Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2020, 07:52 PM

Default Seed Peanut Needed

Anyone know where to acquire seed peanuts (Valencia) in Edmonton? Hoping to find local and start them this weekend. If I need to wait for mail order it’ll likely be a 2021 “crop”.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:35 AM

Good Luck with that, I'm guessing the greenhouses will be your best bet for local although I've only seen them through seed catalogues. Our green houses are still closed down here in the Hat, they might open May 1st.
I grew peanuts years ago, nice plants with yellow flowers but not much of a crop
Old 04-22-2020, 11:53 AM

Talking

Send an e mail to Jimmy Carter.....
Old 04-22-2020, 12:36 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Send an e mail to Jimmy Carter.....
That’s awesome
Greenhouse is the only place I can think of for something like that or maybe an online supplier
Old 04-22-2020, 04:09 PM

Default I found em

The greenhouse I generally buy my bedding plants from has them. They just got their online store opened up and I got some. Just waiting for a time to pick them up now. I think I should get some peanuts this fall.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:05 PM
Gone Hunting

How about raw unroasted peanuts sold as bird food. Would they germinate?

I have a bag, how can I test them?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-23-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

They must be unroasted with the skin (not shell) still on from what I’ve read. To test it plant them about 3/4” in a sandy soil with good drainage. Valencia is one of the fastest maturing at 120 days. Not sure what those would be.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:14 AM

While not local, my wife bought some seeds from MIGardener.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:

You could try germinating them indoors. According to this article:
Initiating germination on peanut plants requires the right combination of moisture and warm soils. To simulate perfect conditions and get the seed to germinate quickly you can start the nut inside. The peanut is removed from the shell and then you soak it for at least 12 hours. Then you put the soaked seed in a plastic bag wrapped in a moist paper towel for a couple of days in a warm place. Check the seed often until the outside starts to split and a tiny green bit forms at the end.
When they say "a couple of days", I think they mean 7 to 10 days. I germinate seeds in a dark place; after all, they grow in the ground.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:

That should work, it's what I remember using from elementary school. Beyond germination, I have no idea.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
You could try germinating them indoors. According to this article:
Initiating germination on peanut plants requires the right combination of moisture and warm soils. To simulate perfect conditions and get the seed to germinate quickly you can start the nut inside. The peanut is removed from the shell and then you soak it for at least 12 hours. Then you put the soaked seed in a plastic bag wrapped in a moist paper towel for a couple of days in a warm place. Check the seed often until the outside starts to split and a tiny green bit forms at the end.

ARG
I’ve done this with Pumpkin seeds. But instead use a Jar. Worked real well just don’t let them grow much or they get entangled in the paper towel. Just like grade school.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
They must be unroasted with the skin (not shell) still on from what I’ve read. To test it plant them about 3/4” in a sandy soil with good drainage. Valencia is one of the fastest maturing at 120 days. Not sure what those would be.
Sounds like these should grow well enough but I don't think there is any way to determine what strain they are, so maybe not a good choice for your requirements.

Having never worked with growing any type of nut I wasn't sure. I know some seeds require freezing before they will germinate while others require scarification. I wasn't sure if peanuts might need special treatment of some sort.

From what others have posted here I take it they are treated like most seeds, so no special requirements.
That I can handle. I been growing things since I was old enough to hold a shovel. I have also successfully grown a number of seeds that needed special treatment, such as Spruce and Saskatoon seeds.

I will know in a week or two if these seeds are viable, but even if they are it is unlikely they would be productive anywhere in Alberta.
They are more then likely a commercially profitable type rather then a short season type.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-23-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Sounds like these should grow well enough but I don't think there is any way to determine what strain they are, so maybe not a good choice for your requirements.

Having never worked with growing any type of nut I wasn't sure. I know some seeds require freezing before they will germinate while others require scarification. I wasn't sure if peanuts might need special treatment of some sort.

From what others have posted here I take it they are treated like most seeds, so no special requirements.
That I can handle. I been growing things since I was old enough to hold a shovel. I have also successfully grown a number of seeds that needed special treatment, such as Spruce and Saskatoon seeds.

I will know in a week or two if these seeds are viable, but even if they are it is unlikely they would be productive anywhere in Alberta.
They are more then likely a commercially profitable type rather then a short season type.
Regardless what they are I hope you get a peanut come fall. I got my Valencia peanuts started today too. We will have to compare peanut roasting methods this fall. 😀
Old 04-24-2020, 03:16 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Regardless what they are I hope you get a peanut come fall. I got my Valencia peanuts started today too. We will have to compare peanut roasting methods this fall. 😀
I am only testing their germination to satisfy my curiosity,

The soils here is no good for gardening and our season far too shot for peanuts of any sort. We are in grow zone #2, my information says peanuts need zone 5b or higher.

The lower the zone number the shorter and colder the growing season is.
We are actually borderline zone #1

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-24-2020, 07:24 AM

Was playing in the dirt yesterday, cleaning out the flower bed. Well if there was a peanut sprouting. It is a lentil, should grow easily.
Stay safe