Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2022, 08:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
A number of states have already banned the real time trail cameras, Canadian provinces will soon follow
Why ban a game camera?

Not sure I follow this.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-09-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The problem with terms like "fair chase" and "Ethical" is that what some consider one way, others do not.
Take a look at baiting bears, deer, minimum calibers, spears and atlatls, the list never stops.
For example, consider long range hunting unethical, yet there is no definition for " long range "
Hunting with hounds is another , heck some places do not even consider percussion cap muzzle loaders primitive arms!
Cat
Yeah I guess it comes down to who has their glitch all tied up and a knot and squeals the loudest.

Ohhh well these clubs have their views and if you want your name in a book, on a plaque etc then you adhere.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
What kind of solar panels are you running?
Just the built in solar panel on the cam itself. We normally just try have the cam face south to get as much sun as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
i have 0 issues with cell cams and i think they are quite neat. they keep me interested year round without having to burn $$$$ just to pull cards.
Keeps my kids interested all year long as well.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:26 AM

After running two cellular cams for a season I didn’t see any real advantage. In all honesty I have found them less reliable then standard cams and problematic. I did also found min have a lag time between the pic taken and sent. This can be up to 3hrs or as little as 5min

Honestly thinking of selling theses cams to get more standard cams

Just another thing that people have thoughts of hunters using the for magical advantages that don’t play over to real life

I will just hunt how I enjoy hunting and stick within limits I put on myself
Old 01-09-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
After running two cellular cams for a season I didn’t see any real advantage. In all honesty I have found them less reliable then standard cams and problematic. I did also found min have a lag time between the pic taken and sent. This can be up to 3hrs or as little as 5min

Honestly thinking of selling theses cams to get more standard cams

Just another thing that people have thoughts of hunters using the for magical advantages that don’t play over to real life

I will just hunt how I enjoy hunting and stick within limits I put on myself
Actually, you may not have to. If you don't pay for your yearly/monthly cellular fee, you can still use it as a "normal" trail cam. I have a Tactacam and that is what I do. Only pay for 3 months out of the year (Sep, Oct, and Nov). When I use outside that time period, "Normal" mode.

I have no ethical issues using a trail cam. I simply enjoy seeing what is roaming around my place year round, and of course hunting season...
Old 01-09-2022, 09:59 AM

I am in agreement with Don post #27
"I hunt my hunt"
Enough people out there beating the crap out of us about what we do. If it works for you it works for you. Lets not get into a divisive culture when our real motive should be to enjoy the sport and outdoors.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:40 AM

The mere existence of organizations like B&C, P&Y, and SCI have done more to degrade ethics in hunting than any device.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
The mere existence of organizations like B&C, P&Y, and SCI have done more to degrade ethics in hunting than any device.
I would have to agree but It’s not the organizations themselves that degraded the ethics it’s those who are so desperate to be recognized by them

That said I know there is scuzzy meat hunters out there too so not all ethics issues are guys chasing inches because of these clubs
Old 01-09-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Just think if someone decides to add fishing to this supposedly unethical debate....Fishfinders....oh and add the pollution of your gas auger, or driving on the ice.....The BS will never end.

The squeaky wheel liberals, again gets the oil.

Time for a Snickers...

Cheers,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:23 PM

A few people have commented that cellphone cameras are not that reliable, but the fact is that as more people want them, the technology will improve.

Eventually whatever 'bugs' they have today will get ironed out, to where they are infallible.

And there is certainly the ability to position several of these cameras, in your hunting area, with the ability to immediately alert you to the presence of an animal passing down a specific trail.

So the idea that these type cameras should not be legal for hunting is obvious to me.

Static trail cams, that require you to manually check the memory cards I use a bunch, and see no objection to them. All they do is show you what has passed through, but you still have to put in a lot of time, maybe moving cameras about, to figure out where deer might be.

Then the rut happens and that largely goes out the window anyway.

