Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 12:35 PM

Default Hunting boots for Upland Question

I have always worn a decent pair of Merrill mid height hikers. When things are damp I add a pair of Gators. This is usually fine but if the grass is tall and wet I get wet above the gators which wicks down into my boots. I have been toying with the idea of some taller insulated rubber boots like Boggs or Muck. Saw a decent pair of Boggs on sale at Cabelas yesterday for $109. Rated to -41 degrees.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
I have some physical issues and usually need to use a walking pole when terrain is rough for balance. I wonder about the extra weight and bulk of these kind of boots when in the field?
Old 09-14-2019, 12:54 PM

For upland hunting I used to exclusively wear 8/10" leather danner/redwing boots. With the rainfall and higher water table in zone 500 the past 3 years I've switched to rubber boots. Currently using muck chore boots. All the low spots that are normally dry by fall are wet and muddy...more suited for rubber boots. I miss the ankle support that taller leather boots give but they'd be full of water by the end of each hike.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:37 PM

Muck vs Boggs --- I have had both. They fit differently and for me the only Muck boots that fit for walking were the Louisiana Hunters. I could not use Muck chore boot (donated to my son).

When it is wet I use Boggs with an arch support insole the majority of the time.

Cabelas I think has both. It would be worth trying both and walking around the store for a comparison. Also pay attention to how easy they are to get off.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
For upland hunting I used to exclusively wear 8/10" leather danner/redwing boots. With the rainfall and higher water table in zone 500 the past 3 years I've switched to rubber boots. Currently using muck chore boots. All the low spots that are normally dry by fall are wet and muddy...more suited for rubber boots. I miss the ankle support that taller leather boots give but they'd be full of water by the end of each hike.
That is exactly what I am finding with the Merrills. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Muck vs Boggs --- I have had both. They fit differently and for me the only Muck boots that fit for walking were the Louisiana Hunters. I could not use Muck chore boot (donated to my son).

When it is wet I use Boggs with an arch support insole the majority of the time.

Cabelas I think has both. It would be worth trying both and walking around the store for a comparison. Also pay attention to how easy they are to get off.
Good thoughts. I tried on the Boggs yesterday and I was initially a little concerned that I would not be able to get them off. Will go back on Monday and do a comparison. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:39 AM

If the gators aren't tall enough, I would suggest you get out of the bog

Seriously though, maybe different pants instead of different boots. I like wool hunting pants and they are very good in damp situations. They don't wick much and they dry easily.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:27 AM

If it's wet, I wear gore tex pants over my Irish Setter Wingshooter boots. I may have to cross shallow water now and then, but I never hunt upland where I need rubber boots.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:22 PM

Default High boots

Also have a pair of merrell. If your problem is just the water ging inside your short boots, you can use what I use. It's a high boot but up until my knee and there is a garter that would secure it to the nee. Cons: It's thin compared to a really though boots. Pros: It's foldable!
Old 09-17-2019, 05:03 AM

I have worn Mucks for years on wet days and they are great for me. Never have had any foot issues with them and they hold up relatively well.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:09 PM

As usual lots of great feedback. Thanks folks.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Banned

If you want to make an investment in hunting boots, which to me is a sound idea, then consider Le Chameau

I had a pair of Muck boots and after the first season the camo pattern on the calf began pealing off. I found that they aren't very puncture resistant either.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:15 PM

I have exclusively used mid-calf Red Wing Crepe sole Irish Setters for the past 40 years. I do not do up the top eyelet. Once completely dry, I always brush the seams with boot oil, and then coat the boot in mink oil, each day of the hunt. I use Gore-Tex gaiters when it is wet. The boots can be dunked occasionally throughout the day without issue. I value the ankle support on uneven ground when I am looking for birds, not looking at my feet.

Once it snows, different story. Crepe soles are only slightly better than a curling slider for a sole. I then go to my insulated, Gore-Tex Merrills with a lug sole.

Vic
Old 09-18-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post

Well I went back to Cabelas and tried a few styles and walking around a bit. You are right about fit. I ended up buying the Boggs which were on sale coincidentally. Just FYI the Cabelas brand boots look similar but weigh about three times more. Still staying with my Merrils with Gortex gators when drier conditions. Thanks again all.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydad&son View Post
I have always worn a decent pair of Merrill mid height hikers. When things are damp I add a pair of Gators. This is usually fine but if the grass is tall and wet I get wet above the gators which wicks down into my boots. I have been toying with the idea of some taller insulated rubber boots like Boggs or Muck. Saw a decent pair of Boggs on sale at Cabelas yesterday for $109. Rated to -41 degrees.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
I have some physical issues and usually need to use a walking pole when terrain is rough for balance. I wonder about the extra weight and bulk of these kind of boots when in the field?
I wear Muck boots ( and lately Huntshield) quite often when hunting upland down south , and exclusively up north when in ruffed grouse country.
I can go all day in them chasing roosters around brooks/Medicine hat area with no issue.
First time i saw my rancher buddy put them on to go after Sharptails with us I was more than a bit skeptical, but he assured me that he wears them more now than anything!
I soon found out that they are in fact very comfortable and super waterproof.
I also wear chaps especially when it is wet in the morning, and they are easy to doff if in the short grass .
Cat
Old 09-19-2019, 09:27 AM

Has anyone tried the new DRYSHOD boots. They are muck boots on steroids. They have better grip, easier to get off, more comfortable.