Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2019, 06:30 PM

Default Looking For Goose Hunting Guidance

Hi Folks, I'm looking for a bit of help goose hunting. I'm an avid big game hunter and I've always wanted to get into migratory bird hunting. I'd like to try it with someone more experienced than myself before I go invest a whole pile of dough into decoys and gear. I have permission on 3.5 sections of land southeast of Strathmore, a shotgun, and a lay-down blind. Apart from that, I'm as green as grass.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 PM

This should give you some insight.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=368490

Just because you’ve got land access doesn’t really mean you’ll have birds coming to that land.
You’ll need decoys. And.......
Be putting a pile of miles on looking for birds feeding in fields.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-18-2019, 07:43 PM

If you come up with permission for a field that has a large amount of geese actually feeding in it, you will likely have no problem getting someone to join you to show you the ropes.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:49 AM

We do pretty much nothing but morning hunts. It creates a situation where you figure out who's field it is first, then you need to figure out how to get hold of them, and very often at the time of day we are spotting, they are out on the combines or running around checking progress of those who work for them.
Some places , you don't want to talk to the wives. Other places they just give you the hubby's cell nbr. Then you run into a piece of property owned, but not farmed by those owners, they rent it out, and they may not live anywhere near there and be a real chore to find, in order to find out who is farming it. Sometimes a neighbor on that road may be able to help, if they are around.
It takes a while to get to know people in the area a bit, who's renting what land, who just bought what land, who to call for cell nbrs, who will and won't let you hunt their property. We just hit on one that I had asked originally 10 yrs ago about permission, but have never seen a bird on their property, partner did the other day, told him who to talk to. Property we hunted pretty often the first few yrs, haven;t seen a bird there now in near 4 yrs. And every year the birds seem to pick a new landowner, we haven't talked to.
We may spot fields 20-25 mi apart or 5 mi apart, never know til you get out and look around.
I calculate I'll spend about 13-1500.00 on gas this year for spotting alone. That is the stuff that counts if you want to team up with people to hunt geese. Someone that has the equipt is usually willing to take you on as long as you are willing to get out there and put the effort into spotting and getting permission. Then there is the setup, brushing blinds and takedown. And cleaning birds, if they choose to cooperate that day and let you shoot them.
That is why we do AM hunts, leaves the rest of the day to clean birds if necc. Take down and doing birds, travel, feeding yourself before bed at night til midnite and getting up at 4;00 to go spot again can be hard on the constitution.
Later on in the season, we have stayed out all day. maybe moved the dekes on the field, and just waited out the quiet period, and shot whatever showed thru that period til the afternoon feed happens. Sometimes we setup in the dark of the AM, and don't see a bird til 10:00. Had them not show til 1;00pm also.
That's goose hunting in a short description.

Last edited by 32-40win; 09-19-2019 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:34 AM

Here's the best framework for thinking about waterfowl hunting, in my opinion (IN THIS ORDER):

1. Location:
As others have mentioned, having permission on ground means nothing if there arent birds using it. You can definitely just set up in an area where birds are flying around and kill the hell out of them, but that takes a LOT more skill and equipment. It's great that you have permission on this farm and it will probably hold birds at some point, but if you want to hunt on a given day, go for a drive on the day prior and find a field the birds are using, then get permission. Be respectful and introduce yourself face to face if at all possible. I usually like to offer something like beer, pepperoni, etc. to show the farmer that I want to make it worth their time. Nothing fancy is required, but make a nice gesture. They're trusting a stranger on their property with virtually nothing to gain so anything you can do to show them you area generally respectful and appreciative guy will go a long way.

Within the field you are hunting itself, location is also important. You want to be as close to where the birds were feeding the day prior as possible. However, you also need to account for hiding, wind, and sun. Most guys optimize for the wind at their back, but I would rather put the sun at my back as it allows me to see the birds better. Plus, the birds have a much harder time picking you out with the sun in their eyes. As long as the wind is at your back or at a cross wind you're good. Hunting with the wind in your face is tougher but it can be done successfully.

2. Concealment: Can't stress this one enough. This is where most guys drop the ball with waterfowl hunting. My general rule of thumb is spend another 15 minutes working on your blind(s) once you think it's brushed well enough. Down in the states I hunt on the edges of fields 99% of the time because it allows you to hide like an absolute ninja. Your guys' fields are much bigger so this isn't always feasible. Point is do but cut corners here even if it means you only put out half your decoys because you run out of time. Hide, hide, hide.

3. Decoys: For hunting on the X I strongly prefer realism over numbers but opinions vary there. Since you have mentioned you dont want to invest a ton, I would suggest starting with 3-5 dozen silos or shells. They will definitely get the job done. Don't just space them out evenly. Try to put some close together, leave some larger gaps, and dont face them all the same way. Think about the way geese look in a field-- irregular. Opinions also vary on whether you need to leave them an open spot to land or not. I dont think you need an absolutely massive hole but I like to at least have an area that's sparse for the birds to land in. Honkers tend to need the most space whereas snows and specks feed more aggressively and will land right in with other birds most of the time.

4. Calling This can be an incredibly powerful tool, and very underrated. That being said, nothing screws up a hunt faster than someone who doesnt know how to blow their call or read birds. The best way to think about it is dont call when the birds are looking directly at you. When they go downwind and start to turn, hit them with a few notes and as soon as they're turned around and facing you, shut up again. Hell I would even recommend not calling period until the birds fail to decoy without it.