I have been very lucky to take deer that were on my cameras, a couple of times.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-09-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
A few people have commented that cellphone cameras are not that reliable, but the fact is that as more people want them, the technology will improve.

Eventually whatever 'bugs' they have today will get ironed out, to where they are infallible.

And there is certainly the ability to position several of these cameras, in your hunting area, with the ability to immediately alert you to the presence of an animal passing down a specific trail.

So the idea that these type cameras should not be legal for hunting is obvious to me.

Static trail cams, that require you to manually check the memory cards I use a bunch, and see no objection to them. All they do is show you what has passed through, but you still have to put in a lot of time, maybe moving cameras about, to figure out where deer might be.

Then the rut happens and that largely goes out the window anyway.

I have been very lucky to take deer that were on my cameras, a couple of times.
You don't use them so it's ok to put them on the chopping block. Got it.
Typical cannibal.

And your example is ridiculous.
The same argument can be used to ban cell phones while hunting, as one can easily alert a friend as to what's coming his way and where he should stand to intercept.
Actually, that's worse.
Maybe you're not old enough to remember when 2-way communication while hunting was illegal?

I couldn't care less what organizations like B&C think, except the last three items they have taken issue with have become illegal for everyone, not just to be in their book.
It's almost like the anti's have infiltrated their ranks.

One day, it'll be hunting in general that's on the 'ban it" list, and the cannibals will be standing alone.

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 01-09-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:16 PM

And food plots and baiting are ethical
Old 01-09-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
And food plots and baiting are ethical
Not here they're not, because they're illegal.
I don't understand your point?
Old 01-09-2022, 04:24 PM

There's already jurisdictions where 'catch & release' fishing has been banned. Harassing & torturing fish simply for our pleasure is verboten - although you can still bonk your limit and eat them. Reasons vary - some first nations (and wannabes) consider catch & release 'playing with your food' - not cool, and many PETA-types consider it an exercise in cruelty.

'Thin edges' are making wider cracks wherever you look!
Old 01-09-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Typical cannibal.

The same argument can be used to ban cell phones while hunting, as one can easily alert a friend as to what's coming his way and where he should stand to intercept.
Actually, that's worse.
Maybe you're not old enough to remember when 2-way communication while hunting was illegal?

I couldn't care less what organizations like B&C think, except the last three items they have taken issue with have become illegal for everyone, not just to be in there book.

One day, it'll be hunting in general that's on the 'ban it" list, and the cannibals will be standing alone.
The sad thing it is over a small portion of people that may attempt to use cell cams in a manner that likely won’t even succeed. I know where I use them for whitetail you would be dreaming if you think you are going to sneak into position after getting sent a pic

The truth is if you talk to majority of hunters that use cell cams do so to save fuel/time checking cams or limit their time in a location.

It would be like banning flashlights when out hunting because some might use them to shine deer after dark
Old 01-09-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Not here they're not, because they're illegal.
I don't understand your point?
They are in Alberta for bears and in Sask for whitetail and in a lot states which is just fine for B&C.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Typical cannibal.

Actually, that's worse.

I couldn't care less what organizations like B&C think, except the last three items they have taken issue with have become illegal for everyone, not just to be in their book.

I'll be 64 too soon. I suppose I'm nearly senile enough to have forgot that.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-09-2022, 07:05 PM

Just curious to know how they would know........ Not that I care about B&C or any other organization.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_parsons View Post
i'm like cat and alot of others...

I like scouting and hunting blind in the forests and open spots,,, i could care less what others do...

Go get the critter your after that suits your fancy,,, take your tech and get at it,,, or remain old school with less junk too pack along,,, use,,, or work with...

If tech is what it takes then get at it,,, get at it... There is no definition of tech ,,, is one rock more advanced then the next rock,,, is there an advantage of that stick vs this stick...

Whats that,,, you hunt with a black power,,, that seems like an advantage over a rock or stick...

What happened too the days when hunting harvesters use too gather game by bare hands...

