Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Default cayo coco all inclusive resorts??

i've seen other threads on this, here on AO.

never been to cuba. looking for recommendations on resorts. that have wadable flats near by?

thanks
Old 12-27-2013, 02:43 PM

The Melia is where I've stayed 3 times, all adults no kids...first thing in the morning you can always find small stuff, Bones, Jacks and these little surf Perch just off the beach in front of the hotel. Heading east towards the tip of the peninsula the fishing will get better depending on what the tide is doing and you'll have it all to yourself...the only issue other than the tide there is if the wind picks up, almost impossible to see fish unless there huge. There are flyshops in Calgary that set up guided trips out there, highly recommended but if you want to with a local and if he's still there, Nelson, a bartender who works in the Melia will help you out...his Uncle is one of the only locals who have a boat down there and he really knows his stuff! When your out there and the wind is howling and you can't see nuthin look for cruising Stingrays, there's almost always a Bone following and probably the biggest you'll ever see! Anywhere else I've fished for Bones I use a fast action 6wt, at Cayo Coco you need an 8wt, double digit fish are everywhere down there, good luck and have fun!!
Old 12-27-2013, 04:13 PM

Melia is really good, but the Iberostar Cayo Coco is out of sight (as far as cuba goes), just up the road from the Melia
Old 12-27-2013, 04:18 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Last year went to Cayo coco memories Caribe and it was a blast. Off of the reef we caught easily 60 fish a day just using a hook with buffet meat on it. When I go back I am bringing spoons and spinners al silver to mimic bait fish for the cuda.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
i've seen other threads on this, here on AO.

never been to cuba. looking for recommendations on resorts. that have wadable flats near by?

thanks
We stayed at the Cayo Coco a few years back. I am not sure about a flat being close by, but we took a cab (about 15 minutes) to a very large flat by the shipwreck. Some of the cabbies don't speak that good of English so just ask one of the attendants to give them directions. Just tell them you want to go to the large flats by the Shipwreck. From where they drop you off it is about a 10 minute walk through some bush to the flat. Lots of bonefish around.
We just told the cabby what time to pick us up and he was on time every day (4 days)
It would be well worth your time and money to book at least one day with a guide, preferably a guy called Duniesky, he is the fly fishing guru over there. Book him now though, as he is very busy this time of year. If you do book a guide, take a lunch and drinks as they did not supply them.
Take your won flies as the ones there are pretty scarce as material is not available over there. Also take something for the guide, they really appreciate it.
The Resort

The Shipwreck

The Flat

This is about as deep as the water gets at high tide, just above the ankles at low tide

The Fish
Old 12-30-2013, 02:34 PM

last march my fishing partner and I stayed at memories flamenco, it was ok for cuba. we didn't hang around the resort much as we fished almost every day. good luck getting a bag lunch to take fishing with you, we only got a couple dry sandwiches one day. if you are going to use a guide, tell him you will give him a few extra bucks to pack a lunch.
as for guides, make sure you get duniesky or alex. they are by far the best. Orlando is ok as well but not as good as the first two. two other guides that work with them are terrible. I have dunnies # if you need it, just pm me. dunnie is high strung where alex is pretty laid back.
I caught a big barracuda(25lbs?) out front of the resort by trolling an xrap behind a paddleboat. lots of jacks and snapper around that will hammer the xraps. take a few knife jigs with you as well.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo955 View Post
last march my fishing partner and I stayed at memories flamenco, it was ok for cuba. we didn't hang around the resort much as we fished almost every day. good luck getting a bag lunch to take fishing with you, we only got a couple dry sandwiches one day. if you are going to use a guide, tell him you will give him a few extra bucks to pack a lunch.
as for guides, make sure you get duniesky or alex. they are by far the best. Orlando is ok as well but not as good as the first two. two other guides that work with them are terrible. I have dunnies # if you need it, just pm me. dunnie is high strung where alex is pretty laid back.
I caught a big barracuda(25lbs?) out front of the resort by trolling an xrap behind a paddleboat. lots of jacks and snapper around that will hammer the xraps. take a few knife jigs with you as well.
XRAPS? What color and what is this a rapella? Surface, shallow or deep?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:20 PM

