Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-25-2009, 12:43 PM

Default Field Points to Broad Heads

Danni and I aquired new bows about a month ago. After sigthing them in and practicing for the last month, we have our pins set up from 20 yrds to 50 yrds. We haven't tried any 60 yrd shots. Yesterday was the first time we put broad heads on an arrow, to practice. The first thing i noticed is how much lower they shoot. My shots are good, useing 1 pin lower. I.e. 30yrd pin (field point) and use it for 20 yrds with the broad head.

Is this common or are we doing something wrong? Our broad heads are G5 Montecs @ 125 grain. My poundage is at 60 lbs and Danni's is at 45 lbs.

Do you guys adjust your pins for the broadheads?

Thanks Dustin
Old 08-25-2009, 01:07 PM

I also use Montecs and I sight my bow in with them every year as they shoot high and left as compared to my field points. Every bow is different

Fifty to sixty yards is a long way to shoot with a bow.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 PM

i switched from my field points to my broadheads and i was shooting 4" high consistently at all my pins (20,30,40,50) so i just moved my entire sight and its fine... depends on the bow, broadheads, etc...

Last edited by --Adam--; 08-25-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 PM

I have never changed a thing, 100 grain muzzys.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:17 PM

Yes you can just sight in to your broadheads....But having a bow shoot with such a difference between broadheads and fieldpoints is a big indication of a out of tune bow.
Personally you would better off to tune your bow and then sight in maybe that inch or two difference. A properly tunned bow will be easier to sight, shoot and enjoy in the long run also you won't have the pain of resighting when you go to the range or shoot fieldpoints.
If your windage is good and all thats happening is you are shooting low thats an easy fix.

I should also ask are you shooting the same weight broadhead as you are fieldpoints?

Good luck
Mike
Old 08-25-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post

I should also ask are you shooting the same weight broadhead as you are fieldpoints?

Good luck
Mike
Thats probably it. Our arrows came as a pakage with the bow, being newbies, we didn't realize that field points are different wieghts. We are probably a lot liter than our broadheads.

Thanks, we will have to try new field points and see if that makes things better, as both of are bows are responding very close in that the broadheads are dropping almost a full pin.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRHunter View Post
Thats probably it. Our arrows came as a pakage with the bow, being newbies, we didn't realize that field points are different wieghts. We are probably a lot liter than our broadheads.

Thanks, we will have to try new field points and see if that makes things better, as both of are bows are responding very close in that the broadheads are dropping almost a full pin.
Also remember to use the same arrow shafts, different shafts have different stiffness and different weight per inch.

In addition I don't know what weight of broadhead Danni is shooting but I would say 100 grain max for a 45lb draw.

Good Luck
Old 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM

You need to tune your bows for broadheads. There should be very little difference in the two if everything is set right, are your arrows ballanced? center shot, ei..... Paper tune your bows and try again.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 PM

agreed, your nock height is a tad high. either lower your nock height or raise the rest 1/64-1/32" of an inch and recheck your groups.

I don't thing there's any reason that those broad heads won't group with your field points.

Also what kind of rest are you using?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:06 PM

Its funny you bring this up because me and my younger brother had the same problem, my problem is the fixed broadheads shoot WAY different compared to my field points and the weird thing was the package said it will shoot just as accurate. So then I purchased some mechanical broadheads and they shoot exactly like my field points. So maybe try mechanical broadheads it should work, well for me it did and if that does not work you might have to set your sights to the broadheads you are using.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=UTAH;376795]the fixed broadheads shoot WAY different compared to my field points and the weird thing was the package said it will shoot just as accurate./QUOTE]

Fixed heads will fly as well as field points but the bow needs to be tuned.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Why did the mechanical shoot exactly like my field points? Didnt touch a thing.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:04 PM

not enough wing area on mechanical to steer the heads. Which is why we adjust our bows by comparing field point impact to broadhead impact.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
Why did the mechanical shoot exactly like my field points? Didnt touch a thing.
Mechanicals might hit the same place as your field points, but think of it this way just because they hit the same spot does not mean that they are delivering all the energy that they could be delivering. If you arrows wobble all over the place and hit the same place great but they are losing alot of energy because the arrow did not absorb everything the bow had to give it. no take a properly tuned bow that the arrows are shooting perfectly straight they will shoot faster, quieter, smoother and penetrate better. If you want to shoot mechanicals go for it but tune the bow with a couple fixed first get the field points and fixed broadheads to hit the same spot, you will be alot happier with any arrow you shoot. your groups will prob shrink also if the bow is tuned properly. Everyone of my target bows gets broadhead tuned before I use it for competition, if I can hit 70 yards with my broadheads then I know that my target arrows will be really good.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:40 AM

I went through the same process. I paper tuned and at 35 yards my field tips where grouping at about 4". Let's say that a 3 arrow group where tearing off each others flights so I went with 3 different target spots.

Then when I switched to broadheads on the same shafts, I was falling about 4" low and about 6" side to side. I reset my pins and worked on my stance and form in general. I was able to bring my broadheads back into the 4" grouping.

Just for giggles I went back to the field tips, and although I was about the same 4" high, My grouping had tightened to within a couple of inches. Today I'm back to broadheads and need the 3 seperate spots to save my flights.

Moral of the story, settle down and work on your form.

Last edited by winged1; 08-28-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:28 AM

I'm not a fan of mechanicals for a few reasons(bad experiences). With a fix blade broadheads they say that if your tuned right they should shoot the same as field points but i personally cant get themhoned in to the same bulls eye. I don't even shoot field points anymore, its broad heads only. Something that you can get replaceable blades for when you start hunting or something that can be easily sharpened. Thats my 2 cents.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:17 AM

If you can't get field points & broadheads flying the same, there's a very good chance the arrows are either too stiff or too weak. If it's not that, the issue lies either in the mechanics of the bow or the archer.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:10 AM

Here is a stupid question.
When tightening your fixed blade broadheads to your arrow shaft do you aligne your fletching to match your broadhead blade configuration?
Has anyone tried them upside down to counter act the air flow?
Thanks
Old 08-30-2009, 09:01 PM

Google broad head tuning