There's so many variables to consider but if you prioritize those things that's a great start. Welcome to the sickness! Absolutely nothing better than watching a bunch of geese or big group of mallards break down over the decoys. Good luck man. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:45 PM

AS others have said permission is great but about #6 on the list;

1; are there birds in the field? Where are they coming from? Close? Far? etc.
2; are they happy and undisturbed and likely to stay undisturbed? i.e. not close to a road, tough to see, heads down, etc.?
3; Is there anyone else likely to hunt them? landowner or family wanna join?
4; Is the place they are feeding conducive to a hunt? i.e. in the middle of 16 sections of corn is tough!!
5; what are they feeding on?

PM me if you want, I do have decoys and have been stumbling around goose hunting for a number of years, not that I'm good at it, but have made many many mistakes!.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD Addict View Post
Here's the best framework for thinking about waterfowl hunting, in my opinion (IN THIS ORDER):

1. Location:
As others have mentioned, having permission on ground means nothing if there arent birds using it. You can definitely just set up in an area where birds are flying around and kill the hell out of them, but that takes a LOT more skill and equipment. It's great that you have permission on this farm and it will probably hold birds at some point, but if you want to hunt on a given day, go for a drive on the day prior and find a field the birds are using, then get permission. Be respectful and introduce yourself face to face if at all possible. I usually like to offer something like beer, pepperoni, etc. to show the farmer that I want to make it worth their time. Nothing fancy is required, but make a nice gesture. They're trusting a stranger on their property with virtually nothing to gain so anything you can do to show them you area generally respectful and appreciative guy will go a long way.

Within the field you are hunting itself, location is also important. You want to be as close to where the birds were feeding the day prior as possible. However, you also need to account for hiding, wind, and sun. Most guys optimize for the wind at their back, but I would rather put the sun at my back as it allows me to see the birds better. Plus, the birds have a much harder time picking you out with the sun in their eyes. As long as the wind is at your back or at a cross wind you're good. Hunting with the wind in your face is tougher but it can be done successfully.

2. Concealment: Can't stress this one enough. This is where most guys drop the ball with waterfowl hunting. My general rule of thumb is spend another 15 minutes working on your blind(s) once you think it's brushed well enough. Down in the states I hunt on the edges of fields 99% of the time because it allows you to hide like an absolute ninja. Your guys' fields are much bigger so this isn't always feasible. Point is do but cut corners here even if it means you only put out half your decoys because you run out of time. Hide, hide, hide.

3. Decoys: For hunting on the X I strongly prefer realism over numbers but opinions vary there. Since you have mentioned you dont want to invest a ton, I would suggest starting with 3-5 dozen silos or shells. They will definitely get the job done. Don't just space them out evenly. Try to put some close together, leave some larger gaps, and dont face them all the same way. Think about the way geese look in a field-- irregular. Opinions also vary on whether you need to leave them an open spot to land or not. I dont think you need an absolutely massive hole but I like to at least have an area that's sparse for the birds to land in. Honkers tend to need the most space whereas snows and specks feed more aggressively and will land right in with other birds most of the time.

4. Calling This can be an incredibly powerful tool, and very underrated. That being said, nothing screws up a hunt faster than someone who doesnt know how to blow their call or read birds. The best way to think about it is dont call when the birds are looking directly at you. When they go downwind and start to turn, hit them with a few notes and as soon as they're turned around and facing you, shut up again. Hell I would even recommend not calling period until the birds fail to decoy without it.

There's so many variables to consider but if you prioritize those things that's a great start. Welcome to the sickness! Absolutely nothing better than watching a bunch of geese or big group of mallards break down over the decoys. Good luck man. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

No flag?
Old 09-19-2019, 03:07 PM

look for harvested pea fields
Old 09-20-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
No flag?
Flags can be useful for sure, but in my opinion they are more likely to draw attention to your hide than they are to help decoy more birds. I very rarely use one.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Flags can be useful for sure, but in my opinion they are more likely to draw attention to your hide than they are to help decoy more birds. I very rarely use one.
I have to agree.
If you’ve done your home work and the birds are committed to a given field, the flag doesn’t give any advantage, and introduces many disadvantages.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-20-2019, 09:21 AM

Use a flag to mainly get them to turn back--works great for us
Old 09-20-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:

1. Location:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. There are harvested Pea fields surrounding the 3 spots that I can hunt on. Fortunately the landowner is well established and getting permission on other farmers land shouldn't be an issue either. He did tell me that there have been plenty of geese feeding and passing over his land, but i haven't had any time to get out myself and put in the groundwork. I think I got a little too ambitious trying to pick up a new type of hunting with rifle season right around the corner...
Old 09-20-2019, 12:26 PM

imo, goose hunting will involve more cost, more time, more energy, and more disappointments than most big game hunting situations.

is great when it all comes together, but in order for that to happen, takes a lot of investment.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
imo, goose hunting will involve more cost, more time, more energy, and more disappointments than most big game hunting situations.

is great when it all comes together, but in order for that to happen, takes a lot of investment.
I'm starting to see that. Between rifle/bow hunting and trapping, my wife and I are kept pretty well occupied already.