Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 09:01 AM

Default butcher requires a lot for processing game now?

Anyone else have this happen yet?
Brought in some moose that I had packaged up from last years hunt to get some sausage made.
They said they now require the sex, species, WIN number, WMU certificate number and tag number to process the order?
In all the years gone by the WIN number was all that was needed and of course I didn't have all that other stuff with me so had to call it in to them when I got home.
Seems a bit intrusive in order to get sausage made and am wondering what the Government has in store for all this data.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:06 AM

I've always had to provide that information when I drop off an animal, I have only used two different butchers but both required the information
Old 09-20-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Brought in some moose that I had packaged up from last years hunt to get some sausage made.
They said they now require the sex, species, WIN number, WMU certificate number and tag number to process the order?
In all the years gone by the WIN number was all that was needed and of course I didn't have all that other stuff with me so had to call it in to them when I got home.
Seems a bit intrusive in order to get sausage made and am wondering what the Government has in store for all this data.
Likely your butcher got their pecker in a vise by not taking this information gathering in the not so distant past.

Every butcher I’ve ever taken game meat to, has asked for this information.

Seems pretty reasonable to collect this information to me. It’s not like you wouldn’t have it to begin with......

There are no absolutes
Old 09-20-2019, 09:09 AM

Cut out the middleman team up with a hunting partner or 2 and buy a grinder ,stuffer , build a smoker and process your own game meat. Great hobby and you always know what is in the final product
Old 09-20-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Yep, had to provide this every time I took game in to have sausage made.

Think I'm going to start making my own in the near future..........
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 09-20-2019, 09:52 AM

All regular information I have always had to provide. Just like when people are bringing in 1/4’s make sure proof of sex is on the same leg as the tag or they won’t accept it.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
So this was meat that was cut/processed and wrapped last year? Seems strange. Guessing you wrote moose on the paper/packaging?
Old 09-20-2019, 10:02 AM

This was packaged burger that I had too much of, not a quarter or whole animal.
Again I have to wonder which Government department is taking this information and what are they using it for?
We already have polls for harvesting so why the zone and sex etc...
Are they just double checking to make sure us hunters are legit?

Also if one of my relatives gives me some game and I want to get more made I'll need to get their information to get it processed?
Old 09-20-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
This was packaged burger that I had too much of, not a quarter or whole animal.
Again I have to wonder which Government department is taking this information and what are they using it for?
We already have polls for harvesting so why the zone and sex etc...
Are they just double checking to make sure us hunters are legit?

Also if one of my relatives gives me some game and I want to get more made I'll need to get their information to get it processed?
Zackley, it’s a means of catching poachers through paperwork.

Don’t have the info, then most reputable butchers won’t touch the meat.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-20-2019, 10:35 AM

Default this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Likely your butcher got their pecker in a vise by not taking this information gathering in the not so distant past.

Every butcher I’ve ever taken game meat to, has asked for this information.

Seems pretty reasonable to collect this information to me. It’s not like you wouldn’t have it to begin with......
As a butcher shop, for years we considered "trim" or burger as processed meat and did not push the issue. Recently, fish and feathers has pushed for all the info on this other meat to be handled and documented just like a carcass. Paper trails.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
As a butcher shop, for years we considered "trim" or burger as processed meat and did not push the issue. Recently, fish and feathers has pushed for all the info on this other meat to be handled and documented just like a carcass. Paper trails.
That's interesting to know. Would have never guess bringing in year old burger would require that sort of info. As you say, it is considered "processed".
Guess those getting year old burger made into sausage need to label their packaging differently....red meat...
Old 09-20-2019, 11:49 AM

I have always provided this to my butcher, but was told this year it deepened on how much you took in. I believe 30 pounds was the number.. Anything over that, you had to have all the info.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
I have always provided this to my butcher, but was told this year it deepened on how much you took in. I believe 30 pounds was the number.. Anything over that, you had to have all the info.
I brought in 20 pounds.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:31 PM

I brought in two wt hind quarters wrapped up neat with all info on the wrapping of both quarters . They were impressed with how methodical I was with info but told me next time to leave evidence of sex and species or bring it in deboned for the next time .