Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2019, 03:46 PM

Default Pheasant Hunt Today

I met a fellow AO member that has a young dog, but wanted to watch an experienced dog in action, as well as experiencing his first pheasant hunt. There were actually more hunters and dogs than I have seen st Daysland this year, but we managed to avoid the other hunters. It was pretty much calm this morning, which didn't help, but we found six birds, and brought home the four that offered shot opportunities. I did get to witness another hunter killing his first pheasant, and he did get to experience six points, and multiple shot opportunities. One bird hopped up in a tree, and I ended up shaking the tree to try and flush it in front of the other hunter. Overall, it was an entertaining time , and hopefully the other hunter learned a bit about pheasant hunting.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I met a fellow AO member that has a young dog, but wanted to watch an experienced dog in action, as well as experiencing his first pheasant hunt. There were actually more hunters and dogs than I have seen st Daysland this year, but we managed to avoid the other hunters. It was pretty much calm this morning, which didn't help, but we found six birds, and brought home the four that offered shot opportunities. I did get to witness another hunter killing his first pheasant, and he did get to experience six points, and multiple shot opportunities. One bird hopped up in a tree, and I ended up shaking the tree to try and flush it in front of the other hunter. Overall, it was an entertaining time , and hopefully the other hunter learned a bit about pheasant hunting.
Kudos for your kindness and commitment to helping new hunters. I have lurked here for a long time (only recently started posting) and you stand out as a positive person. Keep it up.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:44 PM

Default I relaxed one

Today with the Ithaca 37 FWT /20ga and #4 real Imperial shells from days gone by.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:51 AM

Thanks again for taking me out EH11.

It was awesome to see Butch work the area and key in on the scent to zero in on the birds. He’s quite an amazing dog.

Both Ruger and I had a blast, and he had a quiet ride home

And also many thanks for giving me your limit, it is much appreciated!

Old 09-22-2019, 08:34 AM

Any guy that has a Lab and plucks pheasants in the wife's kitchen is a solid dude in my books
Old 09-22-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Thanks again for taking me out EH11.

It was awesome to see Butch work the area and key in on the scent to zero in on the birds. He’s quite an amazing dog.

Both Ruger and I had a blast, and he had a quiet ride home

And also many thanks for giving me your limit, it is much appreciated!

Glad you enjoyed yourself.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Any guy that has a Lab and plucks pheasants in the wife's kitchen is a solid dude in my books
When I sent her that picture, she wasn’t the most understanding!

“those are dead, wild animals on our island”

My reply; “no different than the dead domestic animals we have all the time”

I was hiding when she got home
Old 10-04-2019, 07:08 AM

I was out yesterday, and ran into a fellow with no dog. We got to talking, and it turned out that he was the son of Sullijr, a former member and friend that passed away not that long ago. I invited him along, and he used his father's Citori. The birds were in the brush, and Butch found nine birds before we were presented with four shooting opportunities, and Jack was able to take his first pheasant in several years. Sullijr had wanted to get out with me for one last pheasant hunt, but his health wouldn't allow that, but at least I was able to get his son out to take a bird with his shotgun.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
When I sent her that picture, she wasn’t the most understanding!

“those are dead, wild animals on our island”

My reply; “no different than the dead domestic animals we have all the time”

I was hiding when she got home
LOL, that's funny...
Old 10-04-2019, 10:23 AM

Default hmm

Remind her who pays half the bills
Old 10-04-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I was out yesterday, and ran into a fellow with no dog. We got to talking, and it turned out that he was the son of Sullijr, a former member and friend that passed away not that long ago. I invited him along, and he used his father's Citori. The birds were in the brush, and Butch found nine birds before we were presented with four shooting opportunities, and Jack was able to take his first pheasant in several years. Sullijr had wanted to get out with me for one last pheasant hunt, but his health wouldn't allow that, but at least I was able to get his son out to take a bird with his shotgun.
This is a wonderful story Elk, you are truly a stand up gentleman. There is no doubt in my mind that Jack enjoyed this hunt more than most will ever know. Good on you. I hope to meet you one day just to shake your hand.

Cheers,
SS
Old 10-07-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
This is great, touched me a little, I would do the same. Can't wait for my Brittney pup to get some more training. Took her out Sunday for her first taste and exposure... long way to go but it was fun.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:44 PM

Two friends are down to hunt geese, and they had never hunted pheasant, so we went out this morning. There was a crowd , so we moved away from the immediate release area, where we felt safer, and could hunt rather worry about avoiding everyone else. Six points and six shots later, we had our limits, and the boys had a great time. According to them, they enjoyed watching the dog the most . We also found a lost dog, and returned it to a frantic owner who had been running around the site asking if people had seen it. Then it was over to my house to relax and enjoy a BBQ , and a drink, and clean the birds.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Two friends are down to hunt geese, and they had never hunted pheasant, so we went out this morning. There was a crowd , so we moved away from the immediate release area, where we felt safer, and could hunt rather worry about avoiding everyone else. Six points and six shots later, we had our limits, and the boys had a great time. According to them, they enjoyed watching the dog the most . We also found a lost dog, and returned it to a frantic owner who had been running around the site asking if people had seen it. Then it was over to my house to relax and enjoy a BBQ , and a drink, and clean the birds.
Great day hard to top that one!
Cat