Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 09:33 AM

Default Just like the Good Ol’Days!!!

Been making good use of my limited time on the water this summer and fall.
Been finding new water, new locations and new tactics! Still learning lot’s about these striped critters after all these years and they never cease to amaze me. They are predictably unpredictable I guess we could say but we have refined techniques to the point that they find it hard to resist. Necessity truly is the mother of invention. If we can find them, which can often be where you would least expect it, we can usually get them to go. Spend 80% of the time searching and 20% or less of the time fishing. One of these trips limited in 25 mins. Another in under 2 hrs once we find them. Big girl was 14-1/2” and released along with many of her kin. Hope to meet her acquaintance again when she’s 15-1/2” or bigger so she can complete my wall mount. Enjoy the hunt and Good luck!
Old 09-08-2019, 10:16 AM

Nice work! Congrats on all the perch and the big one.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:34 PM

Good for you. I’m jealous. Lol. You put in a lot of time and effort and it’s paying off. It’s always great to see a limit of perch-in the summer especially. Good luck on your next outing.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:36 PM

Congrats nice Fish
Attached Images
File Type: gif big_bite.gif (7.9 KB, 571 views)
Old 09-08-2019, 06:00 PM

Glad u let some of those big girls go
Old 09-09-2019, 07:29 AM

Nice perch. I need to putting more time into them because they are a blast to fish forsure!
Old 09-09-2019, 07:56 AM

The truth be told a lot of perch lakes now are lakes with no walleye. That means that taking perch from the lake helps to keep it from getting stunted as the food supply in the lake is finite.

Hopefully the lake does not get lac la nonned this winter.

But all the same, if it is a lake prone to winter kill, and many of our small lakes are, taking fish and using fish is acceptable as sooner or later, the winter kill will anyway.

Drewski
Old 09-09-2019, 02:22 PM

Many years ago we use to catch them that size and maybe just a bit bigger at Duck Lake in BC just north of Creston at Sirdar. Now it's not worth the trip anymore. Large mouth bass also. What a lunch feast with the perch though. Good on you with the catch. Wish I new of a decent spot to get them. I only need 4
Old 09-13-2019, 06:37 PM

Thanks fellas, appreciate it! Anytime you can lip a Perch like a Smallmouth it’s a blessing and a heck of a lot of fun too! I love feeling that machine gun action on the line. Most people will lose as many or more as they hook up on or fail altogether to get them to bite so attention to detail in that department is super essential to success on these big guys. A few of the biggest fish in the pictures turned out actually to be males. Big giant 12” and 12-1/2” males, we were thrilled and also quite surprised getting those big grandpas! The males are so much better table fare we find anyways and they filet better too! Like I said it’s a process of finding them first, then technique and presentation to quickly seal the deal. They can be like ghosts, here now and gone again in a flash. Action can be fast and furious. Get up and down like your saving lives. You have to find something that they can’t resist investigating and by that I mean charging in and mouthing your bait as opposed to charging in, stopping, finning backwards and backing away. You guys know what I am talking about, I’m sure many of you have witnessed this ugly phenomenon before like I have. I’ve studied this for perhaps hundreds if not a thousand frustrating as hell hours while on the ice with a camera fine tuning presentation. Now we can turn the table on them. When we find we can usually catch wherever they may swim. Most guys don’t even know if they are there or not in open water. They have a highly developed sense of curiosity and when you are able to find them, then find something that they absolutely must put in their mouth, have the right equipment deployed, and aren’t sleeping at the switch it’s machine gun time again! I love it, but it’s both sickness and elixir!