Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 PM

Default Pike flies

Im trying to find some pike flies. Some pattern suggestions and a source would be great. I found an online source called reelflies, has anybody purchased from them? Are there any Ao members with some ties for sale? Either way a Canadian source is what I want.

Be throwing them with a 10 wt so they can be pretty large. Ill be fishing the nsr alot, and local edmonton lakes... Not necessarily in need of trophy sized stuff you know, just want to catch some fish.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:09 AM

one of the sponsors of this forum,is listed on the page ickyflyworks.ca
Old 01-21-2015, 08:08 AM

Thumbs up

TRY Fish tales fly shop in Calgary ,Dave knows his pike .
Old 01-21-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
TRY Fish tales fly shop in Calgary ,Dave knows his pike .
x2...Bought a bunch of very good pike flies from them the last time I was in Calgary
Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 AM

Pm me your address and I'll send you a couple I tied.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzzz View Post
x2...Bought a bunch of very good pike flies from them the last time I was in Calgary
X3 also talk with Kurtis, he fishes for more Pike in a year than anyone I know!

Stoph
Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 PM

If u want to tie, check out the YouTube channel fly fishing the ozarks. I'm sure most of those streamers would work for pike. My fav is the panty dropper
Old 01-21-2015, 02:07 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info. I think I'll try fish tales, I have heard a lot recently about them.

I shop icky, the AO sponsor, but they don't have any big streamers for freshwater on the website. They are a great source of trout flies for me. They also carry saltwater/steelhead stuff, but I don't need that... Yet.

Pm sent open fire.

Unfortunately I don't have the gear to tie, but I think it's time to start again. I'm moving away from my spinning gear, and even hunting so hopefully the funds will be there for a vice and such soon.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:24 PM

Default Pike Flies

flint guy,

I think I could help you out, i have been tying flies for a few months now. If you like what you see PM me and you can check them out in person. They have Stinger hooks (Mustad stainless steel) and most of them are articulated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015 010.jpg (53.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 2015 008.JPG (105.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 2015 023.jpg (39.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 2015 024.jpg (42.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 2015 025.jpg (47.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 2015 026.jpg (45.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Pike Flies 001.jpg (45.0 KB, 54 views)
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 PM

Tie your own they are really easy to do. Way cheaper
Old 01-21-2015, 07:46 PM

Thanks fishslayer, I have had a great response to this, never knew that so many were into pike on the fly. I have some flies coming already, but will certianly keep your ties in mind if I cant get enough. My wife says the green/ yellow one in pic one on bottom left is super cute. Lol. Do you find the bigguns easy to tie, compared to say, a trout fly or chronomid?
Seeing them to scale against your hand really makes me wonder what Im getting into, I. haven't thrown anything bigger that a #8 wooly in years!

Sorry ice guys, but I cant wait for the open water season!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:59 PM

The big ones are about the same difficulty but they take a very long time, it's alot of work. There are a bunch of great people on this forum always willing to help. Glad you found what you were looking for!
Old 01-21-2015, 08:13 PM

Reelflies.ca

At the expo this weekend!!

-Confucius
Old 01-21-2015, 08:35 PM

Do you have an approx cost per fly on those ties fishslayer? I know they range from 4 to as much as 10 a piece store bought. I really should get back to tying, havent sone ut for about 15 years, when I lived in Kamloops area. Great trout fishin. I used to salvage alot of lead, wire etc, shoot and die my own rabbits, collect feathers.. Even trimmed the house hold pet. Lol. Any special tools for them bigg buggers?

You know what I did see recently, a whole different topic... Some atlantic salmon flies from Ireland. Works of art.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 PM

I would say $15 each minimum, they are done with EP fibers and they are not cheap. It takes me 30-40 minutes per. It is not a quick process with the work that goes into them. I have seen some nice streamers at fishtails fly shop for 10-15 each and they are half the size...maybe I am out to lunch on the price? I don't really make those big ones to sell more for personal use.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:22 PM

Wow, this pike stuff is not a poor mans game. I am going to have to start lookin into a vice and such. If I could only teach the missus to cast a fly or spey rod.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
flint guy,

I think I could help you out, i have been tying flies for a few months now. If you like what you see PM me and you can check them out in person. They have Stinger hooks (Mustad stainless steel) and most of them are articulated
Those are some beautiful ties, Slayer!! Did you make them up, or get the patterns somewhere?

