Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-03-2019, 11:32 AM

Default Walleye Tags

Is anyone else out there tired of the paper tags coming off after being in the water on a stringer for a short period of time? My son and I filled all of our tags again for Lac St Anne this past weekend and we always use a stringer. Of course, after about 30-60 minutes, the tags are floating in the water. These are a joke and I should not have to change the method of how I am keeping the fish until we go in because of the cheap tags.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:14 PM

Yep, seen it happen on occasion. I usually take a cooler and ice, bonk and bleed them out and in they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman80 View Post
Yep, seen it happen on occasion. I usually take a cooler and ice, bonk and bleed them out and in they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This way. X2
We do this when trout fishing as well
Old 09-03-2019, 05:55 PM

Use a stapler
Old 09-03-2019, 06:57 PM

People have been complaining about this for years.

a) Phone or email to complain to the people that matter.

b) Understand the tags don't hold up in the water and do something different.

c) Be like me and refuse to support this stupid tag system...
Old 09-06-2019, 10:47 AM

I really don't understand why they don't have tags made out of zip ties. Easy to put on the fish and won't come off.

Wait, maybe so that they can issue more tickets.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:55 PM

I usually fill my tags during the hard water season however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman80 View Post
x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Use a stapler
x2
Old 09-06-2019, 03:15 PM

I still can’t believe you have to have a tag for walleye...
Old 09-06-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I still can’t believe you have to have a tag for walleye...
This is precisely why i quit fishing for walleye......... dumb dumb dumb
Old 09-06-2019, 05:51 PM

I’ve found the best way to keep em is in a styrofoam cooler on ice. Keep your favourite beverages in there till you decide to tag some fish. Till a different way. Of managing fishing in Alberta comes along it would be nice not to hear people complaining about the tag system. Plain and simple- if ya don’t agree with it go complain about it somewhere else. I’ve enjoyed every fish I have tagged and had a lot of fun catching the ones I haven’t.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I’ve found the best way to keep em is in a styrofoam cooler on ice. Keep your favourite beverages in there till you decide to tag some fish. Till a different way. Of managing fishing in Alberta comes along it would be nice not to hear people complaining about the tag system. Plain and simple- if ya don’t agree with it go complain about it somewhere else. I’ve enjoyed every fish I have tagged and had a lot of fun catching the ones I haven’t.
x2
Old 09-06-2019, 08:37 PM

Racker; your 100% right, and the whole stringer thing is a recipe for a poor start to a fish fry.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:56 PM

A stapler that’s awesome !!!!! Stop at the store and “ I’ll take a pack of Minnows, a six’er of wildcat strong, three slim Jim’s and oh yeah a stapler. I’m heading fishing “
Old 09-07-2019, 12:00 AM

:s Ha_shakeshout::sHa _shakeshout:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
A stapler that’s awesome !!!!! Stop at the store and “ I’ll take a pack of Minnows, a six’er of wildcat strong, three slim Jim’s and oh yeah a stapler. I’m heading fishing “
Old 09-07-2019, 12:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Walleye tags...sticking or not I will never buy one.

There was 16 % of the Alberta population buying fishing licenses in the late
80-this and now is 6%.

Lakes closed for thirty years for walleye harvest now closing for pike harvest due to " no clue" biologists making decisions.
Small walleyes eating all forage fish and eating pike out of existence...
I can catch 50-80 walleye in South Buck Lake in a day but one keeper every second or third day of fishing. Now there is no pike retention...
Idiots managing fisherman, not fish population.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY

Last edited by Andrzej; 09-07-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:07 PM

Andrzej; interesting theories, just wondering where and in what medium you published your paper on the results you offer? Was a peer review done and how did that go? You obviously hold Doctorates in Fisheries management where can I access more of your published material?
Old 09-07-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Andrzej; interesting theories, just wondering where and in what medium you published your paper on the results you offer? Was a peer review done and how did that go? You obviously hold Doctorates in Fisheries management where can I access more of your published material?
Give me a break. I would take darn near anyone’s management but our AB bios right now.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
x3
Good post.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:18 AM

