Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-25-2022, 10:03 AM

Default EP 2.0 BRASS ANNEALER (Opinions)

EP 2.0 BRASS ANNEALER:
Thinking of getting one of these. Would love to buy a AMP annealer, but way to rich for my blood. I know a few guys have built their own and had good luck. However I like the quick cartridge change ability of this one, and my carpentry skills suck for doing the DYI projects.

Looked at some 3D printed gear boxes and such but not sure if I could get the right motors and electronics here in Kanuckastan and would I then be left with $85 USD of unusable plastic parts?

Also looked at the cheap induction hand held options but by the time I jury rig in a timer etc. I am not sure it is worth my time, and would it be any cheaper? plus you have to buy the different coils for different cartridges. (yes I know I can make my own (coils) but again is it worth it?)

I think this is the best choice for my purposes but looking for impute before I drop the hammer.

Thanks for your time.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
EP 2.0 BRASS ANNEALER:
Thinking of getting one of these. Would love to buy a AMP annealer, but way to rich for my blood. I know a few guys have built their own and had good luck. However I like the quick cartridge change ability of this one, and my carpentry skills suck for doing the DYI projects.

Looked at some 3D printed gear boxes and such but not sure if I could get the right motors and electronics here in Kanuckastan and would I then be left with $85 USD of unusable plastic parts?

Also looked at the cheap induction hand held options but by the time I jury rig in a timer etc. I am not sure it is worth my time, and would it be any cheaper? plus you have to buy the different coils for different cartridges. (yes I know I can make my own (coils) but again is it worth it?)

I think this is the best choice for my purposes but looking for impute before I drop the hammer.

Thanks for your time.
I believe Henry Remple has made his own version of these annealers, so pretty local to you. I built a DIY and it works well, doesn't look nice at all but it works. I can definitely help you figure out the parts you need if you go that route.

If you were going induction I'd definitely look at the Annie annealer but they are runing ~$800 CAD.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:24 AM

The thing about the AMP is that it’s not just an induction annealer. It is a smart induction annealer. In other words, it knows exactly how to anneal your brass. There is no guess work. I think I saw an interview with Lou Murdica where he said use an amp or don’t anneal at all.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-25-2022, 10:29 AM

Have you looked into annealing with molten salt? Pretty affordable and manufactured locally.
Ballistic Recreations dot ca
Old 01-25-2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Have you looked into annealing with molten salt? Pretty affordable and manufactured locally.
Ballistic Recreations dot ca
Yes I actually own the set up. I am a little worried about using the system in the house, toxic fumes etc. and if you can believe what AMP annealing says about the process it doesn't really work?

I have done the socket and torch system it works but I don't think it is consistent so, I thought I would go this way. As for the AMP system I just don't have a couple grand kicking around, if I did, it would be my fist choice.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:27 AM
Shooting Xs

Here's the one I built.

I now have a self igniting torch head mounted under the ramp, that way I can use a 5lb. tank with a 4 foot hose for more consistent flame and less refilling the 1 pounders.
That's the main draw back with this set up ,once the small tanks get to half fill or below you get flame temp variance due to changing pressure levels.

I keep 12-15 old brass for set up each time to verify, then it's just load them on the ramp one at a time and run it.
I have a plan to modify a longer ramp to make it auto feed some time in the future.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:22 AM

Looks good Dlab
Old 01-26-2022, 10:36 AM
Shooting Xs

I suggest looking at this also.
https://agscustomparts.com/product/ags-brass-annealer/
Buddy has this unit, works very well. If I couldn't build one, this would likely be my pick.