Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Look around and see if you can find anywhere that applies a tag system for Lakers. You will look even harder if searching for walleye tags. When tags are used elsewhere it is far more sensitive harvest and much lower tag numbers

Look at the other forms of management for bush areas or situations where Lakers populations were brought back from a crash. After switching from a temp C&R period tags were not the option for management

There is options beyond tags for Alberta but it’s a matter of what style of restrictions you support to limit harvest

But I don’t keep enough fish a year to worry too much but I do shake my head at Alberta fisheries management
I'm not sure if there are or aren't Harvest tags for lakers in other jurisdictions, doubtful but not really the point. There can always be info gained from studying how other areas manage their fisheries but I won't buy into discounting a management tool because it's not typical. They've worked pretty well in highly pressured walleye lakes, could very well work for pressured lake trout where harvest needs strict control to get the most out of the fishery.