Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Default need a little advice

I was out elk hunting this morning. Tried a few bugle's in 1 spot where I noticed they had been crossing on the high bank, I sat and listened for roughly 15-20 min's no response so I knew of a higher spot I wanted to try, so off I drove, got there bugled a few times and used the hochie mama a few times, i didn't have my bow in hand, big mistake, as I turned to my truck what's standing 20 yards away, a huge bull elk, no word of a lie. I know there's alway's the skeptics out there that are saying sure it's alway's a huge 1, well honestly he was a big m'fer. The thing that surprised me the most was the fact I had called in a bull elk for the first time in my life, I've only been hunting them for 4 yrs now so I've been trying to perfect the art. My question to all the seasoned elk hunter's on here is, if I went back tonite or in the morning what would the chances of the big b'tard comming to a call? After he ran I did manage to stop him with the hochie mama...........ranged him at 71 yrds, out of my comfort zone. Sound's like a real story eh, what kinda hunter has his range finder on him but leaves his bow in his pickup, answer a guy that feel's like a real big ******* rite now!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:59 PM

hey, you know he's in the area, that's a good start....i'd try again for sure. don't worry about it, we've all been caught off guard once somewhere!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:48 PM

i am not a bow hunter [ i like to reload a lot faster on those nastie thing out there if need be !!] but i can relate....words from my late father...always take your rifle wiht you when you go to the washroom.. you never know what might come by when you have your pants down......
go back and see waht is there...may be just memoeries but they are yours for a life time..... leason learned ?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 PM

Go for it.
If you don't you will never know.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 AM

good luck hopefully you can get a shot at the big guy this morning

timba
Old 09-09-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlej View Post
....words from my late father...always take your rifle wiht you when you go to the washroom.. you never know what might come by when you have your pants down......
Been there done that. Standing there watering the grass quite a few years ago, heard a crash in the bush, and had a bull elk run across a clearing right in front of me. He lived to see another day.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:27 AM

if he was there he's still there. don't think like a hunter, think like an elk. go to where he's at and get the wind in your face and go find him. when he responds, and he will, be aggressive and remember he's either looking for cows or defending his right to the cows he has. let him respond to you and see his frame of mind, he'll either come in quick or he'll try to put some distance between you and his cows. you must respond in turn. if he comes in quick, problem solved. if he stays put or moves away you have to put pressure on him. move straight at him and fast! get set up in an area that you can get a shot and bugle. this can get him riled enough to come in and sort things out.

i hope this helps and one last thing... remember your bow!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:06 PM

A lesson learned by many.. gun or bow always. I even take mine if I'm going to the S****er. We have all been there. Sorry man.