Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2019, 08:44 PM

Default New trolling battery’s

What’s everyone’s preference on running two 12 volt marine batteries.My boat came with two interstates 2013 so I guess I’m due.All suggestions will be appreciated .its dam hard putting them in this tyee
Old 09-04-2019, 09:56 PM

I run 2 6v deep cycle 6 to 8 hours of trolling depending on wind and speed

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Default trolling batteries

I was wondering if I should try 2 12 volt deep cycle hooked up parallel or 2, 6 volt deep cycle golf batteries hooked up in series to achieve maximum trolling time? My trolling motor is a 12 volt Minn Kota 55 model. How long would they last? I realize it is dependent on your trolling speed. I do troll slow ay Maligne lake.
Thanks
Old 09-05-2019, 10:18 AM

Opto

The idea of individual batteries for Maligne is better. You go down on one, come back on the other. Leave the bigger, fully charged for the return trip so you do make it back to the launch.

If something happens on the 2 - 6 volt batteries, or you go down further than you thought, when they die, you are rowing unless you are carrying more batteries!!!

Anyway, I just replaced a deep cycle group 27 battery at Costco for about $115. The 6 volt batteries at Costco were about $120 each, and the 6 volts did not give a reserve capacity so pretty hard to compare apples to apples.

Drewski
Old 09-05-2019, 10:40 AM

6 volt batteries are made with a higher cycling capacity to them. This means if you regularly drain your batteries past 50% 6 volt batteries will last longer. The 12 volt batteries are not made to withstand constant cycling and do better when full. 6 volt batteries have a larger capacity as well when compared to 12 volt batteries.

You also get what you pay for. I would never risk my fishing on Costco batteries. Go to Canadian Energy and buy some premium batteries then you wont have to worry about them pooching out on you like a Costco battery will.

I put two 6 volt batteries I bought at Canadian Energy on my trailer over 8 years ago and they are still going strong.......My two cents.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Costco batteries have been supplied by Johnson Controls in the past. Johnson will provide any technical information you ask for. Costco 6 vt batteries are rated at 208 Amp-hrs based on information from Johnson.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:25 PM

theres nothing wrong with Costco batteries, buying the same batteries with a different 'sticker' from Interstate etc is like putting premium fuel in a car that only needs regular, you might get a 1% performance gain yet you pay 20% for it
Old 09-12-2019, 05:46 PM

https://www.cdnrg.com/products/D121200E

Discover batteries are my goto. You cant spill them, get acid on clothing, they are made for ups etc. Lat time i bought no core charges either. A lot of AH options as well.

Same batter but they do provide alot of specs on them
https://discoverbattery.com/assets/d...n/D121200E.pdf
Old 09-13-2019, 02:58 PM

I use Costco batteries too. I’ve had issues but they always replace them no questions asked. Are allowed to use your bowmount on Maligne with the main gas motor out of the water?

Dan
Old 09-13-2019, 03:08 PM

Deep cycle AGM batteries are the ones to get, no maintenance.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:54 AM

I replaced my cranking battery this spring. The boat is also a 2013.

The 2 12 volt trolling deep cycles are interstates and we had them tested and they tested great still - seem to be still holding up great - so hopefully a few more years.

I keep my boat's pro charger plugged in all winter and all the time between trips.

Not sure why the cranking one tested poorly (hence the replacement) and the other two seem to be good still.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I replaced my cranking battery this spring. The boat is also a 2013.

The 2 12 volt trolling deep cycles are interstates and we had them tested and they tested great still - seem to be still holding up great - so hopefully a few more years.

I keep my boat's pro charger plugged in all winter and all the time between trips.

Not sure why the cranking one tested poorly (hence the replacement) and the other two seem to be good still.
Interesting. Had same experience with my boat batteries
Old 09-26-2019, 08:07 PM

I had a pair of Canadian Tire batteries as my trolling motor batteries for about 7 years and badly abused them. I had replaced a failed minn kota onboard charger with a cheap one from bass pro which boiled the batteries and would then add water straight from the lake. I replaced both the batteries with Costco 31's and the charger (minn Kota 10 amp per bank) 3 years ago and both batteries are perfect. In my opinion it's the charger that makes the most difference. I keep looking at lithium but don't want less weight on the front, but would love it at the stern.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis57 View Post
Costco batteries have been supplied by Johnson Controls in the past. Johnson will provide any technical information you ask for. Costco 6 vt batteries are rated at 208 Amp-hrs based on information from Johnson.
Johnson Controls also makes batteries for Interstate, Die Hard and Optima, although Optimas quality has gone in the toilet since moving their manufacturing to Mexico. Used to be a HUGE Optima fan, not so much these days.

Anything made by Johnson Controls are good batteries for sure. ('Cept Optimas)

I would highly recommend getting a deep cycle of whatever brand you buy, money well spent.

Northstar batteries is a fairly recent upstart company that looks to be making some VERY good batteries for very reasonable prices, well worth a look for sure.
That's what I'm going to try when my last Optima gives up the ghost.

https://www.northstarbattery.com/