Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 05:57 AM

Default Elk calling seminar?

I decided last year that it was time to get better at calling elk, and that if seminars were available I was going to attend. So, does anyone know of any calling seminars put on by someone who knows what they're doing? Edmonton area hopefully but will travel further if necessary
Old 04-17-2024, 06:33 AM

Elk shape puts on virtual seminars. Elknut, Cory Jacobson etc all have seminars on You Tube. If you sign up for the elk shape one its done over skype and they have limited participants.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:34 AM

Elk bros pod cast is another great learning tool. They also have a course...
Old 04-17-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Elk shape puts on virtual seminars. Elknut, Cory Jacobson etc all have seminars on You Tube. If you sign up for the elk shape one its done over skype and they have limited participants.
That sounds like it might be worthwhile, thanks.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:47 AM

Get the elk nut app. Great resource. With youtube and that app you might find theres no need to attend an in person seminar. Elk bros pod cast is also a good resource for while commuting. There was an older podcast called Got Game iirc. That had Paul Medel as a guest a bunch of times. Keep your reeds in your car and practice all the way to and from work while listening to these guys talk about strategy and sounds.. your calling will improve greatly!
Old 04-17-2024, 07:57 AM

You guys really think that how good of a caller you are makes a difference? Or that those guys can actually translate and tell you what every different sound an elk makes is? If so I got a bridge for sale.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
You guys really think that how good of a caller you are makes a difference? Or that those guys can actually translate and tell you what every different sound an elk makes is? If so I got a bridge for sale.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.....how successful are you at calling and killing elk every year?
Old 04-17-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Absolutely.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I've always claimed a car horn used appropriately would work, coming from the guy who called elk with a piece of plastic electrical tubing.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-17-2024, 07:16 PM

My favorite bugle tube is a Gatorade bottle with a hole cut in the end.. but if you still have to make the right noises. And not everyone can hunt the rut in a spot where every bull is screaming his head off... often in our high pressure areas bulls wont even really get vocal.. different areas are different of course.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:36 PM

I second the elk nut app. Save your money and listen to YouTube and podcasts and stream the elk nut tutorials and practice practice practice. It’s a long game. I’ve been practicing for 3 seasons and just finally starting to be able to do make some vocalization’s that would cause me to inhale the reed and choke when I first started. I was a little flabbergasted learning the calls and their meanings. To be honest a little skeptical but after spending three hunting seasons diving into elk hunting head first i am a believer after hearing the sounds in the forest. I have heard them use the different calls in action and gone from blowing opportunities with the wrong calls to salvaging blown opportunities by telling the elk what they wanted to hear to come back in for a second look.

Turns out it’s not magic they actually have a language and social hierarchy.

I also agree that on the right day a hunter can do no wrong and the elk can be “suicidal” but more often than not the opposite can be true and they make no noise so knowing what to say and in what scenario can save your limited opportunities during those tough days.

Buy your wife a nice present because you’re gonna annoy the hell out of her diving into this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2024, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.....how successful are you at calling and killing elk every year?
Extremely successful and my calling leaves a lot to be desired!!!!
Old 04-18-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter View Post
I second the elk nut app. Save your money and listen to YouTube and podcasts and stream the elk nut tutorials and practice practice practice. It’s a long game. I’ve been practicing for 3 seasons and just finally starting to be able to do make some vocalization’s that would cause me to inhale the reed and choke when I first started. I was a little flabbergasted learning the calls and their meanings. To be honest a little skeptical but after spending three hunting seasons diving into elk hunting head first i am a believer after hearing the sounds in the forest. I have heard them use the different calls in action and gone from blowing opportunities with the wrong calls to salvaging blown opportunities by telling the elk what they wanted to hear to come back in for a second look.

Turns out it’s not magic they actually have a language and social hierarchy.

I also agree that on the right day a hunter can do no wrong and the elk can be “suicidal” but more often than not the opposite can be true and they make no noise so knowing what to say and in what scenario can save your limited opportunities during those tough days.

Buy your wife a nice present because you’re gonna annoy the hell out of her diving into this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like a good plan, I’ll give it a go. Thank You.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:30 PM

Cory Jacobsen's University of Elk Hunting.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Extremely successful and my calling leaves a lot to be desired!!!!
If you are truly calling in elk using blind calling techniques...as in just walking through elk country and hooking bulls up at different times through the season you are better at elk calling than you think.
Some of the lousiest sounding bugles I have ever heard came from real bulls...thats not the point... if you hear a lasy bugle ( more of a grunt than bugle) and you fire off the biggest baddest lip bawl most likely you wont see that elk...at least not in my area... but you certainly can work a lazy non responsive bull to full throttle by your calling.... done it many times.. learning how to entice a bull away from his cows in thick timber....most times they will just push their cows away...good calling is how you get them to try to push you off rather than running their cows outa the country....
Id say if your having success calling your doing something right...if your not having any success calling and your in good elk habitat.....you should evaluate your calling skills hunting techniques.
Its never a bad idea to try to get better at something.
If elk hunting was so easy and lousy callers could kill elk everytime they went out, success rates would not be where they are......
I do agree that calling is only one aspect of elk hunting..But good calling has definitely upped my success rate by 100s of percent.
I have hunted the same general patch of crown for 20 years. First 6 years i never even saw a live bull elk while " calling" I started getting serious about really developing that aspect of my techniques and I havent gone a season since where I dont call into bow range at least 4-5 bulls/ season. Starting in August and going right through Nov.. In fact I called in a bull on Nov 30th 8 years ago.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:51 PM

Get out there and do it. Far from rocket science. Elk university huh? Who would have thunk? Any place someone can suck money out of you they will. I also have hunted the same public land area for years. All my boys killed elk when they were of age to hunt and have every year after. I’ve witnessed guys that sound like the pied piper kill bulls year after after year.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Get out there and do it. Far from rocket science. Elk university huh? Who would have thunk? Any place someone can suck money out of you they will. I also have hunted the same public land area for years. All my boys killed elk when they were of age to hunt and have every year after. I’ve witnessed guys that sound like the pied piper kill bulls year after after year.
I agree with this. You need to make the basic sounds and know when to or when not to call. If you’re just wanting to fill the freezer it’s different than chasing the herd bull but not always! You can be the best caller going but if there are to elk to hear your calls it don’t matter. Most important be where the elk are! Learn the basics have some general hunting sense and hunt where the elk are and you will kill one consistently.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
You've got to find elk to hunt elk. That's the hardest part and why we go back to the same places year after year.