i'm not sure what the difference is between regular repalas and xraps but all the ones I have are non corroding hooks. 5"-7" shallow diving. try and get a few poppers in different sizes like 4"-7". if you are going to fly fish with dunnie, he will hook you up with leader, he likes this straight 22# stuff that ive never seen before. as well whatever flies you take with you will be "junk" to him and he will get you to fish ones he has.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
i'm not sure what the difference is between regular repalas and xraps but all the ones I have are non corroding hooks. 5"-7" shallow diving. try and get a few poppers in different sizes like 4"-7". if you are going to fly fish with dunnie, he will hook you up with leader, he likes this straight 22# stuff that ive never seen before. as well whatever flies you take with you will be "junk" to him and he will get you to fish ones he has.
He liked most of our flies and would have given his left arm for some of the rubber leg material we used. We had taken some fly fishing material down there for the guides, but no rubber legs. He was booked when we were there, but we did talk to him in the lobby one morning while he was waiting for clients.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:38 AM

thanks everyone, thanks bobalong, that was going to be my next question.

going to go in march. looking forward to it.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:07 PM

Hey guys~on the off chance you know... I'm heading to Varadero on a family vacation in early February~any tips on places to go around there? I get the sense it's NOT the best place for fishing, but I'm looking to just get out once or twice, close to the resort, for a few hours each time maybe. I fly fish, but my plan is to bring spinning gear as it'll require less effort/gear to present at different depths in different ways. If you know of any tips, any places, anyone to contact while down there even~please chime in. I've never been to Cuba.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 PM

Bragdadoe, good idea to have this fly: Cayo loco
Old 01-04-2014, 05:20 AM

did a quick google search, and came up with this........

is this what your talking about?? any other colours??i like bobalong's box, any others i should be tying? there so easy.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:

is this what your talking about?? any other colours??i like bobalong's box, any others i should be tying? there so easy.
Yup that's it...Permit like it too!!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:

I know it as the coco loco and it's a great fly. I fished with a guide in the Bahamas who insisted on using a tan crazy charlie. It worked. I secretly tied on a cayo/coco loco and started hammering the bones. Needless to say, the guide was very happy when I handed him a few at the end of the day!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:05 PM

Stayed at the Tryp Cayo Coco. Good resort. Awesome staff. OK food. Bonefish 15 min walk down the beach.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:18 PM

Hi Friends,

Heading down to Pestano Cayo Coco, next door to Memorries first two weeks of Jan.

Looking to get a hold of Duniesky? Any connection would be great. Also any thoughts on DIY or any other thoughts. I will hire a guide for a couple days.

Stoph
Old 12-12-2014, 08:38 AM

duny is great if you are a mellow person and dont get excited/upset very easily. he is very rammy and go, go, go. i prefer alex or rolando. dont let them put you with ronaldo though as he only fishes the water close to the dock that has been fished over a million times.
its best to book right with duny or alex themselves as they will only charge $240cuc. cheapest to change your money at the airpord ast the resorts are around 16% exchange rate.
make sure to take bug spray as they are really bad there. i actually got Dengue Fever there last august, not fun.

Lisandro Rivero Rodriguez (Alex)
mytarponfish@gmail.com

Duniesky Ortega
mybonefish@gmail.com
Old 12-12-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
duny is great if you are a mellow person and dont get excited/upset very easily. he is very rammy and go, go, go. i prefer alex or rolando. dont let them put you with ronaldo though as he only fishes the water close to the dock that has been fished over a million times.
its best to book right with duny or alex themselves as they will only charge $240cuc. cheapest to change your money at the airpord ast the resorts are around 16% exchange rate.
make sure to take bug spray as they are really bad there. i actually got Dengue Fever there last august, not fun.

Lisandro Rivero Rodriguez (Alex)
mytarponfish@gmail.com

Duniesky Ortega
mybonefish@gmail.com
Cheers Stevo,thanks a ton!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:07 PM

My Cuba flies.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-20-2015, 05:01 AM

Default Question about equipment

Dear Friends who can help me to choose right equpment for bonefishing.
Lines floating or intermedium or both ?
Strenght of the tippet ?
I'm going to visit Cayo Coco in may. 9th till 13th.
Maybe someone is searching for Flyfishing partner at this time. Could be cheaper a little bit.

I'm gonna be grateful for any information.

Tomasz from Poland.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:30 AM

8 wt rod is just fine. I've seen people use smaller rods, but they take a lot longer to land the fish. Saw one guy break his 8wt on a large bone fish. But it was because of the angler not the rod.

As for line I have fished for bones many times and always just used a Rio full floating line. Not a special "bone fishing" line.

As for leader I just use a straight 12 lb florocarbon leader.