Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2015, 01:11 AM
Banned

Default Cast into small creek

One more question guys!

Let's say I'm fishing a small creek and there's no room to cast across the river because there's too much bush and trees in the way

Can you just stand in the middle of the stream and cast straight up stream?

Or do you cast in a little angle and mend your line?

Reason I ask this is because larger rivers that I've fishes I've always just casted across no face straight up stream and cast straight up stream

Thanks guys
Old 01-31-2015, 08:42 AM

It depends on the stream, but i very often cast directly upstream. Like you said, on small stream you are often unable to cast cross stream because there is brush behind you, or simply because the stream is to small. Also on small stream you dont have to mend much, of course it will depend on the stream, but for me i almost never mend. Either i casting directly upstream, so no mending is require; Your drift only last a few second, no time to mend.

When you can cast at an angle it is preferred and probably recommended, but casting directly up stream works to.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:54 AM
Banned

K perfect that makes sense, now let's say your fishing for some Browns, or bull trout and your using a
Streamer casting directly up stream the small creek, the fly drifts for a little once it's near then end of the drift can you just strip it in a bit to animate the fly wouldn't that catch the fishes eye more so?

Like even fishing across a river with a streamer instead of dead drifting it how many of you guys also strip it in a bit to add that movement?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:33 PM

Let your streamer sink to the depth needed, and then Strip that streamer and keep your line taught. The whole point in casting upstream is to keep yourself concealed to the fish. You need to fish that fly like its either

1. Trying to anger the fish and get the territorial reaction.

2. Escaping prey.

Typically prey doesn't swim into predators, so a lot of your takes casting from a downstream position are going to be purely aggression.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:17 PM

When streamer fishing small streams i like to fish downstream. Cast down, and across a bit if you want it to sink, and then retrieve back. Its been my most productive small stream streamer fishing.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:18 PM
Banned

K awesome thanks for the help guys I appreciate it
Old 02-01-2015, 04:38 PM

I'll fish up and across using a dry fly on the way upstream, then swing a wet or streamer on the way back down. Having a 7 foot rod or shorter is a must for some of the thickets I fish in. I also use the bush to my advantage to hide from trout and sight-fish in the crystal clear waters around here.

I also use this method quite a lot (and many contorted versions to get around trees to the strike zone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFBdtQfw-ZI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1170725_215876271904386_1945617812_n.jpg (58.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 02-01-2015, 05:37 PM

Depending on the situation if you need to cast across stream you can roll cast or sling shot across for short distances but if it's that small of a stream you usually don't need to cast far across. The length of the rod and a little flick will get you to where you wanna be.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:21 PM

Smile If you fish small stream a lot

You will find lots of ways to get under the alders and up stream. The "sling shot " cast in the you tube , I was shown for the first time 60 years ago in New Brunswick by an old fellow I met on the stream, he had a spinning rod, he told he his fly rod was being repaired, I don't think he had a fly rod.

He would hold the fly between his fingers, pull the rod tip back and then let go. He could get the fly pretty much where he wanted, and he was catching trout, because no one else was able to fish the spots he could get at.

Keep working at it, if you find places that others can't fish and you can figure out a way, you will be rewarded.

Have fun.