Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-18-2024, 02:11 PM

My most used knife is my spyderco waterway. This thing has lived on my bait board for five years and sees constant, hard use.

The last time I took my decky fishing he was on a marlin, moved laterally from left to right and hit the hilt of the knife that was sticking out of the bait board snapping it off

It was like the loss of my left hand. I haven’t seen one of these for sale in the past four years and they’ve been discontinued. Hence the reason it was the LAST time I took my mate on the boat.

So I did what anyone would do and TIG welded it back together. Unfortunately the heat vaporised some of the apex although it now lives to cut again.

Then I scoured the web and found that warriors and wonders (blades Canada) had stock so I had two brought over the other day restoring the harmony on my boat.

Bit of wear over the past five years. Difficult to see if they’re not held over each other but I’ve worn it down about 1/8” along the edge.

Best saltwater boat knife I’ve run across and a pity they discontinued it. Now I will reprofile the old blade to blend that gouge out and smooth up the edge. It too will see boat duty again.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:27 AM

Pretty quiet here lately, so I figured I would share this.

Latest one I just finished yesterday. It is a drop point with a blade approximately 3 1/2" long. CPM Magnacut stainless steel with an HRC of 63.

Handle is burlap brown Micarta, with G10 neon green liners. Brass pins. Comes with an olive green Kydex sheath.

Will be posted on Buy and Sell soon...

Old 02-28-2024, 06:42 PM

Clint just finished these up for me
Super pumped
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image000001.jpg (21.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-28-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Pretty quiet here lately, so I figured I would share this.

Latest one I just finished yesterday. It is a drop point with a blade approximately 3 1/2" long. CPM Magnacut stainless steel with an HRC of 63.

Handle is burlap brown Micarta, with G10 neon green liners. Brass pins. Comes with an olive green Kydex sheath.

Will be posted on Buy and Sell soon...

That's a beauty of a knife Phil!
Old 02-28-2024, 07:44 PM

I got an Outdoor Edge Knife with replaceable blades and so far it has been my go to knife. Just make sure it gets taken apart and wash thoroughly after use.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:51 PM

Ya they are ok! But when you use a custom new knife, you know what’s in your hand! Like you said, and they are always sharp,
but you have to clean the real good! Which we always do! But when you learn to sharpen your knife the correct way! I will always use my custom knife! Each to their own!

But Outdoor Edge Knife with replaceable blades and so far it has been my go to knife. Just make sure it gets taken apart and wash thoroughly after use.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-05-2024, 08:04 AM

This thread has been really interesting and has showcased some really impressive craftsmanship.
I have no doubt that a perfectly honed Magnacut blade will outperform almost anything else but...
Being a practical guy (and kinda cheap) I carry three knives whenever I am hunting big game.
A Fieldcraft "Zip Knife" - makes opening up the animal REALLY easy
A Fieldcraft "Razor Knife" - replaceable blades - what's not to like and yess you have to really pay attention to getting it clean afterward
A Grohmann 103 - the best designed general purpose big game knife I have come across to date.

I have done many deer and a couple of moose with this combination
No complaints and all for less than $200 as the original title suggests
and if I lose one, it won't be a one of a kind irreplaceable.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
A Grohmann 103 - the best designed general purpose big game knife I have come across to date.
No flame here, but I see the #1 Russell belt knife as a better "general purpose BG knife". The smaller size and drop point make it better for dressing game while the elliptical shape blade make it a very good choice to skinning.

The old carbon one in the middle is mine. I found it in a pawn shop for $20 out the door. The one on the top is a Bark River CDN that I had reshaped to approximate the smaller #1. It might be a bit better for larger (than deer) game.

Last edited by SuperCub; 03-05-2024 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:29 AM

Grohmann #1
Bottom blade
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181216_125631.jpg (26.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-07-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman View Post
Grohmann #1
Bottom blade

Those handles look awesome on those knives.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:08 AM

Hey Guys,

I should have taken some photos but it completely slipped my mind while I was doing it. I had some walleye to fillet yesterday and instead of grabbing my Fillet knife I grabbed the Benchmade Meatcrafter I have because I was wondering how it would work on fish...

My point here being is that just because something isn't labeled a Fillet knife it could still do a wicked job on fish if the shape of the blade is correct. If anyone else has one kicking around and you like to fish I would recomend you trying it becasue I had a very pleasant suprise when I did.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:01 AM

This is my own gutting knife design, which I have recently completed. Made a few of these in the past.

The commercial version has a concave curve at the cutting edge. Although it works well, it is challenging to properly sharpen as you cannot use a flat stone. One can only use a round sharpening tool, which is difficult to maintain an adequate bevel. My design has a straight edge, making it easy to sharpen.

This one is made out of 1084 High Carbon Steel. It has been heat treated/tempered at HRC 61-62. Edge sharpened at 20 degrees.

The handle is made out of "Buckskin" Dymalux , brown, beige, and grey in color. Copper pins to finish it.

This one will be in the Buy and Sell section soon...

Old 03-12-2024, 08:06 PM

Looks great!

Quote:
This is my own gutting knife design, which I have recently completed. Made a few of these in the past.

The commercial version has a concave curve at the cutting edge. Although it works well, it is challenging to properly sharpen as you cannot use a flat stone. One can only use a round sharpening tool, which is difficult to maintain an adequate bevel. My design has a straight edge, making it easy to sharpen.

This one is made out of 1084 High Carbon Steel. It has been heat treated/tempered at HRC 61-62. Edge sharpened at 20 degrees.

The handle is made out of "Buckskin" Dymalux , brown, beige, and grey in color. Copper pins to finish it.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Absolute art….
Old 03-13-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:

Someone will be lucky to get this one Phil.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:24 PM

Default New Knives!

From our own Phil McCracken. First one, a Paring Knife was made for my wife!
Metal: 52100 High Carbon Steel, HRC 59 and is super sharp!
Handle: White Juma
Stainless steel pins'
Sharpened @ 15 degrees

My knife is: A Drop Point
CMP Magnacut sharpened @ 17 degrees
HRC 63
Handle: Burlap ( brown) Micarta
Neon Green G10 Liners
With brsss pins.
Kydex Sheath
Man, both of these knives are super sharp. and very well made! he posted a picture of the knife I wanted. But he said it sold 5 days prior! Asked if he could make me one in the picture? And he said yes! Thanks Again Phil!
Old 03-28-2024, 09:25 AM

Those are real nice
Old 03-28-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Those are real nice
X2 really like both! nice work
Old 03-28-2024, 10:17 AM

Nice score, bad brass.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:24 AM

At the beginning of this thread there was a lot of talk about Grohmann. Interestingly, I saw on Clint Chisan’s Instagram page a set of Magnacut skinning knives for a moose guide based on the Grohmann #1 design. Thought I’d post the pic. If I didn’t have two of his knives in the past year, I’d be getting in line for one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by sns2; 03-28-2024 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:52 AM

They look great! We went out East, and was going to the Grohmann plant in Pictou, Nova Scotia! But with covid, they did not have any workers a year latter to give a walk through the plant! Was looking forward to that! Next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
At the beginning of this thread there was a lot of talk about Grohmann. Interestingly, I saw on Clint Chisan’s Instagram page a set of Magnacut skinning knives for a moose guide based on the Grohmann #1 design. Thought I’d post the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by badbrass; 03-28-2024 at 10:58 AM.