Ozz
Old 01-22-2015, 05:39 PM

Thanks Ozz,

I watched a lot of videos on youtube and just winged it really, EP fibers are have a real nice action in the water, as well as the ostrich feathers on the front.

I don't think I really ever have a set plan when I start, it just comes along as I go...that's the real fun in it. I likely could not tie the same fly again if I tried.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I would say $15 each minimum, they are done with EP fibers and they are not cheap. It takes me 30-40 minutes per. It is not a quick process with the work that goes into them. I have seen some nice streamers at fishtails fly shop for 10-15 each and they are half the size...maybe I am out to lunch on the price? I don't really make those big ones to sell more for personal use.
You're not out to lunch on the price. I would easily pay upwards of 15-20 dollar per pike fly provided it is 10"+ long, how well it is tied, proper color and action. Durability is key, theres a lot of new UV resins out there, coupled with synthetics and bucktail, make some bomb proof flies.

Proper pike flies at trout fly shops are tough to come by, 10"+ are tough to come by. The good pike flies at fish tales are under their "billfish" section of flies.....

You're honestly better buying some 6/0 Hooks, buying some big fly fiber and just lashing it onto to a hook with some flash then you are with what shops claim as "pike" flies. I think a lot of their pike selection comes from the manufacturers bass selection of flies, and lets be honest, we aren't chucking 8-10wt rods day in day out to find hammer handles. When you look at it, buying the proper pike tying materials, along with a vise if you need one and etc, you likely pay for it after you've tied 30 flies or so. If you're really that keen on snot rockets.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 PM

Agreed I can tie my pike flies for a couple bucks. On stainless steel hooks and fish skulls. Maybe 3 or 4 tops. I can re use the stainless hooks year after year no problem 15$ for 25 2/0 or 3/0. Pike flies don't have to be fancy I can get away with a black bunny strip glued to a green one on the bottom with some lead wraps and that's it. Hell even black on black works good. Any length you want tie in a second hook for a longer streamer. Super simple and you will catch fish. Tie your own save your money for a good line ment to chuck big streamers. Be sure to get jaw spreaders, good needle nose pliers and make sure you crimp the barbs
Old 01-22-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
You're not out to lunch on the price. I would easily pay upwards of 15-20 dollar per pike fly provided it is 10"+ long, how well it is tied, proper color and action. Durability is key, theres a lot of new UV resins out there, coupled with synthetics and bucktail, make some bomb proof flies.

Proper pike flies at trout fly shops are tough to come by, 10"+ are tough to come by. The good pike flies at fish tales are under their "billfish" section of flies.....

You're honestly better buying some 6/0 Hooks, buying some big fly fiber and just lashing it onto to a hook with some flash then you are with what shops claim as "pike" flies. I think a lot of their pike selection comes from the manufacturers bass selection of flies, and lets be honest, we aren't chucking 8-10wt rods day in day out to find hammer handles. When you look at it, buying the proper pike tying materials, along with a vise if you need one and etc, you likely pay for it after you've tied 30 flies or so. If you're really that keen on snot rockets.
Well said Bh, I appreciate the advice and the tips! I am fairly new to tying so I wasn't about to call out some of the flys I have seen at the shops, and after looking at them I'm not going to disagree with you either.I would prefer to make my own anyways.I don't really have too much experience, but I certainly enjoy the endless creations that can be made.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 PM

You guys have inspired me to start tying! Let's see what I can come up with!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:31 AM

Default Flys

Quote:
flint guy,

I have bought a few of Tyler's flys, they are put together very well, with the best of material.he is a great guy, who is very inspired by his hobby.
Can't wait till spring to try them out.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:38 AM

Spurly,

Thanks for the kind words! it was great to meet you, and im looking forward to hearing how those flies preform for you in the spring time....Keep in touch!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:06 PM

I talked to Dave at fish tales, he has a half doz and a spool of 30# tieable wire on its way. Great guy, super friendly and answered my questions patiently and with detail. Didn't hold it against me I'm from Edm not Calgary. Lol.

Open fire has a few of his ties enroute , can't wait to cuck em!

Fish slayer, I'll keep you in mind come open water season to see if you still have any spares. Like Ozz said, I have been inspired to tie! Going to keep my eye on the buy and sell for a vice and tools. I tied some trout flies as a teen, hope I remember the basics.

Anybody take their vice with them? I always thought a portable in the camp would be great, for all types of flies. Don't know how many times I needed a color or size variation.