Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Default Sonic Broadheads?

Hey folks,

I'm getting back into bowhunting this year - been away from it for quite a while.

I used to shoot aluminums with 100gr. Thunderheads, and got pretty decent broadhead flight (though not bang on with the field points).

A guy I talked to recommended Sonic Heads. I've been practicing pretty much daily now for quite a while and they are excellent - they fly pretty much exactly the same as the FPs.

I'm a little concerned about the cutting diameter. They look like they're pretty darn close to the 7/8" that you have to have by law. Is anyone here shooting them that could comment? I'm shooting 29" carbons with 100gr FPs with a 28 1/2" draw and 66 pounds draw weight out of an older PSE Thunderbolt. I'm right around 5.5 grains/pound. Would I be better off shooting expandables?

Russ
Old 08-31-2009, 06:45 AM

Four broad heads I could suggest would be the Montec, Snuffer, and for an expandable the Snyper's and Rage.
I personally don't like the Sonic Heads because of the way the blades attach to the head. The furel has to be very tight behind the blades to hold them in. The way the blades come together in the front is not strong enough IMO. They do fly like field points but just don't like the design.
You could shoot expandables just fine through your bow if you like.