & stalks (mileage intensive) but in the end it came down to taking a bull with my rifle that I had seen 3 times but had scared off. Guess he wasn't scared enough.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Banned

Most farmers/ranchers want the moose shot so you shouldn't have a problem getting permission. They'll point you in the right direction too.
Once your in good moose country, calling cutlines, slough bottoms, big bluffs will produce just like the north country. Set up your shooting lanes and be ready as they can come in a hurry.

We once spotted a bull cross an old impassable road allowance, we hurried up and got to where we last saw him . From the ditch of this old road allowance, I called once. He came tearing out of the bush down the cutline that intersected the road and stopped at the fence. We were still in the ditch. I shot him at 5 yrds. Good thing for the fence! This was east of Red Deer.

If you know how to call and time the rut right, you should have no problem. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the tips, going to the area this weekend to check it out and talk to some landowners where we hunted last year. Plan to go back the first week of october and try some calling.
Good luck to you all this fall!!