No room in a small boat for a cooler .The stapler is a good solution but it seems absurd that when I buy tags I should take a stapler in my gear for fishing
Old 09-08-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
No room in a small boat for a cooler .The stapler is a good solution but it seems absurd that when I buy tags I should take a stapler in my gear for fishing
How small is your tin boat? Our 12 footer with a 5 hp had tons of room for a cooler when I was a kid.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:20 AM

Filled my tags yesterday. Put the plug in my livewell and added 2 bags of ice into it. Bonked the fish and tagged them. Threw them into the live well and Tags were still on when I got home. I have used a cooler before with ice in it and had the same results. Never had a tag come off since the tags were introduced.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:07 PM

A resolution was put forward to the annual AFGA Conference to change the tagging system which was passed and forwarded to the Government. It was on deaf ears and no change.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:46 PM

Default tags floating

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman73 View Post
Is anyone else out there tired of the paper tags coming off after being in the water on a stringer for a short period of time? My son and I filled all of our tags again for Lac St Anne this past weekend and we always use a stringer. Of course, after about 30-60 minutes, the tags are floating in the water. These are a joke and I should not have to change the method of how I am keeping the fish until we go in because of the cheap tags.
Hah, I'm sorry but I just find that post funny. I'm picturing tagging a fish, putting it on the stringer, tossing it over the side of the boat and then watching the tag float away. Seems like a better way.
At least you're catching fish!
kidd
Old 09-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Strange, I can fit one on my kayak.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
Walleye tags...sticking or not I will never buy one.

There was 16 % of the Alberta population buying fishing licenses in the late
80-this and now is 6%.

Lakes closed for thirty years for walleye harvest now closing for pike harvest due to " no clue" biologists making decisions.
Small walleyes eating all forage fish and eating pike out of existence...
I can catch 50-80 walleye in South Buck Lake in a day but one keeper every second or third day of fishing. Now there is no pike retention...
Idiots managing fisherman, not fish population.
I remember reading somewhere that the reason south buck has so many stunted 35-45cm walleye is from the altitude. Not sure On the validity of that though.
I would have thought all the netting would have had more of an impact.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the reason south buck has so many stunted 35-45cm walleye is from the altitude. Not sure On the validity of that though.
I would have thought all the netting would have had more of an impact.
Nothing to do with altitude. It is due to over population and stunting due to minimum size limits. Both promote smaller fish populations.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/7707...t-jul-2011.pdf

Quote:
One of the main conclusions from the research project is that the current Walleye regulations, which allow the harvest of one to three Walleye over 43 cm or 50 cm, has a negative effect on the abundance and size of Walleye in the population. In simple terms, the research clearly shows that the current Walleye regulations result in the rapid removal (harvest) of the fastest-growing Walleye from the population. At the same time, the current regulations protect a portion of the Walleye population that grows quickly, then plateaus soon after sexual maturity and never grows larger than 50 cm in size. We refer to this growth-type as “hockey sticks” because of the hockey stick shape of the growth curve. The “hockey stick” growth-type now describes a large proportion of Walleye in Buck Lake. This growth-type in Walleye is not desirable by anglers or by fisheries biologists trying to maintain a healthy, balanced fishery. As a result, fisheries biologists would like to develop a population of Walleye in Buck Lake where a higher proportion of the population is larger than 50 cm to better balance growth-types. If this doesn’t occur, natural selection could have longer-term evolutionary consequences such as a population of stunted Walleye that grow no larger than 50 cm.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Nothing to do with altitude. It is due to over population and stunting due to minimum size limits. Both promote smaller fish populations.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/7707...t-jul-2011.pdf
2x
Old 09-13-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman73 View Post
Interesting, I was told by F&W not to keep em alive in the live well cause the tags would come off. So, when we filled our B tags we wiped em down with a towel so as not to make too big a slime ball tagged em and put them in the empty live well with some ice. So putting them on a stringer and back in the water is going to be an issue for you if F&W checks.