Would that mean a person on a horse with a spear or bow & arrow has a clear advantage...

Guess it depends on what dirt field a person walks on,,, my clear advantage is just being out there too be successful or not,,, some times it works,,, alot of the time it dosen't...

The part that stands out at my success-full'ness is just being out there at the right place,,, right time,,, right critter,,, and the right opertunity too make it happen...

Yha /// nay,,, don't know since i have advantages in many ways just like others...

I bet 10 too 1 that my truck is an advantage too go too my hunting grounds,,, even though i hunt on foot...

Oh well,,, guess im stupid that way...

Im ok with either or since i hunt my hunt,,, all of us hunt our hunts...

Life is simple that way...

Oh,,, happy new year all,,, i hope all the best too many of my old crayon friends going into 2022,,, now how kool is that...

Cheers,,, don
amen!!!
Old 01-09-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
What kind of solar panels are you running?
We are running the older model of these, but same thing.

https://www.spypoint.com/en/products...olar-dark.html

We put a cell link on them to turn them into solar cams, the cell link batteries have lasted almost a year.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:05 AM

Remember be careful what you say is ethical or not and jump on a ban wagon for this or that cuz some place some where a group of wankers are drooling when hunters squabble and it gives their agenda more fuel.

Old 01-10-2022, 05:04 AM

Most law abiding hunters follow the regulations imo. Cell cams are amazing! Seeing what's been out at your set up as you sip morning coffee is pretty near like Christmas morning. The problem is that you can sit in your car or under a tree 300 yds away and get that alert on your phone that obviously some have been doing. There isn't anything fair in that... Just saunter over and shoot it. Can you imagine. End result is the same either way whether your using a cell cam or not. A harvested animal. I had the opportunity to pull a stunt like that in temps that would make you have to take the wiper blades off your truck at night to bring'em in and keep'em warm...Ridiculous Cold !! Hope they don't resort to banning them outright up here... just make another rule and off to the races we go.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
The problem is that you can sit in your car or under a tree 300 yds away and get that alert on your phone that obviously some have been doing. There isn't anything fair in that... Just saunter over and shoot it. Can you imagine.
This would be much more comfortable

Old 01-10-2022, 08:52 AM

As technology improves, fair chase will need to be defined. Today it’s trail cam cell phone technology. 5 years from now one will be able to scout waterfowl and big game in real time from the computer the way things are going.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:14 AM

what do all of the Alberta hunters think about this situation.

1) Alberta bans cell cameras for hunting.
2) Landowners get around it by using them for security.

You'll never stop technology. You're just punishing some of those that need to abide by the law while others will find ways around it.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
what do all of the Alberta hunters think about this situation.

1) Alberta bans cell cameras for hunting.
2) Landowners get around it by using them for security.

You'll never stop technology. You're just punishing some of those that need to abide by the law while others will find ways around it.
Laws only impact the honest
Old 01-10-2022, 09:20 AM

I know for sure the Fish Cops use them, so I don't see them being banned.

I'm one of those guys that use trail cameras a lot! But I have no interest in that type of camera.

The hike every month is part of the whole camera thing for me. Getting out to see the bush, maybe run into some deer/elk on the walk.

Have a nice day lads.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-10-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
x2
Old 01-10-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
what's the difference between a security camera catching an animal, and a cell hunting camera? I know lots of hunters and non hunters who use the cell cameras on their driveways. What's honest or dishonest about it? It is legal, just not to go chase an animal.

It just opens up the divide and the fight between us all.

I'm just tired of the government telling me how i can live because of other people's hurt feelings reports.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
what's the difference between a security camera catching an animal, and a cell hunting camera? I know lots of hunters and non hunters who use the cell cameras on their driveways. What's honest or dishonest about it? It is legal, just not to go chase an animal.

It just opens up the divide and the fight between us all.

I'm just tired of the government telling me how i can live because of other people's hurt feelings reports.

Well said!

Phil Shoemaker